What's new

Harman/Kardon AVR630 Info!!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

terence

Supporting Actor

Features:

7 x 75 high-current watts per channel (with less than 0.07 percent THD); 2 x 90 watts in stereo

Multi-channel DVD-Audio- and SACD-ready, MP3 and HDCD decoding, front-panel AV input with selectable digital-audio input/output

High-bandwidth (50 MHz) component-video switching, multi-room capability

Quadruple Crossover digital bass management for seamless, all-format integration with your surround speaker system

Handles Dolby Digital EX, Pro Logic II, all DTS modes (including 6.1 DTS-ES Discrete, DTS-ES Matrix, and DTS Neo:6)

The Harman Kardon AVR 630 is an ultimate-performance 7.1-channel audio/video receiver that integrates the company's most advanced technologies and features. When it comes to format compatibility, switching and distribution power, audio refinement, and exciting audio-enhancing features, the AVR 630 has got it going on. Its superior audio quality derives from its seven channels of high-current, ultrawide-bandwidth amplification, its 192 kHz/24-bit digital-to-analog audio chips, the latest Cirrus Logic CS 49400 24-bit, dual-core DSP with 32-bit post-processing, and compatibility with all popular and many leading-edge surround-sound formats.
The AVR 630's suite of technologies includes HDCD processing and Harman Kardon's exclusive switchable front-panel audio, video, and coaxial digital-audio inputs. The AVR 630 also offers complete Quadruple Crossover digital bass management for all inputs--critical for balancing the inputs from different surround formats--including the 6/8-channel "direct" analog inputs to accommodate playback of high-resolution digital-audio formats such as DVD-Audio and SACD. The receiver's bass management seamlessly integrates these formats with any speaker system, regardless of the capabilities of the playback device.

The AVR 630 also includes a host of important features such as A/V Sync Delay for synchronizing the audio and video signals in systems using digital video displays, external video processors, or with digital sources such as PVRs, satellite, or digital cable; RS-232 connectivity for bi-directional remote control and firmware upgradeability; Harman Kardon's exclusive EzSet remote with two-line LCD display; Dolby Virtual Speaker and Dolby Headphone surround processing; MP3 playback (through a digital-audio connection with your MP3-CD-compatible source component); and a slot-mounted tuner that may be upgraded at a future date to accommodate HD Radio.

Of special interest to custom installers, the AVR 630 offers extensive multi-room capabilities with assignable amplifier configuration and A-BUS Ready connectivity; a comprehensive selection of digital and analog video and audio connections, including two assignable, wide-bandwidth (50 MHz), HDTV-compatible component-video switching inputs; six digital-audio inputs, front-panel and S-video inputs and outputs; and a dedicated Zone II remote for multi room operation, among other features.

What's in the Box

Receiver, remote control, remote batteries, radio antennas, a user's manual, and warranty information.

From the Manufacturer

Harman Kardon, celebrating its 50th anniversary as a leader in high-quality home entertainment products, advances its position as the foremost manufacturer of high-performance audio/video receivers with the introduction of the AVR 630, which combines the industry's most innovative technologies and features with striking industrial design. The receiver redefines audio/video receiver performance and flexibility in its category, offering exceptional operational versatility for custom installations, multi-room applications, and sophisticated home entertainment systems.

Harman Kardon's 7.1-channel AVR 630 is one of the first to offer a Quadruple Crossover Bass Manager that allows the selection of one of six different crossover frequencies for each of the four loudspeaker positions in a 7.1-channel system. The AVR 630 also incorporates a host of leading-edge features such as bi-directional RS-232 connectivity with firmware upgradeability, Dolby Virtual Speaker and Dolby Headphone processing, assignable HDTV-compatible digital-audio inputs, wide-bandwidth component-video inputs, and A/V Sync Delay, along with many additional refinements.

The AVR 630 utilizes high-current, ultrawide-bandwidth amplifier sections with discrete output devices--a cornerstone of Harman Kardon receiver technology. This superior amplifier topology reproduces digital movie soundtracks and high-resolution music discs with exceptional fidelity and dynamic authority even into difficult-to-drive loudspeakers, with more accurate frequency response in the audible range, lower distortion, superior phase linearity, and increased high-frequency headroom.

The AVR 630 uses a variable-speed fan that adjusts its speed according to the input from a microprocessor-controlled monitoring system. This assures that the fan is activated only when needed, and when the volume level is high enough to mask any air-flow noise--eliminating the possibility of overheating, while minimizing fan noise during quiet passages.

The receiver provides comprehensive bass-management capabilities to optimize the performance of the source components and loudspeakers in a multichannel home entertainment system. The AVR 630's Quadruple Crossover Bass Manager lets you select from among six different crossover frequencies for the front L/R, center, surround L/R and surround back L/R speakers, to tailor the audio output fed to each set of speakers and yield the optimum frequency response and performance from all the speakers in a 7.1-channel system.

The Quadruple or Triple Crossover Bass-Management Systems are much more precise and comprehensive than those available from most competitive receivers and DVD players, which have more limited crossover filtering options or none at all. In addition, different crossover points can be set for different program sources, enabling each source input to be optimized for music or movie soundtrack playback and the user's loudspeaker system.

The Bass Management System also operates in conjunction with the receiver's 8-channel analog direct inputs provided for connection to a DVD-Audio, SACD, or universal player. The AVR 630 offers the option of either passing their outputs through a direct "bypass" mode, or digitizing them so the Bass-Management System may be used, to obtain best sonic performance from a source component that does not have internal bass management.

The AVR 630 is also among the first home theater receivers to include Dolby Virtual Speaker processing, which provides a convincing surround sound listening experience from two loudspeakers, along with enhanced sonic realism when used in conjunction with Dolby Pro Logic II decoding. The receiver also features Dolby Headphone processing and built-in MP3 decoding, and handles all popular surround formats with ease, such as Dolby Digital EX and Dolby Digital, all DTS modes, including 6.1 DTS-ES Discrete, DTS-ES Matrix, DTS Neo:6 (Cinema 6.1/5.1 and Music 6.1/5.1) and the latest DTS 96/24 high-resolution audio technology. The AVR 630 also provides High-Definition Compatible Digital (HDCD) processing to deliver the best-possible sound quality from CDs.

Harman Kardon's proprietary Logic 7 audio technologies deliver improved, derived multichannel reproduction from both matrix-encoded and two-channel stereo recordings with derived stereo decoding (unlike the mono decoding provided by other 6.1 formats) for the back surround channels. Logic 7 is compatible with 96 kHz sources and offers two listening modes, Cinema and Music, for improved playback of both matrix-encoded movie soundtracks and two-channel music recordings. The sonic result is better imaging and separation along with a greater sense of envelopment and a more seamless sound field. The AVR 630 also uses Harman International's patented VMAx Virtual Theater audio processing, a DSP method of producing realistic, high-fidelity, three-dimensional, 360-degree surround sound audio from two-channel stereo and matrix-encoded multichannel audio sources, using just two loudspeakers or headphones.

For exceptional resolution, channel separation, and dynamic range, the receiver uses audiophile-quality 24-bit/192 kHz audio D/A converters and DSP processors. The AVR 630 employs the latest Cirrus Logic 24-bit, dual-core DSP with 32-bit post-processing to achieve state-of-the-art audio performance.

Further, the receiver provides extensive installation flexibility and connectivity, with a far greater selection of digital and analog audio and video connections and control options than those found in competing home theater receivers. The AVR 630 features a bi-directional RS-232 port--a significant improvement over audio/video components with one-way RS-232 capability--enabling two-way communication between components in custom installations with integrated system control. In conjunction with extensive flash-memory capacity, the RS-232 port also ensures the receiver is ready for the future by enabling software and firmware upgradeability for the addition of new surround-sound formats or other capabilities.

The AVR 630 takes component switching to the next level by enabling either of the wide-bandwidth HDTV-compatible component-video inputs to be assigned to any video input source. An A/V Sync Delay function that compensates for the delay that can occur between the audio and video signals when digital video sources, external video processors or digital video displays are in use. Multiple S-video and composite-video inputs and outputs are also included, and the unit automatically down-converts S-video signals to parallel composite-video output simultaneously to simplify connection options and assure connectivity with all televisions.

You'll find a comprehensive selection of digital and analog audio connections, including multiple coaxial and optical digital audio inputs and outputs and 6/8-channel direct audio inputs and 7.1-channel preamp outputs. The receiver also includes digital and analog front-panel inputs. Exclusive to Harman Kardon, the AVR 630's front-panel audio/video and coaxial digital audio inputs can be switched to also function as record outputs to facilitate connecting a camcorder, CD recorder, VCR, portable audio product or other component for either playback or recording.

Its many additional advanced features include a Listener Preference System that allows users to set the surround mode according to the program source and a function that lets you set speaker-channel levels for each program source and DSP format (for example, the subwoofer level can be set differently for multichannel movie viewing and two-channel CD music listening).

The AVR 630 includes Harman Kardon's latest two-line LCD remote control with EzSet automatic speaker-level calibration. The preprogrammed and learning remote's highly legible LCD display and logically grouped controls provide easy operation and access to all functions. Setting speaker levels is one of the most critical adjustments for proper movie-soundtrack reproduction, and the EzSet feature makes the process accurate and virtually foolproof for maximum sonic benefits. In the manual mode, the LCD display enables the remote to be used as a direct readout SPL (sound-pressure level) meter for even more precise output-level adjustment. Advanced capabilities include macro programming and easy programming of the remote directly by using product brand names instead of code numbers. The remote's convenient volume "punch through" feature maintains volume control of the receiver even when it is being used to operate another audio/video component.

For multi-room versatility, the AVR 630 offers amplifier sections with assignable back surround channels, enabling them to be configured for either 7.1 or 5.1-plus-stereo dual-zone operation. All three can be used in full 7.1-channel mode, or switched to 5.1-channel operation to power the main room system, with the remaining (back surround) channels used to drive the stereo audio channels in a second room. In this configuration, the loudspeakers in both the main-room 5.1 system and the second-room audio system can be fed by two separate audio sources.

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator
If you are getting one of these units, I would be interested if they have improved on a couple of minor neuances from their previous receivers.

- Digital signal pause, while it determines bitstream. Causes 1-2 sec dropouts on CDs/DVDs.

- Have the ergonomics of the remote improved? Previous remote, had way too many small buttons, crowded in a semi-odd way.

I know these items have bugged a number of people, including myself, at times. Would be good to hear, they have finally improved these areas.

JohnS

Rick Westfall

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for that question John. I too am interested to find out if the digital signal pause has been resolved.

Rick

JessPrice

Stunt Coordinator
This may be a stupid question, but is it possible to bi-amp a pair of axiom m80ti's with this reciever, and run in stereo mode (90x2 and then bi-amped)?

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Is the 630 supposed to be positioned ABOVE the 7200? On the Onecall.com site, it's priced higher. :confused:

It's per-channel wattage is considerably lower too. 90WPC.

What's the deal?

Erik J. B.

Grip
I don't think it's a replacement for the 7200, more like a replacement for the 525. The reason it's priced higher...it's just a new model. The 525 first retailed up around this $. I would agree it's a tough decision if you want good power, whether to go with the 7200 or 630. I'll be using it as a pre/pro (whenever it comes out already) so the power issue is moot for me. My system is silent because of waiting for this (already moved my old receiver to bedroom) so I'm getting a little impatient. I've got 200 x 5 Adcom watts on an Axiom setup and an SVS sub waiting to be tortured.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
These are some really nifty recievers and I am really leanin' towards calling HK and telling them my HK AVR-225 is having problems so I can try and get a AVR-230... should be interesting. Especially since with the 230 you get component video and an extra channel.

Rick Westfall

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,

Did you read my thread how they are taking care of me and my dead receiver? They are great!

Good luck

Rick Westfall

Stunt Coordinator
I'm waiting to save the $$. I can get the 330 for $440 shipped to my door. I will have to send them my broken receiver which will probably cost about $25. Not a bad deal at all :D

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Should try and get the 230 for a little cheaper if you need to save the money... the 330 doesn't seem to offer much more than the 230 does with this years model.

Rick Westfall

Stunt Coordinator
the 330 doesn't seem to offer much more than the 230 does with this years model.
Best I can tell, you are paying for the extra amp and an extra 5 watts per channel. I will email my contact at H/K and see if I'm missing anything other than that. Oh yeah...there is a fan too. Not sure if that is a good thing or not. By the way, I can get the 230 for $319 shipped.

I think it's quite hideous looking.

I thought the AVR line is the best looking piece of hardware ever created and then they introduce this flimsy looking thing. Shame.

AndrewKC

Agent
It seems that some people like the new look, some don't. I fall into the latter category--I don't like the gray/silver look that a lot of new electronic equipment has. Call me boring, but I like my gear black!

Rick Westfall

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,

Here is the reply I received from the rep at H/K.

Besides the difference in power output, and the additional amp (for 7 channel playback), the AVR330 will also provide Multiroom capabilities. This allows you to have 2 rooms of sound playing, without having to have 2 separate systems in the house. You can play a 7.1 DVD in the main room, while another room can be set up for 2 channel CD listening. Other than this feature, the units are almost identical.
So I guess the question is...is that worth $120. I have some thinking to do.

Rick

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
I have a HK 325 with the multiroom feature. I've checked it out to make sure everything works and its pretty cool. However I haven't put it to use since then. I guess you need to decide if you want to wire your home for the remote speakers to take advantage of this feature.

Will you be using only 5.1 or will the extra channels make a difference? The 230 with 6.1 might be all you need.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
HK should allow users to choose the old black or the new silver look.

It would be neat to have a black unit with a blue knob, and the rest of the old style.

My reciever brings alot of attention since it looks like a christmas tree, red and green all over which is pretty cool and best part is it doesn't distract anyone from the TV. It's the best piece of equipment I own... one reason I am holding back from the 230 is because of the looks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks