What's new

Open Range coming to dvd 01/20/04 (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I can't wait for this one. I thought this was a fabulous film. Easily one of the best I have seen this year. I hope the Academy Awards does not forget about this one.

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
Its got 2 discs and DTS. I cannot wait to hear those gun blasts on DTS...my neighbors will hate me. I just hope the whole sound track lives up to the one in the theater.

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
DVDFile has got the goods on it with 2 discs, DTS, commentary, deleted scenes, "extensive" featurettes, etc.
This movie was SO much better than I expected and instantly jumped to second place on my list of favorite westerns, right behind Tombstone.

mckenzig

Grip
For modern westerns, let's not forget Silverado - a great tribute to every cowboy cliche ever shown, andone heck of a fun movie.
Cheers,
Grant

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Open Range hasn't even had a theatrical release in the UK - can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to the DVD release.

---
So many films, so little time...

T r o y

Supporting Actor
I too can't wait for this one on DVD.
I love a good western movie and this one certainly fits the bill.

I would like to applaud Buena Vista once again for including a DTS track. They could have easily left this off but they didn't.

Thanks Buena!!:D

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
This movie was SO much better than I expected and instantly jumped to second place on my list of favorite westerns, right behind Tombstone.
I agree with that too. Tombstone will never be topped, but Open Range is in my 2nd place spot for best westerns.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Yes, this was an incredible movie. I remembered how close I was to not seeing this. The day I went to the theater it was between SWAT and Open Range. I just randomly picked to see SWAT since I thought it would be more "fun", then when i got the theater I realized that I still had 20 minutes before SWAT began, so I walked into the Open Range theater right as the opening credits were rolling figuring I'd watch the first 20 minutes and get a feel for it and then go see SWAT. I was instantly hooked and ended up watching the whole thing and never went to see SWAT.

I think Kevin Costner is a great actor and has unfairly criticized about his performances. He certainly does shine in westerns though.

I, too can't wait for this to come on DVD, and am tickled pink it will be in DTS...

My ranking of favorite westerns are:

1. Dances with Wolves
2. Tombstone
3. Unforgiven

I dont think its fair to rank a movie after only one viewing, but Im certain after seeing it a couple more times, it will fall somewhere in my top 3.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I guess they didn't make westerns until 1990????????;)

By the way, if it wasn't for the ending, I thought Open Range would have been better than all three of those films.

Crawdaddy

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Mick

Your top 3 is good except you forget some really classics like

1) Once Upon A Time in the West
2) The Good, Bad and the Ugly
3) Stagecoach

Like both John & Gordon mentioned, a bummer that we have to wait for Open Range

:emoji_thumbsup:

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
...or High Plains Drifter, one of the best Western's, ever! :)

I have yet to see Open Range, but if it's coming that soon, I think I'll just wait for the DVD. I happy to read all the praise about it.

Peace Out~:D

Gerry A

Agent
It's not exactly a theatrical movie, but I just LOVED Lonesome Dove, and in particular Robert Duvall's performance as Gus McCrae. I couldn't wait to see him an a western again because he seems he was born to play in them. So I'm going to buy this DVD sight unseen (it hasn't been shown in theaters here as well) and I can't wait!

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
I am with you there. That was one of the best sounding shootouts I have ever heard. And if it sounded that good at the theater, it will sound much better at home.
I believe Shane (1952) was the first film to more realistically playback a gun report. Upon the first gunfire in the movie the audience jumped half-way out their seats, myself included.

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator
This one is definately on the list....

That shotgun blast in the bar was the best and most accurate sounding gunshot that I think I've ever heard in a movie theatre.

Hopefully it will hold that ranking when the DVD hits my player. :)

SPOILERS!

I did think the ending was just a little weak. I would have perfered them to just settle down in town for awhile and Charlie start seeing her. The whole marriage bit was a little heavy.

I'm going to have to count the gunshots, but I think they did fall victim to selfloading sixgun in the first part of the gunfight.

I hope we'll get to see some deleted scenes too. Maybe the barfight in the beginning. :)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
SPOILERS!

I did think the ending was just a little weak. I would have perfered them to just settle down in town for awhile and Charlie start seeing her. The whole marriage bit was a little heavy.
SPOILERS cont.

The thing is, that's the way it was back then. Especially for two older unmarried individuals (re: over 25). You didn't wait around to see if it would work out. You got married and you started a family ASAP. When problems arose, you worked at them. While perhaps not akin to our 21st century sensibilities, this type of quick marriage is exactly the type of thing that would have happened in that given situation of the time.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I believe Shane (1952) was the first film to more realistically playback a gun report. Upon the first gunfire in the movie the audience jumped half-way out their seats, myself included.
The same thing happens practically every time I roll out the DVD!

Today's favourite western's (the list will change again with my mood!)

1) The Searchers
2) She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
3) Once Upon a Time in The West

---
So many films, so little time...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks