Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Open Range coming to dvd 01/20/04

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 of 29 OFFLINE   Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

• 1,551 posts

Posted October 22 2003 - 03:44 AM

I can't wait for this one. I thought this was a fabulous film. Easily one of the best I have seen this year. I hope the Academy Awards does not forget about this one.
"I'm your Huckleberry"

#2 of 29 OFFLINE   Edward Schatz

Edward Schatz

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted October 22 2003 - 04:26 AM

I really enjoyed the film as well.
Edward

#3 of 29 OFFLINE   Justin Bauer

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted October 22 2003 - 07:01 AM

Its got 2 discs and DTS. I cannot wait to hear those gun blasts on DTS...my neighbors will hate me. I just hope the whole sound track lives up to the one in the theater.
We're Texas.

#4 of 29 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,279 posts

Posted October 22 2003 - 07:07 AM

Certainly a "must own" DVD.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#5 of 29 OFFLINE   David Illingworth II

David Illingworth II

Second Unit

• 448 posts

Posted October 22 2003 - 10:36 AM

DVDFile has got the goods on it with 2 discs, DTS, commentary, deleted scenes, "extensive" featurettes, etc.
This movie was SO much better than I expected and instantly jumped to second place on my list of favorite westerns, right behind Tombstone.
Have you ever heard of Vietnam, Larry?

#6 of 29 OFFLINE   mckenzig

mckenzig

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted October 22 2003 - 12:38 PM

For modern westerns, let's not forget Silverado - a great tribute to every cowboy cliche ever shown, andone heck of a fun movie.
Cheers,
Grant

#7 of 29 ONLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,463 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted October 22 2003 - 08:52 PM

Open Range hasn't even had a theatrical release in the UK - can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to the DVD release.

---
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#8 of 29 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted October 22 2003 - 10:53 PM

Yeah, it has still to recieve a UK theatrical release. From what I have heard, it is a superb Western.

Gordy

#9 of 29 OFFLINE   T r o y

T r o y

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted October 22 2003 - 11:50 PM

I too can't wait for this one on DVD.
I love a good western movie and this one certainly fits the bill.

I would like to applaud Buena Vista once again for including a DTS track. They could have easily left this off but they didn't.

Thanks Buena!!Posted Image

Outlaw 750 5 CH AMP
Yamaha DSP-A1
Sony BDP-S550
Monster Power
Mitsibishi HC-1500Klipsch KLF20Klipsch KLFC7Klipsch KSP-S6Velodyne F-1800XR

#10 of 29 OFFLINE   Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

• 1,551 posts

Posted October 23 2003 - 04:29 AM

Quote:
I cannot wait to hear those gun blasts on DTS...my neighbors will hate me.

I am with you there. That was one of the best sounding shootouts I have ever heard. And if it sounded that good at the theater, it will sound much better at home.

Quote:
This movie was SO much better than I expected and instantly jumped to second place on my list of favorite westerns, right behind Tombstone.
I agree with that too. Tombstone will never be topped, but Open Range is in my 2nd place spot for best westerns.
"I'm your Huckleberry"

#11 of 29 OFFLINE   MikeEckman

MikeEckman

Screenwriter

• 1,087 posts

Posted October 23 2003 - 04:45 AM

Yes, this was an incredible movie. I remembered how close I was to not seeing this. The day I went to the theater it was between SWAT and Open Range. I just randomly picked to see SWAT since I thought it would be more "fun", then when i got the theater I realized that I still had 20 minutes before SWAT began, so I walked into the Open Range theater right as the opening credits were rolling figuring I'd watch the first 20 minutes and get a feel for it and then go see SWAT. I was instantly hooked and ended up watching the whole thing and never went to see SWAT.

I think Kevin Costner is a great actor and has unfairly criticized about his performances. He certainly does shine in westerns though.

I, too can't wait for this to come on DVD, and am tickled pink it will be in DTS...

My ranking of favorite westerns are:

1. Dances with Wolves
2. Tombstone
3. Unforgiven

I dont think its fair to rank a movie after only one viewing, but Im certain after seeing it a couple more times, it will fall somewhere in my top 3.
Mike Eckman
Chicago Heights, IL
Music Webpage: http://www.metalreviewcentre.com
Car Webpage: http://www.metalrevi...com/transam.htm

#12 of 29 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 23 2003 - 05:11 AM

1. Dances with Wolves
2. Tombstone
3. Unforgiven
I guess they didn't make westerns until 1990????????Posted Image

By the way, if it wasn't for the ending, I thought Open Range would have been better than all three of those films.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#13 of 29 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted October 23 2003 - 10:30 AM

Mick

Your top 3 is good except you forget some really classics like

1) Once Upon A Time in the West
2) The Good, Bad and the Ugly
3) Stagecoach

Like both John & Gordon mentioned, a bummer that we have to wait for Open Range

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#14 of 29 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted October 23 2003 - 10:43 AM

...or High Plains Drifter, one of the best Western's, ever! Posted Image

I have yet to see Open Range, but if it's coming that soon, I think I'll just wait for the DVD. I happy to read all the praise about it.

Peace Out~Posted Image
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#15 of 29 OFFLINE   Gerry A

Gerry A

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted October 23 2003 - 11:22 AM

It's not exactly a theatrical movie, but I just LOVED Lonesome Dove, and in particular Robert Duvall's performance as Gus McCrae. I couldn't wait to see him an a western again because he seems he was born to play in them. So I'm going to buy this DVD sight unseen (it hasn't been shown in theaters here as well) and I can't wait!

#16 of 29 OFFLINE   Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted October 23 2003 - 11:26 AM

Quote:
I am with you there. That was one of the best sounding shootouts I have ever heard. And if it sounded that good at the theater, it will sound much better at home.

I believe Shane (1952) was the first film to more realistically playback a gun report. Upon the first gunfire in the movie the audience jumped half-way out their seats, myself included.

#17 of 29 OFFLINE   David Illingworth II

David Illingworth II

Second Unit

• 448 posts

Posted October 23 2003 - 11:47 AM

Gerry, you won't be disappointed! This is one of Duvall's absolute best performances.
Have you ever heard of Vietnam, Larry?

#18 of 29 OFFLINE   Clay-F

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts

Posted October 23 2003 - 08:28 PM

This one is definately on the list....

That shotgun blast in the bar was the best and most accurate sounding gunshot that I think I've ever heard in a movie theatre.

Hopefully it will hold that ranking when the DVD hits my player. Posted Image

SPOILERS!

I did think the ending was just a little weak. I would have perfered them to just settle down in town for awhile and Charlie start seeing her. The whole marriage bit was a little heavy.

I'm going to have to count the gunshots, but I think they did fall victim to selfloading sixgun in the first part of the gunfight.

I hope we'll get to see some deleted scenes too. Maybe the barfight in the beginning. Posted Image

#19 of 29 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted October 23 2003 - 09:19 PM

Quote:
SPOILERS!

I did think the ending was just a little weak. I would have perfered them to just settle down in town for awhile and Charlie start seeing her. The whole marriage bit was a little heavy.

SPOILERS cont.

The thing is, that's the way it was back then. Especially for two older unmarried individuals (re: over 25). You didn't wait around to see if it would work out. You got married and you started a family ASAP. When problems arose, you worked at them. While perhaps not akin to our 21st century sensibilities, this type of quick marriage is exactly the type of thing that would have happened in that given situation of the time.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#20 of 29 ONLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,463 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted October 23 2003 - 09:47 PM

Quote:
I believe Shane (1952) was the first film to more realistically playback a gun report. Upon the first gunfire in the movie the audience jumped half-way out their seats, myself included.

The same thing happens practically every time I roll out the DVD!

Today's favourite western's (the list will change again with my mood!)

1) The Searchers
2) She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
3) Once Upon a Time in The West

---
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow