Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Average Joe (merged)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
126 replies to this topic

#1 of 127 OFFLINE   Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor

• 962 posts

Posted October 22 2003 - 02:51 AM

Has anyone seen the promos for this Reality/Dating show where they hook up a young woman with some average to below average joes? I think this will be a slow motion prime-time car wreck, any thoughts?
Good lord, there's nothing worse than the foul stench of desperation when someone wants to be famous.

- Luis Esp

#2 of 127 OFFLINE   Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted October 22 2003 - 09:18 AM

I hope that the "reality" show trend will end soon. I have not watched any of these shows and I don't really see what is entertaining about them.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#3 of 127 OFFLINE   MickeS

MickeS

Producer

• 5,065 posts

Posted October 22 2003 - 10:15 AM

I have not watched any of these shows and I don't really see what is entertaining about them.

So you can't see what is entertaining about them... could that be because you haven't watched any of them? Posted Image

I like "reality" shows, but I'm sick of the dating shows.
/Mike

#4 of 127 OFFLINE   KevinRB

KevinRB

Stunt Coordinator

• 201 posts

Posted October 22 2003 - 11:34 AM

I saw the preview for this show, and thought it was a joke at first. Take one stuck up female and throw her in a surpise dating show with a bunch of over-weight and ugly guys.

It could be an entertaining concept...

#5 of 127 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,592 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted October 23 2003 - 09:01 AM

I'm probably at least going to check it out. I love the shot of the woman's quick shift of disdain to polite smile in the promotionals.
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#6 of 127 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,842 posts

Posted November 03 2003 - 03:35 AM

Revenge of the Nerds meets reality TV. Gotta love it!

It premieres tonight at 10 p.m. EST on NBC.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#7 of 127 OFFLINE   Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor

• 962 posts

Posted November 03 2003 - 03:43 AM

I will probably watch this episode to see just how crazy of an idea that it may be
Good lord, there's nothing worse than the foul stench of desperation when someone wants to be famous.

- Luis Esp

#8 of 127 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted November 03 2003 - 03:48 AM

Man, if those are "average joes" I better haul buns to Hollywood! LOL! Looks a little "set up" to me, with the shot of the guy getting hit with the tennis ball; looked a little too fake.
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#9 of 127 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,923 posts

Posted November 03 2003 - 04:16 AM

I just read an article in the newspaper that said the girl walked away from the house when she first saw the guys. But, came back after a little bit. The producers also had a backup girl ready to go if she walked for good.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#10 of 127 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,203 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted November 03 2003 - 02:12 PM

most of these guys are not average joes they are complete dorks.
they may be nice guys and all, but 100% dorks.

what knid of lighting are they using?
most of these guys look like their faces are covered in red make-up.
facebook.com/whotony

#11 of 127 OFFLINE   Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted November 03 2003 - 04:09 PM

It actually turned out to be pretty entertaining. Some of their comments were priceless. Although it is hard to tell if I'm laughing at them or with them. Probably a mix of both. How cruel to bring out the hot guy first to say "here come your 16 guys".

The odd thing about this show is that the 'based on personality and not on looks' is only going one way. Nearly every guy said 'oh she is perfect' or 'I could spend the rest of my life with her' all based on her looks alone.

I have a feeling the twist is going to be that they bring in 8 hot guys into the mix to compete with the rest after they started making some headway or connections.

What was with the Baywatch beach moments every time they went back to the girl?

Tony, I noticed the same thing with the red. It looked like half those guys had sunburns on their faces, that or the worst makeup jobs ever.

Favorite line(s)
"Oh my god, she is soooo my type."
"Do you like broccoli?" "I don't like the green vegitables". WTF

#12 of 127 OFFLINE   Jack Shappa

Jack Shappa

Second Unit

• 411 posts

Posted November 03 2003 - 05:47 PM

Nothing like a mean-spirited reality show! It was hilarious, my wife and I laughed out loud several times. But seeing some of these drooling dorks in HD was almost too painful to watch. I think the red marks on some of the guys was sunburn from that first day they "partied".

I liked when the New York jerk smashed the egg on the 5' 4" dork's head. Must have been a serious high school flashback for that poor dude.

To the girl's credit, she eliminated a couple of the better looking guys, and kept the ugliest, fattest ones.

- Jack

P.S. Why is M. Night Shamalan on this show?

#13 of 127 OFFLINE   Jeremy_Watson

Jeremy_Watson

Stunt Coordinator

• 249 posts

Posted November 03 2003 - 06:41 PM

I have a feeling the twist is going to be that they bring in 8 hot guys into the mix to compete with the rest after they started making some headway or connections.

I'm thinking the good looking guy from the beginning of the episode will be back in a later one.

As for the red faces, I think some of them had a few too many to drink, I have a few friends who get red in the face after a few.

She seems to be a very good sport about this whole thing, hopefully she is being genuine. I was also cracking up at the guys saying they could get into her, of course you could!

#14 of 127 OFFLINE   JamieD

JamieD

Supporting Actor

• 557 posts

Posted November 03 2003 - 11:26 PM

The concept of this show in particular disturbs me. I really don't like the concept, but I guess if she's pleased about doing it, whatever.
My Small (But Prized) DVD Collection!

"Actually, I am in really bad shape financially."

#15 of 127 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Supporting Actor

• 868 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 12:15 AM

I thought this was hilarious. I noticed the bad lighting/makeup/camera work as well. Even she had some redness in the face at times and I noticed some lights/shadows moving from time to time. Looks like they are using a lower budget than the Bachelor, thats for sure.
Revenge is like serving cold cuts-

Tony Soprano

#16 of 127 OFFLINE   Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor

• 579 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 12:26 AM

These guys are priceless. I think they need to take it to the extreme by embarassing the shit out of some of them.

The dude doing everyone's laundry is over the top. What a dork.

A bit of foreshadowing at the end leads me to believe this group of 16 "buddies" will not last forever.Posted Image Posted Image

#17 of 127 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,842 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 12:36 AM

There's too much "coverage" in this show to take it seriously (in terms of camera angles and being able to capture people's reactions to situations). I suspect a lot of it is scripted, just the feel I get.

I did find some good LOL bits in the show, and some predictable stuff (like Zach picking on the short guy and broke an egg on his head).

At least Malena give a valiant effort in her first night meeting the guys. I can't blame her for taking some time after the initial shock of meeting guys out of her league, and re-composing herself for the rest of the evening.

Kathy Griffin needs to go. Ugh. I'm glad I'm recording this show, and not watching it in HD.

I felt bad for the diving board at the pool. Whew...

Malena must be making some money for simply showing up for this show. I did notice that the fine print at the end of the credits admitted that some of the contestants had been paid to appear on the show.

It would be cruel if they brought in some "better looking" contestants to make the average joe's feel bad, and to tempt Malena in the event she makes a connection with the average joe's, but behind door #3, she can have a better looking guy, setting up the choice between looks on the outside, and personality/heart/etc. on the inside.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#18 of 127 OFFLINE   Mike Slade

Mike Slade

Second Unit

• 308 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 01:09 AM

Quote:
But seeing some of these drooling dorks in HD was almost too painful to watch.

I don't believe this show is in HD. At least it's not listed as such and it was not HD on my NBC station last night.

As for the show, I found it entertaining. I'll keep watching.

#19 of 127 OFFLINE   MickeS

MickeS

Producer

• 5,065 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 02:11 AM

This dating show actually caught my interest even after the first few minutes, most likely because I could easily have been in that group of not so greatlooking guys. Posted Image

I loved it when they had the good-looking guy come in the limo first, and then the guys in the bus afterwards. Posted Image Some of the guys seemed pretty nervous, like the guy who could barely say where he was from. Of course, she didn't seem too pleased with the situation right then, her facial expression seemed more like "OK, where are the REAL guys?" She did seem to enjoy herself at the party though.

The egg-head incident was rather painful though... like someone mentioned above, that must have been a serious high school flashback for at least some of the guys. Posted Image

P.S. Why is M. Night Shamalan on this show?

Haha, he did look like him a bit yeah. That guy creeped me out, and what was that moronic discussion about vegetables?

The redness in the faces (Malena had some of that too) was annoying, I hope they fix that later on. It didn't really seem like sunburn to me, but who knows.

If the twist is that they'll bring in some better-looking dudes, that'd be pretty cool actually. Cruel, perhaps, but cool. Posted Image

Malena reminded me a bit of Carmen Electra, by the way.
/Mike

#20 of 127 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,592 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted November 04 2003 - 03:28 AM

I concur on the creepiness of Tareq. The way he was standing back and quietly judging everyone, then making it worse with his cheesy lines and awkward conversation...ugh.

My favorite so far is the 5'4" guy. The bully needs to get booted soon!
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com