What's new

Charlie's Angels: Superbit Deluxe; $10 at Target (1 Viewer)

Greg Black

Second Unit
I searched this forum and didn't see anything listed yet so I thought I'd share that I picked up Charlie's Angels Superbit at Target for $10. I already had the original release but I figured "What the heck, that's a good deal!" :D

If you already have the original release the SB offers only a marginal improvement; it's slightly sharper and maybe has a little less edge enhancement, but I don't know if it's really worth it. Only hardcore fans of the film and/or videophiles need apply.

However, if you don't have it yet, it's a no-brainer!

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
I found the Superbit image MUCH improved over the first release. You need to look no further than the scene where the girls are belly-dancing and are trying to get the fingerprints of that guy.

On the first release you can see major block-noise (over compression) and on the Superbit, while it is still there, it's MUCH less visible.

*Note, this is on a 65" display and may not be noticeable on smaller displays. Also, you may need to go frame by frame in order to see this, because the scene just moves too fast. I however noticed this right away, while watching it at full motion.

I'd say the Superbit has at least 30% better better picture quality than the non-superbit.

Greg Black

Second Unit
I suppose to be fair, I didn't really do a thorough A/B test, but I also found it odd that the Superbit version had mpeg artifacting in it. I hate Sony's encoder; it seems to automatically induce edge halos, even when they intentionally turn it off (see Lawrence Of Arabia SB). This was noticeable on Charlie's Angels as well.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
If you're going to buy CA2, Best Buy has a deal with the Superbit original + CA2 = $25. Figuring that CA2 is normally $17.99 this week, that puts CA Superbit at $7.01.

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Might have to go get this for the wife. I didn't care for it much myself but the wife liked it.

Greg

Glenise

Supporting Actor
I actually wasn't going to by the original when it came out on dvd but I eventually did.
I'm actually glad but I wish I'd waited because I'd rather have the superbit version for the DTS sound!
I'm going to wait to get the sequel though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks