Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

What's left?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#1 of 129 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted October 21 2003 - 02:03 PM

This has been a big year for DVD. We've seen the release of The Lion King and the Indiana Jones movies. As someone who has been with DVD since day one (and with laserdisc for almost ten years before that) I pretty much have a complete movie collection (at least, of the movies that matter to me). Which leads me to ask a simple question: what is left to be released on DVD that has never seen a DVD release? IMO, it pretty much boils down to this: - The Star Wars Trilogy (you know what I mean) - Disney's Aladdin - Schindler's List Titanic (1997) has already been released, so it does not really count (although it could use an anamorphic transfer and a special edition). And I'll certainly be the first in-line if they ever release a restored special edition of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. What am I missing here? Is the DVD catalog almost complete? - Steve

#2 of 129 OFFLINE   DanR

DanR

Supporting Actor

• 676 posts

Posted October 21 2003 - 02:10 PM

Steve,

Yep, that's all i got left on the list too. We'll have them all just in time for the next generation optical disk to hit market. Posted Image

-Dan

#3 of 129 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,839 posts

Posted October 21 2003 - 02:10 PM

Not even close, Steve. Lots of silent films remain unreleased. Nearly all Abbott & Costello and Marx Brothers films are unavailable (the few that were, are OOP). The Universal horrors are out of print. Lots of Hammer films are unavailable. How many James Cagney films are available? Where's EL CID? I'd say there's many, many good films waiting for release or to come back-in-print.

Read the blog (please): www.bigscreenclassics.com

#4 of 129 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted October 21 2003 - 02:19 PM

Indy is nice to have, but Adventures of Robin Hood filled a huge void in my collection. i'll be looking most forward to more classics from WB in '04 starting with the releases in the first week of January (, and My Darling Clementine- a movie i'd always wanted on LD but never bought) and the Accidental Tourist(YEAH!) later in the month. for me, the Holy Grails now are neglected B- movies (like Let's Scare Jessica To Deathm, Revenge Of The Creature), beautiful schlock (like StarCrash and Goldengirl) more classics ( DeMilles Cleopatra, This Gun For Hire, Leave Her To Heaven, Letter To Three Wives and on and on), and tv series ( when-oh-when will Kolchak:the night stalker get a box set?). still a lot i would go positively ape$#it over if they ever get released, but i have dozens and dozens of sweet releases from this year i have to catch up on anyway.

#5 of 129 OFFLINE   Bill Burns

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor

• 747 posts

Posted October 21 2003 - 02:22 PM

Oh my goodness. What's left? Thousands (yep, thousands) of outstanding feature films from the 1920's (and specifically in Italy, the 1910's) to the present day, U.S., Germany, U.K., Italy, Russia, and many other countries. Peter scratchers the surface, but many doesn't even convey it. What we have, right now, is a drop in the bucket. If you consider that most of the Hollywood studios were outputting in the range of 50 films every single year from the 30's onward (I don't know the current yearly estimates), you can easily get into the thousands when considering U.S. films alone, and sound films alone. Internationally, and stretching back into the silents ... the number is staggering. The number of good films, even discounting the programmers and so-so productions, is staggering.
“That line was screwy.”

- Outtake
Warner Bros.' Breakdowns of 1938

#6 of 129 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted October 21 2003 - 02:29 PM

Maybe I should say..."Is my DVD catalog complete." Of course there are thousands of films that have yet to be released on DVD. I'll bet a lot of them never saw the light of day on VHS or laserdisc, either. I have some of those OOP Marx Brothers movies, but would indeed like to see some of Abbott and Costello. Was Naughty Nineties ever released on DVD? - Steve

#7 of 129 OFFLINE   Todd Phillips

Todd Phillips

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted October 21 2003 - 02:33 PM

Here's some I want:

Meet Me in St Louis
Easter Parade
Jane Eyre
Laura
Ride The High Country
Hamlet (1996)
Top Hat
Swing Time
Shall We Dance
Song of the South
Colossus: The Forbin Project
The Gods Must be Crazy
Around The World In Eighty Days
Battleground (1949)
Crack in the World
The Sea Hawk
Captain Blood

And here's a long thread discussing this very subject:http://www.hometheat....=&pagenumber=1
"Safe? Who knows what's safe? I know a man who dropped dead from lookin' at his wife. My own grandmother fought the indians for sixty years, then choked to death on lemon pie."

#8 of 129 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,839 posts

Posted October 21 2003 - 02:34 PM

No, Naughty Nineties, Hold That Ghost, Hit the Ice, and about 30 other A & C films never hit DVD.

Read the blog (please): www.bigscreenclassics.com

#9 of 129 OFFLINE   Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter

• 1,309 posts

Posted October 21 2003 - 02:35 PM

The 1933 King Kong is still MIA. Neil

#10 of 129 OFFLINE   Bill Burns

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor

• 747 posts

Posted October 21 2003 - 02:40 PM

Current word (unofficial) has definitive editions of both Gone With the Wind (for its 65th Anniversary) and King Kong (either a three or four disc set, if I recall correctly) arriving in 2004. The strongest rumors were about Kong, which was apparently in the works earlier this year when the The Digital Bits first reported on it, but delays pushed it to '04.

I've read about GWTW's possibilities in a few places (the potential extras are quite extensive, and indeed the early M-G-M movie-only release was originally rumored to include some of these, but didn't), but the Kong material is something I've only found reported on the 'Bits, if memory serves. As an RKO film, though, it's implicitly included in word on the RKO's from WB.

UPDATE: Here's an early report on Kong, which if I read between the lines makes it sound as if it's actually been in the planning since 2002, in fact:

http://www.thedigita.../rumormill.html

Scroll down to the 1/29/03 update.

The first 'Bits mention I've found is from the 1/7/03 Rumor Mill update here:

http://www.thedigita...rmillarc18.html

Neither mention a disc count, but I seem to recall some word of a three disc release. Possibly four. It's been too long since I read it -- I'm unsure. Personally, I'm hoping they include The Son of Kong (1933) in the set, and, if she's up to it, a Fay Wray running interview/commentary on the original. Posted Image That would truly make the set worth its weight in gold, and then some.

“That line was screwy.”

- Outtake
Warner Bros.' Breakdowns of 1938

#11 of 129 OFFLINE   MartinTeller

MartinTeller

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted October 21 2003 - 02:42 PM

My must-have unreleased list: every unreleased Akira Kurosawa most of the unreleased Ingmar Bergman most of the unreleased Alfred Hitchcock (Dial M for Murder, Lifeboat, etc) How to Steal a Million El Norte Star Wars trilogy anything and everything by Stan Brakhage Marx Bros movies Freaks Cyclo The Dark Backwards The Decline of Western Civilization Drowning by Numbers The Incredible Shrinking Man Modern Romance Rock 'n' Rule What Happened Was When the Wind Blows Monster in a Box Swimming to Cambodia That's not including television stuff and movies that need a better release.

#12 of 129 OFFLINE   rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 2,014 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted October 21 2003 - 03:14 PM

I liked a Garfield cartoon which showed Garfield first catching a mouse and then letting it go ... he looked at the viewer and said "it's not the having, it's the getting."

I did a poll on that a few years back at another forum. Surprising to me it was very close to a 50/50 split of people responding that when it it's all said and done what gives them the most pleasure in collecting movies for their libraries - the having or the getting.

True, many big hitters have been delivered on DVD - so the list of popular post 80's films unreleased on DVD is getting shorter. So for many forums the interest in DVD discussion as to what is coming out may lose some intensity and interest.

However, at this forum, my guess is that with films being remastered and released on DVD and many members that are interested in films no matter what era or country of origin - my guess is that we needn't be concerned about putting on the Peggy Lee song "is that all there is" for a while. Posted Image

#13 of 129 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted October 21 2003 - 03:24 PM

There are lots of 80s indies (largely held by Columbia and Universal) that aren't available.
My Collection

#14 of 129 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted October 21 2003 - 03:27 PM

Keeping the list TV-on-DVD free (which my list can go into the thousands by itself), here are some must-have films not on R1 DVD yet (though some are planned): Star Wars Trilogy Colossus: The Forbin Project King Kong Flight of the Navigator Aladdin Bambi Cinderella An American Tail Dial M For Murder If You Could See What I Hear The Uninvited Twilight Zone: The Movie Doctor Detroit Heaven Help Us Sugerland Express Fandango Schindler's List High Road To China The Black Shield of Falsworth Up The Creek Little Darlings T.A.G.: The Assisination Game Lassiter Cloak & Dagger Teachers Neighbors Becket Grandview U.S.A. 2 of a Kind Night of the Comet The Seduction Land of the Pharoahs To Be or Not To Be Robin Hood: Men In Tights Mischief Hanger 18 Turk 182 Porky's Revenge Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes The Last Unicorn The Last Married Couple In America Zapped! ...and that's just from my list of movies taped to VHS off of cable, back when I lived with my folks 15 years ago!
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#15 of 129 OFFLINE   Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted October 21 2003 - 03:41 PM

Too short David! Here are some of mine.. These were originally announced to be releaed this year Bringing Up Baby How to Steal A Million Little Darlings Mutiny on the Bounty (1935) The Day After Robin Hood: Men in Tights Some Others I want... Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis - both together and apart By Dawn's Early Light Call Me Bwana The Chase Coldblooded Demolition Day Every Time We Saw Goodbye Harry & the Hendersons Hawaii It Happened to Jane Jumping Jack Flash King Solomon's Mines (1950) License to Drive Love at First Bite Loverboy Man From the Diner's Club Man With One Red Shoe Mischief Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation Near Mrs. No Time for Sergeants Quick Change Sam Whiskey Shrimp on the Barbie Switching Channels World of Suzie Wong And yes, I've skipped some. It would be so nice to have a short list. Can we trade? Glenn

#16 of 129 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted October 21 2003 - 03:51 PM

Some good ones have been mentioned so far. Off the top of my head (I realize some of these are coming, but not nearly enough): Mosby's Marauders White Heat Third Man on the Mountain Night Train to Munich Ice Station Zebra Battle of the Bulge Captain Blood The Sea Hawk Passage to Marseille Action in the North Atlantic Above Suspicion The Prisoner of Zenda The Two Towers X-Men 2 That Darn Cat! (1965) Darby O'Gill & the Little People The Shaggy Dog The Ugly Dachshund Son of Flubber Muppet's Christmas Carol (OAR) Finding Nemo Little Bear Pirates of the Caribbean Freaky Friday Bringing Up Baby Ninotchka Prisoner of 2nd Avenue Christmas in Connecticut Kindergarten Cop (OAR) The Jerk (OAR) Police Academy (OAR) To Be or Not to Be Foul Play A Guide for the Married Man The Farmer's Daughter A Stranger in Town Naughty Nineties Up in Arms Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines Mr. Blandings Builds his Dream House Silver Streak High Anxiety Holiday It's a Gift Hail the Conquering Hero Take Her, She's Mine The Palm Beach Stroy The Great McGinty We're No Angels Christmas in July Safety Last Ball of Fire The Out-of-Towners Cheaper by the Dozen Belles on their Toes I Was a Male War Bride It's a Great Feeling Once Upon a Honeymoon Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1939) The Commitments (OAR) Bad Day at Black Rock Boys Town Across the Pacific High Sierra Goodfellas (OAR) Judgment at Nuremburg Confessions of a Nazi Spy 36 Hours The Sea Wolf Random Harvest The Karate Kid (OAR) Easter Parade Meet Me in St. Louis A Song is Born Get Back Imagine: John Lennon Let It Be Top Hat Laura Dark Passage Gaslight Out of the Past Dial M for Murder Foreign Correspondent Stage Fright Crossfire This Gun for Hire They Won't Believe Me The Blue Dahlia The List of Adrian Messenger The Ex-Mrs. Bradford Berlin Express Futureworld Cocoon Final Countdown (done right) My Darling Clementine To Have & Have Not Another Thin Man Suspicion After the Thin Man The Postman Always Rings Twice Star Wars The Empire Strikes BAck Aladdin Return of the Jedi Schindler's List and tons more. In other words, lots and lots of great stuff is left.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#17 of 129 OFFLINE   ScottDombrowski

ScottDombrowski

Stunt Coordinator

• 218 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 21 2003 - 03:53 PM

I'm still impatiently waiting for so many favorites to be released! Just off the top of my head (and I won't count TV shows either because that's another long list): Holiday Lover Come Back The More The Merrier The Palm Beach Story Out Of The Past The Blue Dahlia The Tarnished Angels Magnificent Obsession The Gunfighter Sergeant Rutledge Clash By Night The Lusty Men Here Comes Mr. Jordan It's Always Fair Weather Stars In My Crown

#18 of 129 OFFLINE   DonRoeber

DonRoeber

Screenwriter

• 1,851 posts

Posted October 21 2003 - 03:58 PM

I wouldn't mind the rest of the Miyazaki films.
Luckily, right at that moment, an unconscious Argentinean fell through my roof.

He was quickly joined by a dwarf dressed as a nun.

#19 of 129 OFFLINE   todd stone

todd stone

Screenwriter

• 1,768 posts

Posted October 21 2003 - 04:12 PM

don't forget ED WOOD
Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers, Lo, there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning, Lo, they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, In the halls of Valhalla,where the brave may live...

#20 of 129 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted October 21 2003 - 04:12 PM

I agree that a lot of great movies have been released. Basically all of the most popular movies have been released (which makes sense), but of the top 100 grossing films ever (in the US) the only 3 that aren't available on DVD (or soon to be released) are...you guessed it, Star Wars (4, 5, & 6)

Posted Image

http://www.the-movie....?domestic ByDG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users