What's new

Need your thoughts on EVent HOrizon ?? (1 Viewer)

T r o y

Supporting Actor
I'm one of the few who hasn't seen Event Horizon except for just a few small scenes here and there. I finally want to rent this one and watch it.
I've heard it's a pretty good horror flick in a sci-fi kind of way.
I know the DVD isn't 16x9 enhanced, so how is the video and audio on this one?

Looking forward to your responses,

Troy

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
It has been awhile since I have watched this but here are my thoughts all from memory of course and not of recent viewings.

Video is good for a 4:3 widescreen DVD. Blacks are deep and image is sharp. Last time I watched this though was not on a 16x9 TV.

Audio is decent from what I remember. I don't think there is alot of surrounds but the LFE is pretty good.

As a horror movie it differs on what you find scary between psychological or gore. This movie offers a bit of both. It is a well done SciFi movie and is worth a rental in my opinion.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I loved this movie, best thing that hack Paul Anderson has done....
Video/Audio is good, been awhile since I watched it.
Movie struck me as a cross between Hellraiser and Aliens.

Howard Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
I watched Event Horizon recently, and enjoy this film for what it is. As you've already stated, the disc in not anamorphic, and if you've have a decent size screen, the poorer video quality of this transfer will definitely show (it's noticably grainy throughout). The audio inculdes a Dolby 5.1 track, and it's not bad at all, certainly providing some good response from the low end.

As far as the story itself goes, it's neither terrible, nor great (imho). The film includes and excellent cast, and I think their performances rise above a rather mediocre script. There are few scary moments in the film, and if you're looking for a fun sci-fi film that you haven't seen before I would recommend this one.

There's been talk for a while of a new transfer coming out, but no official word yet. In the meantime, the current disc has been out for quite some time, and is easily available for under $10.00.

Howie

Haden

Supporting Actor
It's been long-rumored (since about 1998) that Paul Anderson planned to eventually do a special edition director's cut, adding back the 25-30 minutes of additional scenes that the studio originally forced him to remove from the theatrical release. A lot of these scenes are in the script and novelization, and some clips of them are in the film trailer. I've been eager to see the longer original cut of this film for years, but who knows if it will ever be released.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
I really like "Event Horizon." My local CC has it for $9.99. Not the best DVD ever - but worth it for that price. I saw it in the theaters in high school and it was pretty freaky to me. I would definitely recommend giving it a shot.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
The name "Paul WS Anderson" should be enough to scare you away from this movie. I don't mean to thread-crap but you asked for my thoughts and here they are: this movie, along with the rest of this director's completely worthless body of work, is mind-numbingly terrible.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I found the movie to be an entertaining piece of summer sci-fi/horror - granted, it is a dumbed down, Hollywood version of Solaris meets Alien or something like that, but it was fun.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
NOT RECOMMENDED : watching this alone in the dark.

because .... this is one SCARY transfer !!!!

got it's good points, but not many of 'em.

talking of scary things, surprised i didn't find the THX logo anywhere. this one surely would have met THXs painfully below average standards ...

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Thanks for everyone's input on this one.
I've been wanting to give this one a spin for awhile now
and since Halloween is right around the corner, I'll be pickin this one up as a rental.

Looking forward to it :emoji_thumbsup:

Later!
Troy

Brian Ralph

Stunt Coordinator
One more opinion, it's a lousy movie with not much conclusion at the end. I don't recommend it, obviously.
Agreed. I picked it up from Columbia House after seeing some recommendations from here and DVDTalk and was sorely disappointed. Found it neither scary nor all that interesting...

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
The name "Paul WS Anderson" should be enough to scare you away from this movie. I don't mean to thread-crap but you asked for my thoughts and here they are: this movie, along with the rest of this director's completely worthless body of work, is mind-numbingly terrible.
I've seen stuff like this before, mostly in the Alien quad thread and have wondered where this comes from? Granted, his films aren't changing cinema or anything, but they are generally ok (not bad, not great). Of course, everyone has a hated director (mines Michael Bay), I'm just wondering if he's know for anything behavior wise outside of the final product that goes on screen (does he compromise his films or waiver to the studios, or some other general thing that's frowned upon, or is it of the opinion that he just sucks?), as the venom directed towards him is surprising. (espicially when it should be directed to Michael Bay.)

I haven't seen the Event Horizon DVD, but the film itself is quite good, and a favorite of mine as far as psycological/supernatural Sci-fi go.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I don't have any hated director, even Bay, some I prefer over others. When it comes to Anderson, I have enjoyed all of his movies, except Soldier. But, they are pure popcorn fluff, summer filler type movies, he doesn't seem to be growing as a director. As for his involvement with AvP, I read somewhere that a contributing factor to him getting the gig was promising a PG-13 movie, AvP needs to be R. Plus considering that there had been a possible collaboration between Ridley Scott and James Cameron, this is very disappointing. It greatly tempered my enthusiasm for the project, although I'll still end up seeing it.

Bottom line Anderson's movies exist in the same plane, where great directors or future greats you can track their improvements, Anderson seems content to rest on his laurels.
I have nothing against him personally and know nothing of his offset activities. ( I actually own all of his movies)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
In my eyes, Paul WS Anderson is guilty of nothing more than consisitantly making movies that fail on every possible level, be it from any sort of technical standpoint or pure entertainment value. As I said before, he's completely worthless. "Resident Evil", which would have satisfied me if it were just a dumb-but-fun popcorn movie, was a boring, totally unscary piece of garbage, and the same goes for the rest of his body of work.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
When a movie as bad as EVENT HORIZON costs what it would take to feed a third world country for a year, I am not only bemused but angry. Directors should have to prove their skills at moviemaking by producing low-budget films for years before being entrusted with the fate of a studio (see Michael Cimino). There should be a Lon-n-n-g apprenticeship period, as there is when you work your way to the top of a corporation starting from the mail room (probably no longer a viable analogy, but it used to be). Nowadays, make a few music videos for MTV or some noteworthy commercials and you're pretty much handed a hundred million for some misguided feature film. Damn, these no-talent prima donnas with their inappropriate inflated egos (see Michael Bay) pretty much run Hollywood anymore, with massive (but completely vacuous) films like ARMAGEDDON and LOST IN SPACE and this one. Whew. Sorry. I know many people like these films and their directors, but you asked, and that is my opinion.

Greg_C_T

Second Unit
Event Horizon scared the crap out of me when I saw it in the theater.. Lots of people complain about the story, and I would like to see a special edition with the extra footage added back in.

As for the venom toward Anderson, I just don't get it. I like his movies for what they are...

Kami

Screenwriter
The transfer is decent for a non-anamorphic. Far from the best, but it could be worse. I am waiting for a 16:9 version before I purchase though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks