-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Using a powered PA speaker as a sub?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 ChrisConklin

ChrisConklin

Stunt Coordinator

• 50 posts

Posted October 21 2003 - 08:38 AM

I'm not sure if this has ever been brought up, but would using a full range PA speaker w/ a 15 inch woofer work as a good sub? Would 2 speakers make good mains for home theater? Any difference between getting a powere speaker or speakers that come w/ an external amp?

#2 of 3 Tim Streagle

Tim Streagle

Stunt Coordinator

• 65 posts

Posted October 22 2003 - 12:38 AM

No. PA speakers are designed for maximum output, not for accuracy. They will not have the low freq. extension that you probably desire.
Ranger Tim

#3 of 3 Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted October 22 2003 - 04:07 AM

If you’re talking about a PA speaker with a single 15” and a horn, think about what you have there. Typically the horn covers down to 1000Hz or so, and the 15” picks it up from there. So the 15” is just a big speaker doing duty all the way up to the lower midrange. I’ve RTA’d a few of these over the years and - surprisingly - they typically fall like a brick below 100Hz or so. Like Tim noted, they’re designed to play loud, not low.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews