What's new

The "TV on DVD conference".... (2 Viewers)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
With this conference tomorrow (10/22). I am just wondering what people think of this conference and what might come out of it? I was speaking to Gord (who is going to be a panel speaker) about it. And I said it is amazing that two years ago their was almost no tv on dvd. Now, the studios are having a conference on it. Just shows the exploding growth of this segment of the dvd market.
I am hoping that we hear about the Batman:Animated box sets from Warner.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Wish list if anyone is going:

Kolchak: The Night Stalker
Charlie's Angels: Seasons 2 and 3
Get A Life: All Seasons

Is it just the studios or were some people from the general public invited? Wondering if anyone from the HTF is going.

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor
What I hopes comes out of it is Studios start making more polls of what people want, putting out popular and current tv shows on dvd and just making sure to do an overall good job of those dvds.

PienSavaca

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that more polls are the way to go. Either via web, or on a post-paid card inserted into a current release. They should all ask more questions, though-- like what was done with the WB animation sets. (one, two or four discs)

In the case of music replacement issues, studios should explore the option of offering the original versions in a different configuration.... but at a higher total price. (time-life? columbia house tv greats?)

Louis C

Supporting Actor
Kung Fu original series
Kung Fu original series
Kung Fu original series
Kung Fu original series
Kung Fu original series

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
A brief couple of notes about this for a minute:

1) Gord tasked me last night before leaving with coming up with a list of questions to ask if opportunities arose. I gave him a VERY extensive list (moreso than he intended), and the questions Tommy asks were touched on, some less explicitely than others. Yes, Todd, I put B:TAS on the list to ask about, to (explicitly, in that case).

2) I don't think there were invites to the general public as such. Registration costs at least $245 each, and the mission of the conference was described this way:
The last part is well put, if you ask me. I think one of the goals is to hook up rights-holders and distributers where possible, but also to provide discussion for strategies and tactics. This is really geared to the people behind the scenes. Gord's role, in my mind, will be to act as a liason to the public interest in these releases. To speak for the consumer, as it were. Of course, that's just my interpretation...take it with more than a grain of salt (heck, take the entire salt lick!).

3) Jim, all that you ask about will definately be among the topics in the conference. However, I don't think there are going to be as much focus on getting new shows out as there is on unearthing the old "treasures" and getting them to the shelves. I really think studios don't need too much encouragement to get new shows onto DVD. For recent series, the biggest "restriction" is whether direct-from-broadcast-to-DVD is the most profitable way to go. If it makes a bigger profit to syndicate it first, then the DVD market can and will wait (as an example, Scrubs will most likely fall into this category, methinks).

Sadly, I don't think "quality" is an official topic at the conference. Not surprising, though, since DVD quality is a topic that affects all DVD releases: TV-DVD, Films, KidVid, Special Interest, Sports, whatever. Nonetheless, I'm sure it will get kicked around.

Louis: Next year! Go look up the Kung Fu listing at our site in the "Voting" area, and scroll down to the news for that show.

Pien: Music WILL be discussed, I'm sure...Gord was just quoted in a Reuters article the other day on the subject.

Todd, the fact that this conference is happening at all is terrific. I think we agree here at HTF that there is enough subject matter that the conference could be more than a 1-Day event. Maybe next year, as this phenomenon gets bigger then even Gord and I dreamed two years ago when we were testing TVShowsOnDVD and getting it ready for use. I'm amazed that we have news pretty much every single day now, and that so many of my favorite shows are on DVD.

When Gord first recruited me, HTF members around since then will recall my signature with Galactica, Hulk, and Al Bundy in it, all calling for TV-DVD releases. Well, let's just say that its a great October! :D

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'm itching to see season sets of Justice League in 16x9. To my knowledge they don't even show them as such on Cartoon Network anymore.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
For me, the big questions are,

When will we see the following:

LARRY SANDERS SEASON 2-
LAW & ORDER SEASON 2-
MARY TYLER MOORE SEASON 2-
TWIN PEAKS SEASON 2

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Rob's point. I would hope that one of the points of the conference would be to express to studios that once they commit to a series, they have some sort of "moral" obligation to those who bought Season 1 to produce the entire run of the show. Look, I'm not naive, I know money rules all decisions, but in the case of TV on DVD, I'm still convinced that a "Consumer pre-orders first, then the discs are produced" model could work, similar to what occurred with MY SO CALLED LIFE.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I'm amazed as others have said about just how far TV on DVD has come since I got my first player in January 2001. I think that bringing rights holders together with distributers is a good idea to get some of those older TV shows out, some that maybe we're not thinking we'd buy now, but if we saw a DVD release announcement we might say: "Hey I remember that show, I might buy it."

as for shows I hope are discussed:

one word

ALF

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It's too late now, since Gord already left, but I do hope we'll find out when Smallville: S2 is coming out. I know it's not quite the Larry Sanders situation, since there's little doubt S2 will come out, but I'm thristing for news. :)

Shane_Anthony

Stunt Coordinator
WTF happened to Once And Again and MTM second seasons sets??

Anybody at the conference please get some answers from the big cheeses

Cheers!

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor
Thanks Dave.

I believe that every tv show should be available. It would just be great. For example i'm not a big fan of Sc-Fi like Star Trek but i think it should be on DVD and i'd be upset if it wasn't.

I also wish i was at the condrence. I would have asked about
Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
Grounded for Life
That 70s Show
Alf
Are You Afraid of the Dark?
Brimstone
Millennium
Sightings
Mad TV
Pirate Islands
Phenom
Profit
Home Improvement
Roseanne
Hamgin With Mr. Cooper
Dave's World
Grace Under Fire
3rd Rock From The Sun.
The Hitchhiker

I also would have asked about cartoons such as Bucky O'Hare, Mighty Max, Chip N Dale: Rescue Rangers, Mad Jack the Pirate.

And asked about updates on Eerie Indiana Series Set, Larry Sanders Season 2, Malcom in the Middle Season 2 etc.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
WTF happened to Once And Again and MTM second seasons sets??
Sales of MTM were apparently very disappointing for Fox, and it's generally believed that further seasons are not coming. I don't think Mr. Staddon closed the door completely, but it was clear that the chances for future seasons were somewhere between slim and none. This was pretty thoroughly discussed here, so others will definitely have more information about the situation.

Rob T

Screenwriter
I'm amazed as others have said about just how far TV on DVD has come since I got my first player in January 2001. I think that bringing rights holders together with distributers is a good idea to get some of those older TV shows out, some that maybe we're not thinking we'd buy now, but if we saw a DVD release announcement we might say: "Hey I remember that show, I might buy it."
So do I.
I'm hoping some people from Saban Entertainment will be there and take notes from Warner so they can see how well season sets of X-men, Spider-man, The Hulk, The Tick and Silver Surfer would do! :)

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
It's great that they're having a conference on this. Sounds like they're really ready to open the vaults on this and we'll see some of the stuff we've been asking for. I have just a couple of questions....

When will I be holding DVD sets of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Partridge Family and Black Sheep Squadron in my hands?
:D

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
There are some good titles mentioned in this thread, just thought I'd chime in with my merry three...

The Wonder Years
Family Ties
Boy Meets World.

Ha, it's gonna turn into one of these threads.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
When will I be holding DVD sets of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Partridge Family and Black Sheep Squadron in my hands?
*crystal ball in place*

On Tuesday, April 19, 2033 (AD). At 12:01 AM local time. :D

You have to wait for your requests...because MY Wish List items (containing The Andy Griffith Show, The Fugitive (1963-1967), Jonny Quest (1964), The Mary Tyler Moore Show Seasons 2 thru 7, Leave It To Beaver, and The Jack Benny Program) are far, far more important and Digitally-worthy. :D :) :D (;))

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks