What's new

Best Buy Indy 5th disc warning! (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I know there are other Indy threads, but I thought I'd do a PSA and make this its own thread so people who are heading to Best Buy because of the "exclusive 5th disc" are aware:

The fifth disc is packaged in SELECTED box sets. There is a semi-obscure sticker on the front (which is easy to overlook) and the box bulges a little bit as the disc is in the back underneath the rear-package sheet of info.

The reason I say this is that these selected sets are mixed in with the FOUR DISC versions. I picked up a 5 discer, saw that the corner of the box was damaged, picked up the one next to it, and was standing in line to pay and just barely noticed in time that there was no fifth disc.

I went back and found one that had it, and noticed that interspersed in the hundreds of Indy box sets are four and five discs versions. No rhyme or reason or advertisement other than the sticker on the front of the box.

So all people interested in the 5th disc beware - make sure you're buying a 5 disc set as it may not be totally obvious at first glance.

Ouch! I think I picked the set w/o the bonus disc. The back doesn't feel or look like it has a bonus disc. I wonder If I can return it to BB. I was about to open it untill I read this thread.

:frowning:

Brian E

Screenwriter
I went to one BB & was told all they had was what was out. That was 3 WS copies (no bonus discs) & 15 FS copies (all w/bonus disc). I asked how they had sold through them all so fast since they had only opened 2 hours ago & were supposed to have a minimum of 250 per store. The guy working said he thought they had probably sold that many already. Seemed fishy to me, but I was on my lunch hour & didn't have time to make someone go look in back.

Went to the next closest BB which is always 10 times as busy as the other one & they had tons of them. I did notice they were mixed together, but they actually had an employee standing there telling people to make sure they got the one with the bonus disc. Kinda cool.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hector, if it is unopened and you have your receipt, you can return it to Best Buy and get another one.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
my bb had a TON of them. the whole center aisle was taken up by the display - and the employees were putting out more.

they all appeared to have the bonus disc - they definitely had the bulge.

they did have the ws and fs intermingled though....

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Probably all the employees took them. It's a common practice for the staff of all these places to clean-up on all the special promos that are meant to generate customer traffic.

Brian E

Screenwriter
Probably all the employees took them. It's a common practice for the staff of all these places to clean-up on all the special promos that are meant to generate customer traffic.
Yeah except this is literally the smallest BB in existence. It's one of the originals, store #5. They don't have that many employees. While store #281, where I got it, is huge & has many more people working there. The dvd area is three times what it is at the other store.

I think it's more a case of the normal video guy, who shockingly for BB knows his stuff, being gone & the guy working for him being to lazy to check the back for me. If I'd had time to get into it I'd bet they had a bunch in back. This store is so small they never put out all the copies of new releases they get in out on the shelf.

Anyway no biggie, it's done & over with. I did find it nice that the bigger store was going out of their way to make sure folks got the bonus disc.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I had to dig through the rather large display at the Best Buy near where I work (San Bernardino, CA) to find a widescreen set with the bonus disc. I saw quite a number without it but I finally ran across one at the bottom of the stack near the back. All the easily accessible copies were lacking the bonus disc.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad to hear there were some WS boxes with the bonus disc. I stopped at a Tampa store about 6 tonight, & had to do the patdown routine on their entire display. NONE of the WS boxes had the 5th disc, but about 80% of the P&S (let's not dignify it by calling it FS :angry:) ones did. That made me think maybe only the P&S boxes had the bonus.

Before I did the patdown I took a WS box to the cashier, because last time there was a Best Buy-only disc, it was given out by the cashier when you bought the item. I told the cashier that the people who intentionally buy the P&S version are the ones that don't care about bonus discs.

They triple pissed me off this time- it should have been the first 250 buyers per store, not done this way. There was no sign about the bonus disc; I'm sure a lot of people had no idea about it. PO reason #2 was not listing the price in their ad, & #3 was that the 5th disc wasn't just made part of the standard set. Why should it be limited to just a handful of BB customers?

As a marketing ploy, it failed with me, because not only did I not buy that box, I didn't buy any of the other stuff in the store I was considering. I'll get it elsewhere so as not to reward BB for this stunt.

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
Anyone from Best Buy or Circuit City can tell us if the bulging 5 disc box sets happen to have a different UPC from their 4 disc counter-parts?

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Dustin, I can see the bulge of the disc- look right below the word Collection.

What does Circuit City have to do with this?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Has anybody viewed the bonus disc yet? Is the contents worth the hunt for it ?
It's the best documentary I've ever seen, bar none.

:)

Actually, it's a 10-minute promotional film from 1981 featuring behind-the-scenes footage. It's 4x3 and appears to have mono sound. Having not seen the actual supplemental disc yet, I can't tell if any of this information is already available. But it does have some interesting snippets:

- Indy using the whip in the midst of the simitar-wielding man-in-black.
- Reacting to the snakes in the Well of the Souls (Karen Allen bemoans that Ford has a leather jacket and gloves, while she is bare-skinned in a dress)
- Showing Ford being filmed as he is dragged along behind a car

Plenty of other little scenes--a typical 10-minute promotional film.

- Steve

Paul D G

Screenwriter
The only place the Indy discs were to be found at my Best Buy was at the "new release" table where Blue Shirts try to flog off free subscriptions to several magazines. I looked all over the DVD section and couldn't find any of them actually in the racks.

That said, everyone around me was asking for Widescreen, which they pulled out of a box. All had the bonus disc attached.

-paul

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
At my local BB, the sets with the bonus disc were mixed in with those lacking it. When I tried to PM the Eckerd ad, the people at the counter refused to believe that not every set there had the extra disc!

The best sight was when I first walked in, the big standalone Indy display in front was about half empty -- and EVERY set remaining was MAR! (Of course, there were plenty of OAR sets on the new release shelf.)

Adam

Stunt Coordinator
IMHO, I believe the only reason that BB has these exclusive discs is to have an excuse not to price match competitors.

Matt_H

Stunt Coordinator
how is everbody storing this disc? i ended up putting the adhesive paper flap back on to keep it with the others.oh and this is my first post.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
A second general warning, this time about Widescreen sets in general!

3 Best Buys in West Los Angeles:
Westwood
West Los Angeles
Culver City

have all sold out of the widescreen sets of Indy. I was at the Westwood store yesterday at 10am and they had hundreds of OAR and P&S for sale. Today, no OAR, and tons of P&S.

My friend who lives near the West LA store said the same thing. We asked the employee to check the Culver City store, same deal.

So this, while potentially alarming for those who want to get their hands on an OAR set, is at least on the surface GOOD NEWS as it seems the general public is preferring the OAR version and leaving tons of P&S unbought.

I asked the salesfloor guy about how often someone who asked for an OAR set settled for a P&S set and he said basically never in his experience. They've just asked what day they expect to get more OAR in and then walk out the store, presumably to come back later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks