Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Hk Avr 5550

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   kanian

kanian

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted October 20 2003 - 07:49 PM

Hi everybody, I'm thinking about a purchase of HK AVR 5550 (European version for HK AVR 525) but I've heard some complaints about its fan being noisy. How much true and annoying is it? I am going to connect it with my B&W 603 speakers at front and 601 at rear. In the past I had Sony receiver STRD 435 and the system wasn't really playing well. Do you think that Harman will well tune with B&W speakers? Thanks for any info. Adam

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Kiet

Kiet

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted October 21 2003 - 02:53 PM

Hi, I just purchased the H/K 5550 (Australian version) replacing my old Yamaha 3090. I cannot be happier, it is totally fantastic. I use it for movie and music and they both sounds good. I LOVE IT, the sound was not too bright, you can sit there and listen to it for a whole day and dont get tired, unlike my yamaha. I did not notice any fan noise or problems, but it does get quite warm (which is not a bad thing, since it means it has high power output). I switch it on and let it run for nearly a whole day just listening to music at a high volume (-15 to -20 dB) and I still cannot hear the fan going on. Dont let the 70Watts power fool you, it can get very loud without distortion. Anyway, let me tell you why I bought this receiver. It was all because of the B&W speakers. I auditioned the HK 5550 in the shop with the same setup as you. using a whole set of the 600 series 3 B&W speakers and it sounded great. In the same shop I also listened to the Yamaha 2300 and the NAD T762, both were meant to be in the class of the HK 5550. But I think the HK was much better, with a much clean and crisp sound, the bass was more accurate and precise. The NAD seems really dull and lifeless with the B&W speaker, and the Yamaha seems too boomy and bright. So I ended up buying the HK receiver, despite it is made in China, and costing much more than what people are paying in America (lucky people). I hope that you find this helpful.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   kanian

kanian

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted October 22 2003 - 07:29 PM

Thanks for your valuable comments. I've already ordered my HK 5550 and now waiting for delivery. When I finally have it I'll share with you my impressions about it and my B&W speakers as well. Again many thanks. Adam

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Kiet

Kiet

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted October 22 2003 - 08:21 PM

How much did you pay for the H/K 5550??

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   kanian

kanian

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted October 22 2003 - 09:19 PM

I haven't paid yet but what was agreed is ca. 1400 US bucks for HK AVR 5550 and DVD HK 30. I can let you know when I pay. But there are huge differences between US, Europe and Austarlia (customs, currency exchange rates etc.). regards, Adam Posted Image

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Nick.H

Nick.H

Stunt Coordinator

• 118 posts

Posted October 22 2003 - 11:41 PM

I purchased mine for $2000.00 in perth, I love the AVR5550, it is very quite cannot here it is on, so I don't know about this fan noisy thing. GO FOR IT!
::::::::::::::::::::::.
My Setup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users