What's new

Star Wars Galaxies, Worth it? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
We've moved the CAble Modem to our winter house, so I'm wondering if it's worth it to try a blind purchase on Star Wars Galaxies. IS it worth the h ype after not having picked up a SW PC game since the first Kyle Katarn Jedi Game?

NickC

Second Unit
If there are still forum members playing the game then I would say it is, however, you must be into multiplayer online games that require team work to really get the most out of the game and to fully enjoy it, I had a blast playing the forum members while I was subscribed, new content is being added all the time, I would wait till december when mounts and player cities are sure to be in the game...

Yoshi Sugawara

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't played SW: Galaxies at all but the genral concensus I gather from various sites/opinions are:

Pros:
- nice Star Wars scenery
- good social scene, encourages interaction

Cons:
- there's too little static content (intersting missions, etc)
- character classes are unbalanced
- too much walking
- takes too much time to become a mid-powerful character
- little hope to see a real Jedi

Greg_TSL

Stunt Coordinator
Gamespy did a 3 month re-review and it sounds like the meat of the game is still missing.
Hopefully like Anarchy Online, they will greatly improve the game over the first year. Three months isnt a huge length of time, but if the game really comes together, you'll hear about it all over the place. I'd hold off for now.

Brian E

Screenwriter
Unless they've done a lot to it since the beta ended then I'd say no, not worth it IMO.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
I'll offer up the opposite opinion. I've been in the game since shortly after launch and I have enjoyed it a lot. Are there problems with the game? Sure, though to be honest I've never really encountered them (it may just be that I was lucky and not playing the problem classes). If you get together with those of us still playing or if you can find your own group of likeminded players, that will go a long way to helping you get more out of the experience. As has been mentioned, they are now testing some major changes - player cities, mounts, and a new class (politician). These should be out sometime in November. Whether they work right off the bat is, unfortunately, aanother question :). They are also adding vehicles (not space travel yet) shortly after these changes are done. They have tried to implement a monthly (or every 6 week) story. I haven't got involved in that part of the game so I can't speak to how fulfilling it is. I will say this - there are people who completed the latest art of the storyline hours after it came out. Now, this could mean it was too short or too easy, but I look at it more as these players not taking their time to fully enjoy the game. Anyway, if you have any questions please ask. There's a few of us still playing and we'd be glad to give you input.

Peter Loan

Second Unit
I got burnt out after a month. The Star Wars feel is superficial at best and the content is just not there. If you're seriously thinking about playing this game, just keep in mind that you have to have a herculean computer to run it along with at least a gig of RAM.

Dustin Wind

Stunt Coordinator
I played for 2 months and it got boring.
I was playing 12 hours a day when i first got it though.

Fun game, but gets boring. I mastered Creature Handler and quit.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
If you think you want to be Luke Skywalker this game is not for you.

If you think it would be fun to be Aunt Beru SWG just may be your bag.

Personally I found it boring in the extreme. Its pretty but theres no there there.

Sam

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
I still have an active account. Have been playing since launch day.

As others have stated, the game lacks content. There just isnt that much to do or see. The galaxy is filled with big empty planets, with lots of spawning enemies, but few cohesive goals/storylines to investigate.

The monthly stories are a step in the right direction. There is also a new dungeon called "The Warren" that is supposed to be pretty fun (I havent tried it out yet).

My character is a master weaponsmith and pistoleer. The crafting system in the game is pretty good. If it wasnt for crafting weapons I would have cancelled my account long ago. The problem is that you can craft tons of good weapons, sell them for lots of cash, but there is nothing really to spend the money on. There arent any unique or rare items. Pretty much all the items in the game are crafted by players.

Each month I contemplate whether I should cancel the account. At this point I will probably keep it going until years end and see what new content is added.

Jeff

SWG Character: Mopadi Ajola. Intrepid server.

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit
Well i just got my new computer and started playing this game yesterday. The character customization options are fun to play with. I haven't played a MMORPG since everquest about 2.5 years ago and there seems to be quite a steep learning curve to this game. The Holocron tutorial is very helpful but it's still taking me a while to pick up all the commands and options. Basically all i've done so far is arrive on Tattoine and kill a few basic creatures and harvest their resources. Still trying to figure out the whole cloning/insurance thing and how i go about healing damage (or battle fatigue, as damage appears to be healing on it's own so far).

I only played for about 2-3 hours, but so far it's keeping me entertained. I guess I won't know for a while yet if i agree with the usual complaint about there not being enough content.

Oh, and my new computer is a 2.8Ghz P4 with a Radeon 9800 and there's no way i can run this game anywhere close to maxxed on the settings. I think i'll leave most of the sliders around the middle and play it at 1024x768, but still messing around to see which setting work best.

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
Aaron:

Which server are you on ? If you are on Intrepid, look me up on Corellia (shop is at -2194,2114) and I can hook you up with any weapons you need for free.

Jeff

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit
Jeff,

Thanks for the offer. I think the character i made last night is on the Eclipse server, but once i get the hang of things and see how this character is going i might start another one, and if i do i'll choose Intrepid.

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
I enjoy this game immensely, It has problems yes, but it also has alot of fun going for it. I am a Master Ranger/Pistoleer and I belong to a Ranger guild. Grouping in hunts is alot of fun. I have a non-ch pet, a slicehound named Crocket to hunt with me when soloing, there is fun in this game but sometimes you have to look for it. My favorite part of the game is almost getting db'd by an aggro but getting back up in the nick of time or just barely taking down a tough creature and surviving there can be too much in the game that does not rely on skill at all such as getting badges. I hated being a n00b, the game is just too damn hard soloing, find someone to help you, make friends the people are great. I'm on the intrepid server, Jastrom is my char's name. The warren is lotsa fun but confusing i ran around there along time it's like a maze so definately jot down where you are running around.

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit
I'm new to the whole PC gaming thing, so can someone tell me what I should have the resolution refresh rate set to on this game (or at least what the difference is)? Specifically, should i be running the game at 1024x768 @ 60Hz or 1024x768 @ 75HZ?

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
Aaron:

If you have an LCD monitor, you should use 60hz. With old CRT monitors, the higher the refresh the better.

Jeff

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit
I'm actually enjoying this game quite a bit. Does anyone know if Zabrak (Zabraks, Zabraki?) can wear tusken raider clothing?

Do you mean the jedi holocrons? i saw one on ebay but i don't even know what they supposedly do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks