Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone know where to get good optical and component cables cheap?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 Ken Holmes

Ken Holmes

Stunt Coordinator

• 102 posts

Posted October 19 2003 - 10:10 AM

Looking for good quality optical and component cables for little $. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help,
Ken H

#2 of 13 Chu Gai

Chu Gai

Lead Actor

• 7,270 posts

Posted October 19 2003 - 11:24 AM

http://www.national-tech.com has component videos and toslink.
http://www.lifatec.com/ has interesting toslink...armour plated as well as others.

#3 of 13 Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,504 posts

Posted October 20 2003 - 12:45 AM

http://cables.musicianassist.com

I build component, but no TOSlink, sorry.

-V
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

#4 of 13 Mark Rich

Mark Rich

Second Unit

• 457 posts

Posted October 20 2003 - 04:31 AM

Vince,
How about you follow the rules and stop plugging your cable business on this forum??

Ken,
If you want affordable try the usual suspects: Avcable,Heartland,Rhinocables and Bluejeans. If they are still too pricey try searching E-bay for new or used cables.
"None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

#5 of 13 Ken Holmes

Ken Holmes

Stunt Coordinator

• 102 posts

Posted October 20 2003 - 11:50 AM

Is there a real difference in a $3 toslink cable and a $20 cable? Just curious what to look for. I bought a $10 toslink cab;e from Target a couple of years ago which works fine but I'm wondering if I would get better performance from more expensive cables?

Ken H

#6 of 13 Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,504 posts

Posted October 20 2003 - 02:51 PM

How about you follow the rules and stop plugging your cable business on this forum??

I was a moderator on this forum for 2 years, and have never seen anyone get into any trouble for suggesting a service when the poster ASKS FOR IT. I could see a problem if I just went around posting ads, but if someone is specifically looking for a service I provide- it is not different than you suggesting Bettercables or Bluejeans.

Feel free to report my post if you have a problem, let the moderators do their job-- I assure you they don't need you to do it for them.

-Vince
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

#7 of 13 Bob Kavanaugh

Bob Kavanaugh

Second Unit

• 282 posts

Posted October 20 2003 - 03:41 PM

Ken, i'm sure they'll all work fine for you. In that price range, most will argue no difference. My advice would be to buy the toslink with the best looking plugs, ones that won't be loose, and look like they'll snap in like they aren't going anywhere.

If it was my 20 bucks, I'd hop down to circuit city and get Monster's (**gasp!!** - "he said monster") low end THX (**what?** "THX in the same sentence, is he crazy?") optical cable and be done with it. It's what I did.

#8 of 13 Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh

Producer

• 5,183 posts

Posted October 20 2003 - 05:09 PM

Moderator Note: Vince sometimes helps fellow members out with cables, and system help because it's his hobby and he is a nice guy. (If you ever used our Primer/FAQ you have seen another of his projects.) Offering to help others is not violating our rules.

Thank you for trying to protect our fourm from commercial posters, but Maskeeper -- he is one of the good guys.

#9 of 13 Chu Gai

Chu Gai

Lead Actor

• 7,270 posts

Posted October 20 2003 - 05:42 PM

Well hopefully you'll get a bit more robust connector (even robust toslink connectors aren't all that great however for most of us that don't go around disconnecting reconnecting, it's a moot point), slightly thicker jackets, etc. If your lengths are nominal...a few meters, then plastic fiber toslink works just fine and no, you won't hear a difference. Either the bits get picked up or they don't.

#10 of 13 Keith M.

Keith M.

Second Unit

• 489 posts

Posted October 21 2003 - 04:20 AM

Check out www.partsexpress.com

They carry high quality cables at very reasonable prices, probably the best bang for the buck...

#11 of 13 Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker

Second Unit

• 404 posts

Posted October 21 2003 - 10:29 AM

I'll throw my recommendation in for www.heartlandcables.com. I replaced all of my Monster cables with their stuff, and have been very pleased on build quality, video/audio reproduction, prices, and customer service.
DJ_JonnyV

#12 of 13 JohnMW

JohnMW

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted October 21 2003 - 01:30 PM

I bought my optical/toslink cable from bettercables.com and the rest of my cables came from Blue Jeans Cables

You will most likely find BJC to be the best value and faster shipper of the DIY cable makers. Kurt is also responsive to emails. Posted Image

#13 of 13 Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor

• 712 posts

Posted October 21 2003 - 02:21 PM

Also check out http://www.svideo.com.

-Christian
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Benjamin Franklin)