Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Fargo SE problem near layer change?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor

• 661 posts

Posted October 18 2003 - 02:14 PM

I finally got around to watching the new Fargo SE last night and had a problem near the layer change, near the beginning of chapter 29 if I remember correctly. At first I thought it was just a really bad layer change pause, but then it started going again and froze again. Did this several times, sometimes with the picure getting very pixellated. For a minute or two, I thought I was watching digital cable. Posted Image

I looked at the disc, and it looks like there is a narrow band of distortion in the silver medium near the edge of the disc.

Is anyone else having a problem with this? I don't want to take the disc back if I'm just going to be exchanging it for another bad one.
Blücher!

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

• 1,825 posts

Posted October 18 2003 - 03:57 PM

Check out this thread.

There were also reports at DVD Talk. I'm on my third disc which plays fine. First one froze during the documentary, second froze around chapter 28. I didn;t know to look for the rippling at the edge before I exchanged mine, but others with problem discs have seen this on theirs as well.

I would exchange it.
My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVDSpot

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   GaryMore

GaryMore

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted October 19 2003 - 02:56 AM

Yeah, mine screwed up and froze at the 1:19 mark, and jumped ahead 10 mins... no way at all to play that portion of the dvd, and part of the dvd looking funky. I think I'm outside my Best Buy warranty period. Is there another way to get this exchanged, like contact the studio?

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

• 1,825 posts

Posted October 19 2003 - 03:13 AM

Gary, This released on 9/30. Unless you got it early, you should still be in the 30 return/exchange window for Best Buy.
My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVDSpot

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   GaryMore

GaryMore

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted October 19 2003 - 04:29 AM

Thanks Andrew, no, I didn't get it early, so I'll make that run to exchange it Posted Image

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor

• 743 posts

Posted October 19 2003 - 07:00 AM

this is interesting...because the FIRST edition of Fargo gave my old Panasonic fits of pixelization....so did the 16:9 reissue. now i'm scared to pick this one up...i have a new dvd player now but it's a panasonic also (rp91) which has had it's first big problem with lockups this week on another new MGM Special Edition (The Howling). -sean

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,068 posts

Posted October 19 2003 - 07:13 AM

I believe this disc is a DVD-18, which may account for the high error rate that I've noticed in peoples' reports.
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Mikal Haydn

Mikal Haydn

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted February 20 2004 - 06:32 PM

Wanted to watch this yesterday and as i took the disc out from the case, the edges felt brittle like dried glue (or close to that). Bad sign and my fears were confirmed - the mgm trailer and documentary froze and skipped and everything after the layer change was unplayable. It was OK during for the first two months after purchase last yr. Owners should test their copy these days since i thought i was spared from this earlier on...

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Tim O.

Tim O.

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted November 01 2004 - 08:58 AM

Count me in as another one with problems with this disc months on. I bought Fargo SE a year ago and watched it with no problems...tried to watch it again today again it broke up and pixilated at the MGM trailer, it's now completely unwatchable. I looked at the bottom and the disc had the appearance often attributed to DVD rot (cloudy areas). Cleaning the disc didn't help nor did trying it on a different player. I e-mailed MGM support about this...I wonder if they'll actually help or just give me the run-around.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Marko Berg

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

• 857 posts

Posted November 01 2004 - 09:19 PM

I too have had problems with this disc on my multi-region player. It exhibits the skipping, freezing and pixellation problems described in this thread. However, it plays perfectly on a friend's machine. I can view the disc without playback problems on my computer's DVD drive; however, PowerDVD has trouble with the menus. I can see and move the cursor in the menus but the choices are not visible. If I need to select language options or want to view extras, choosing options must be done on a trial-and-error basis. It's frustrating. I have many "cloudy" discs but none of them exhibit these symptoms. I don't think the disc has the so-called DVD rot, it's probably authored in such a way that many players have problems with it.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Hans M.

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted November 01 2004 - 10:44 PM

Curses! I have this still sealed sitting on my shelf. Now I do not know whether I should open it or return to a store or sell it before I get stuck with a flawed disc (I could deal with not owning it at all, and if I need to watch it I could always rent it or borrow it). If it's screwed up how could I get a refund for it (especially since I bought it months ago and my receipt is no longer valid). Has MGM provided any customer support in dealing with this issue? How would we contact them, should we need to?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users