Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Does bottoming out a driver damage it?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Gary Joe

Gary Joe

Stunt Coordinator

• 75 posts

Posted October 18 2003 - 10:19 AM

Finally got my Rythmik amp for my AV15 and wanted to test them out. I wired up the AV15 to the amp in series to the amp. AV15 is running fee-air. So I put in bass cd with gains turned down and raise it slowly half way. No probs. Everythings is going fine at this point. Then I put in LOTR/FOTR. I failed to turn down the gains (bad move). The first war scene comes on and WHACK WHACK. The speaker bottoms out about 8-12 times before I can get it shut down. It sounded like i was hitting a hammer on an anvil or something. I ran it a little after that before the wife and 2 year old got home and it seemed OK. My question is, could this have weakened or damaged the speaker any?
"Boy...You got a panty on your head!" -Raising Arizona

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Mark Hayenga

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor

• 608 posts

Posted October 18 2003 - 11:46 AM

You can definitely bend the VC former, but if you're not hearing any scraping it should be OK.
"There are 10 types of people in the world: those that understand binary, and those that have friends."

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   GrahamT

GrahamT

Supporting Actor

• 556 posts

Posted October 18 2003 - 01:12 PM

I agree, I have bottomed out subs and they seemed to work fine. Try pushing in the cone and listen for a scratching noise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users