What's new

SSX 3 proclaimed as BEST snowboarder ever... (1 Viewer)

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
SSX 3 expands upon Tricky in every way and then plants the whole game into a cohesive mountain that's rideable from top to bottom. It is better looking, better on the ears, and far deeper upfront and in the long run than its predecessors. From my perspective (someone who loves extreme sports games and has always liked the 1080 series), this is the best snowboarding game I have ever played. It's arcade-centric, trick heavy, and on the third peak, it's brutal, but in the end, nothing comes close to SSX 3.
IGN gave SSX 3 the following scores:

9.5 Presentation

Superb cutscenes, excellent radio chatter, and smooth transitions. Everything makes sense. Even the load times are even smooth and fast.

9.5 Graphics

Glistening snow, snowdrifts, realtime lighting, and excellent particles join some of the best animation I have ever witnessed.

9.5 Sound

Dozens and dozens of songs, editeable lists of music, the debut of the excellent Radio BIG, and some decent chatter too.

9.5 Gameplay

Deep as hell itself. The handplant is subtle, but the presses turn SSX 3 into a combo machine. Ubers, multipliers, upper deck half pipes, a 30-minute ride to the bottom?this game is insane!

9.5 Lasting Appeal

Even if you?re excellent at SSX 3, this game will take you at least 30 hours to get everything. And for PS2 owners, the online option makes it much, much longer. It's deep, baby.
9.5 OVERALL:

(out of 10 / not an average)

Game Informer even ranks SSX 3 #1 twice for the month of October - best overall game and best game for XBox.

This might be the first time I buy 2 games in a week...already got Jak II. Looks like I'll pick up SSX 3 on Tues (or is that Wednesday or Thursday...was supposed to be Sunday).

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
I'm sure it'll be great but I would take anything McIGN prints with a dumptruck of salt.

"I hear they pay their reviewers in McGriddles." - Gabe

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Wasn't aware that people looked at IGN's reviews with great disdain. Since I'm not aware of any other major gaming review sites, care to fill me in?

Damien

Supporting Actor
Wasn't aware that people looked at IGN's reviews with great disdain. Since I'm not aware of any other major gaming review sites, care to fill me in?
IGN PS2 and IGN GC are consistent, while sometimes going a tad too high(sms, jak 2) or a tad too low, but IGN xbox just slaps 9's on about everything, like DOA: xv, wwe raw 1 and 2, dead or alive 3. Or they just bash a game since it doesn't have xbox like qualities and give it a 3(mvscp2). Aaron Boulding and is one of the main reasons, a very poor reviewer.

You'll hear the opposite of www.videogames.com where they sometimes get very picky with games...Midnight Club 2 and MGS 1 are examples.

Too see the overall consensus of a title, gamerankings.com is the place to go.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Many thanks for the comprehensive info, Damien. I'll keep these in mind since I'm very picky about what to buy to spend what little money and time I have.

A peek at videogames.com reveals that it is also known as gamespot.com a site which I also scan.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
always liked the 1080 series
Out of curiosity, isn't there only a single "1080" game for the N64? Has the GC sequel been released?

More on topic, is there any word on a GC version of SSX3? I've got SSX Tricky and it's a lot of fun, surpassing 1080 in ways.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
This is the first time that EA's "no xbox live" is going to affect me. The SSX series is one of my favorites, and I don't know which to choose: the superior Xbox graphics, or the PS2 online options. If the PS2 online was as good as XBL, I'd choose that option, but PS2 online functionality always seems like a kludge - it works, but it's not exactly elegant.

*sigh*

BTW: Best Buy is offering $10 off if you buy the soundtrack and the game this week. It might be PS2 only, though.

-Dave

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Another BTW: is the whole uber trick thing still in the game? I hated the way that as soon as you maxxed your trick meter, you couldn't try do some insane trick - it always became a lame uber trick.

-Dave

Steven_V

Stunt Coordinator
Yes SSX 3 on Gamecube has also received high marks. A good source for reviews is GameRankings.com, which collects and combines media reviews from various websites and magazines to produce an overall score for each game.

Damien

Supporting Actor
This is the first time that EA's "no xbox live" is going to affect me. The SSX series is one of my favorites, and I don't know which to choose: the superior Xbox graphics, or the PS2 online options. If the PS2 online was as good as XBL, I'd choose that option, but PS2 online functionality always seems like a kludge - it works, but it's not exactly elegant.
It may also be easiest to pull of tricks on the PS2 too as all EA BIG games are usually designed with the dual shock 2 in mind.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Peter - I use Gamerankings.com for reviews since it provides composite scores from multiple sites and mags. I also browse gaming forums (this one and Penny Arcade forums) for thoughts on games from real people.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Thanks for all of the advice...looks like SSX 3 is going to be a damn good time, regardless of source.

I loved SSX & SSX Tricky - I actually became pretty good at both. One thing's for sure...I won't have much free time after next week (combined with the release of some big films, both theatrically & on dvd).

Have fun!

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Did anyone else here try the SSX3 demo on Playstation magazine from about a month back? It was HORRIBLE. You could tell it was an earlier build, but the magazine (which, granted, I don't really care for) did not emphasize the fact it was a "pre alpha". In fact I didn't hear anyone criticize this demo anywhere.

In the demo, the camera is shoddy (it nearly switches to top-view during a crash, and it's hard to see the track ahead), the rider physics feel heavy and cumbersome, the framerate sketchy, various trees and other objects come pixellated and up-close in the camera, obscuring your field of view, plus some of the "paths" in this short demo version have invisible walls that knock you down and send you tumbling down a path. In this form it doesn't hold a candle to even the first SSX.

It surprised me (pleasantly) to hear that the final build has improved enough that it feels "polished" and the gameplay "spot on". It had a long way to go in that October issue demo. I'm excited if the review accurately sums up the final experience. Does anyone know how far back this demo came from (in the development cycle)?

~s

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
So it seems PS2 is the system to get this game for.

- Much better controls
- Online play! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
- Graphics are "almost equally" as good as Xbox and GC (IGN)

Sounds good to me, I don't have a progressive display anyway. I hope there's no option for DTS though, especially if it's anything like SSX Tricky or GTA3:VC.

RossH

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ross Hudgins
I played the OPM demo...I wasn't impressed, but I knew it had to be a very early version. Looking forward to the improved frame rate and overall polish (graphics and sound were lacking a lot in the demo).

Watching the videos on the game's web site gives a much better impression. I'll definitely pick this up! In fact, I thought it was coming out last week...woops. ;)

Plus, Finger Eleven on the soundtrack! :emoji_thumbsup:

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I don't think that the controls are as big of an issue as many people make them out to be. I never had a problem switching from the PS2 controller to the Xbox controller for Tricky, so I doubt that would change for SSX3.

Even the IGN review makes no distinction between the PS2 and Xbox versions. They just note that the Cube controller feels awkward.

-Dave

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
The IGN review also mentions that the graphics on PS2 come really close to matching the graphics on 'Cube and 'Box, but aren't quite up to snuff. However, since I can't imagine SSX without the DualShock, I'll be getting the PS2 version.

The 10/03 PSM Demo of SSX3 was one of the most disappointing things I've ever played, glitchy, unwieldly and downright awful. The snowflakes are just little square 'pong' pixels and the control feels like an elephant strapped to a snowboard. The final game should feature a better camera (one that doesn't hover directly on top of the character) and controls that are responsive. The demo had neither.

~j

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks