Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Avia, S&V, VE/DVE calibration discs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   TylerZ

TylerZ

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted October 18 2003 - 01:47 AM

Does anybody have a link that compares the features of these calibration discs? Or which one would suggest? And why. Thanks in advance for your input.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   TylerZ

TylerZ

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted October 19 2003 - 12:22 PM

With all the helpful knowledge and opinions on this site I can't believe nobody replied.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted October 19 2003 - 12:24 PM

S&V is a somewhat stripped down version of Avia, though it has tones for 6.1, which Avia and VE do not.

VE has excellent video calibration material with thorough explaination. The audio calibration is fine, but I found the info to be less useful.

Have not picked up DVE yet.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted October 19 2003 - 12:26 PM

A lot of us know the features of each but I cannot think of a site that compares them. I used to have Video Essentials then I got AVIA when that came out because of its expanded video test signals (and audio too). I recently sold that off to get DVE because of the 6.1 among other things. It was also quite cheap compared to AVIA.
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   TylerZ

TylerZ

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted October 20 2003 - 01:27 PM

Thanks John and Neil. Looks like I'll pick up the DVE.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   TylerZ

TylerZ

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted October 21 2003 - 08:52 AM

Well for those interested I found a way to compare calibration discs. Hope this is of some use to those considering which one to purchase.
http://www.videoesse...m/ve_d_high.htm