What's new

Excellent news regarding the animated "Lord of the Rings"...apparently in widescreen! (1 Viewer)

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
There was a thread on DVD Talk at Link Removed where a user who claimed to have received "The Lord of the Rings" early and that the disc was in anamorphic widescreen after all. I assumed this user was trolling, so I asked for scans, and sho' nuff... These are fairly big files, so I'm just providing the URLs. If these were doctored and I was duped, I apologize.
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
------------------
My DVD list | My personal site

AndrewR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Rubio
I was just about to post this find.
If it's true....it's extremely good news!
Andrew
------------------
"There's nothing you can do to stop the catharsis of spurious morality!"

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
Hmm. well I'm going to put it back on my preorder list, if it isn't OAR/16x9 enahnce DVD Empire always takes em back.
------------------

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Ummm....these look bone fide! The Real Deal! A True thing!
And it definately has the Region 1 logo on it...
WOW!
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!! (skips around the room once more)
Thank you, WB...and my wife will thank you, too!
Thank you for passing it on, Adam! Terrific news! And I'll have even MORE terrific news in a separate post in just a minute or two...look for a subject "WB 3 for 3?..."
Cheers,
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
Widescreen is Family Fun!
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I usually have a keen eye for this sort of thing, and those scans look completely authentic.
I really have no interest in this movie, but I'm tempted to buy it anyway, just to show Warner how much support there is for widescreen on ALL DVD titles.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I just sent a note over to Quickbeam at THEONERING.NET, so we'll see what his reaction is!
By-the-way, did anyone else besides my lovely wife notice all the languages that were listed on the back??!!
Also note that the DVDTalk thread has serious discussion as to whether this is a Canadian version of the release, and that perhaps USA will get something different. I don't think so: It says "Not for Sale Outside the USA and Canada" and it has both USA's PG rating plus the Canadian ratings on it, too. I think these would be different if WB intended this box to only be sold in Canada.
The real question left is...WHEN? Day-and-date with the FS release? *Instead* of the FS release, perhaps? Or, like Wonka, later on down the road.
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
Widescreen is Family Fun!
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
The real question left is...WHEN? Day-and-date with the FS release? *Instead* of the FS release, perhaps? Or, like Wonka, later on down the road.
I suspect that this widescreen release is the only version we're getting. If there were two different versions, you can bet that the widescreen one would be marked with something other than the tiny box of text at the bottom of the back of the box. There'd probably be a large "WIDESCREEN" banner across the top of the front cover.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Can someone confirm that this is accurate?
If so, I will definitely purchase this DVD.
Say it's So, Warners.

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
Probably going to be burned at the torch for this, but...
Even though it coming in widescreen is great news (if it is true) I really can care less how I get it. At least I'll be able to own a copy of this version of LOTR, as good VHS copies are very hard to come by.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Even though it coming in widescreen is great news (if it is true) I really can care less how I get it.
Me too. A movie's aspect ratio is of utmost importance to me, so I can certainly care a LOT less about it.

Greg Mariotti

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmmmmm........Pretty interesting that Warner would include so many subtitles. I smell a phony.......
Greg Mariotti
The Uncool:Cameron Crowe Online Link Removed
cigarettes & coffee:
the definitive p.t. anderson resource www.ptanderson.com

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Their recent "Goonies" had a Portugese subtitle track, the first I've seen for them. I think they're simply starting to embrace multi-language subtitles, now that DVD is reaching a broader audience.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
If true this is great news. Take one more off the list for people to complain about repeatedly to no end about Warner. :)
J

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I make custom case art, and this has none of the tell-tale signs of a forgery. They'd have had to have all the proper fonts, work on the case, print it out, and scan it in to get around those obvious effects.
------------------
My DVD Collection

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
And shop should not be spelled shoppe!
wink.gif

I am incredibly excited about this news. If it pans (Ugh, no pun intended really. Now I feel sick.) out, and with Warner's decision to do us right on Wonka, and as Hammer's "The Mummy" is reportedly anamorphic OAR as well, and what with the Dirty Harry set coming out now... sheesh, I guess I gotta quit hatin' Warner's now!
[Edited last by Ben Motley on August 29, 2001 at 01:51 AM]

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
I have a doubt ...if you were to scan the back of a Warner case to that resolution, you would clearly see the half-tone screen process from the printer. There is no such pattern on this art. De-screening would not hide it completely, and if the person who scanned it had blurred the image enough to hide the half-tone pattern, then the text and other graphic elements would look very blurred.
Hmmmmm,

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
According to dictionary.com is can be dwarfs or dwarves
Tolkien stipulated that that the correct spelling of his characters is always Dwarves and Elves, not Dwarfs and Elfs. Not that I'd expect Warner or any other such concern to get it right, but there you go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks