What's new

GTA3 and Vice City: Xbox version November 4th??!!!! (1 Viewer)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
t'was announced in early September. There have been a few threads about it. :D

Here's the news story...

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 3, 2003--Rockstar Games, the world-renowned publishing division of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO - News), announced today that it plans to ship the award-winning Grand Theft Auto 3 and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City as a "double pack" for both the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system and the Xbox® video game system from Microsoft. The Grand Theft Auto "double pack" is set to hit shelves in North America on October 22, 2003 for PlayStation®2 and on November 4, 2003 for Xbox.
I'm SOOOOO looking forward to this. I've got GTA for my PC... but never got around to VC. Now both on my big ol' living room TV? AWESOME. :D

(Oh..head over to ign. (xbox.ign.com) Last time I was there, they had a few screens from the XBox version.)

Marc Carra

Supporting Actor
Wow, I don't know how I missed this one. Spending too much time with the family, not enough time reading the forum, I guess :)

Marc.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
How dare you, Marc?!?!

Yes, I'll be all over this one. I don't play any SCEA games so I really wasn't missing out on not owning a PS2. GTA was the only game that was out on PS2 that I wished was out on XBox and it now looks like someone read my mind! :D

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
As an owner of PS2 and XBox I wont be buying this. Now if there are extra levels and such then yes I will buy it. I dont have GTA3 but it can be had for $20 or less on Ps2. Call me a cheap bastid but Its not worth the $50 to me.

Im still not even finished with VC yet either!

:frowning:

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
According to OXM, GTA and Vice city will shine on the Xbox. This version will support in game 5.1 surround, 720P presentation and enhanced graphics to take advantage of it, as well as longer draw distances. There are other enhancements as well but I can't remember them all. For those of us who have never played this, we will be getting the best version yet.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
I have GTA3 and VC for my PS2, but I'll be picking up the XBox compilation for sure. The improved graphics, custom music playlists and convenience of having the series on the Xbox is very appealing to me.

The thought of pulling drivebys on people with "It's a Small World After All" playing in the background is also very appealing to me.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
After hearing my buddy Stu taunt and tease me for months because "the best video game out right now isn't even ON Xbox..." this is great news indeed.

There's a little preview of the Xbox version in this month's Game Informer magazine, and it sure sounds solid.

A definite purchase for me.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
GTA3 as well as Vice City are in the top 5 video games I have ever played. I put it in the ranks of the original Atari Pitfall, Legend of Zelda, and Metroid games.....

I no longer have my PS2, I gave it to my best friend. I really miss Vice and GTA3...

BUT..... I now have an XBOX... You can bet I will have this game on release date baby!!!! WOOOHOOOO :D :D :D

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
No loopholes or anything that interesting. It appears it was a simple renegotiation between Take Two/Rockstar and Sony. There was an article in May on IGN about a Take Two conference call where the renegotiation was first mentioned.

Here is the link:

Take Two and Sony renegotiate

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I think Rockstar (?) found a loophole of somesort.
Don't fall for the mag hype of "changing the name lets them release it!!". Take Two openly renegotiated the contract with Sony.

The next GTA title will debut exclusively on the PS2 BTW.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
It'd be very surprising if the PS2 versions were upgraded to 480p support. First, it's hard to believe that they would go to the extra extra effort for what is basically a repackaging. Second, the PS2 hardware seemed to be pretty taxed running the games in 480i.

-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread