Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Your top pick from this list

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Brock

• 15 posts

Posted October 17 2003 - 01:18 AM

Hello all, I am looking for a good entry-level home theater system. I'm not very knowledgeable about which systems to consider, although I have picked up some info on this board. Here are the ones I'm considering: — Energy Take 5.1 — Fluance 5.1 — Acoustic Research HC6 — Hsu Ventriloquist — Wharfedale Diamond 8.1 and center w/ DFS surrounds and Dayton sub Please take into account sound and aesthetics. I'd like a nice maple/cherry finish if possible, but at this pricepoint I can't be too picky. I'd also appreciate if you not recommend that I save up for a better system. I'd like to get a good setup now and start enjoying it right away, then upgrade at a later time if desired. So which would be your top choice from the above selections, and which other systems in this range not listed would you recommend I consider as well? I thank you all very much.

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   george king

george king

Supporting Actor

• 626 posts

Posted October 17 2003 - 02:41 AM

Go check out the RADMicro package at www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com

They are custom made, sound great, and Brian is a great guy, and a true craftsman.

Hope this helps.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Richard_B

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted October 17 2003 - 02:55 AM

I have heard good things on the Energy system. What is your budget?

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Brock

• 15 posts

Posted October 17 2003 - 02:58 AM

Well, the budget is going to have to be around $600. I know it's not much, so I'm trying to find the best bang for the buck. Thank you

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   CurtisSC

• 1,412 posts

Posted October 17 2003 - 03:13 AM

I think it will be tough getting valuable opinions on this. I do not think many people have heard more than two or three of the setups you have listed. I have heard a prototype Ventriloquist system, and at Take 5.1 system. Between those two, I would go with the Ventriloquist.
Manhattan Beach, California

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor

• 867 posts

Posted October 17 2003 - 03:22 AM

The Energy system isn't bad for what your looking for. If you are willing to spend $600 perhaps look at a bookshelf system.. Klipsch offers some nice bookshelves that you should be able to find 5 speakers (bookshelves and center) for about $450 and then you just have to find the subwoofer and your set. It's probably more trouble than your looking for and if you just want a simple system the Energy isn't bad, neither is the RadMicro suggested.

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   RichardH

Supporting Actor

• 742 posts

Posted October 17 2003 - 09:55 AM

If you're not dead set on gonig w/ something on your list, you might consider what was just recommended to me. JBL NSP-1 II (5 speaker package), plus the Dayton 10" powered sub from partsexpress.com

Here are links:

... comes to $305 plus shipping.

Or, if you really can go all the way to $600 and want a nice finish, check out these:

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Martin H

Martin H

• 16 posts

Posted October 17 2003 - 11:10 AM

Another option to consider is to build your system in stages. Use the $600 you have budgeted now to buy mains, or mains + a sub, then add the center and surrounds later. Obviously you don't get the full effect right away, but in a year or two, you will have an even nicer system and might stave off the upgrade bug longer. Just a thought.

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Ian-Fl

Second Unit

• 281 posts

Posted October 17 2003 - 12:01 PM

I bought the Fluance sx-htb and a Harman Kardon avr125 a few months ago for $600 including shipping. I just added a Dayton sub today. The good thing about the Fluance package is the mains put out alot of bass. It's not the low pressure sensation that the Sub puts out but it kept me entertained until I could go for the sub.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Mike_Gr

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted October 17 2003 - 12:53 PM

I haven't heard the Fluance or the HSU, but I have heard the rest. My pick is an easy one. I would definately pick the Wharfedale Diamonds over the rest....hands down. I am not shy at all about recommending these speakers; especially to those who are on a more constrained budget. At their price point, I haven't come across anything that performs as well. I would like to note that I am not a Diamond owner, so I am not offering this suggestion out of owner-bias. I came across the Diamonds when I first set out looking for a HT system. My budget was substantially higher than the pricetage of the Diamonds, but out of curiousity I pretty much auditioned everything I came across. In any event, as I moved 'up the chain', I began to realize just how much of a good value the Diamonds are. I was finding systems that weren't as good and systems that were on par with the Diamonds....yet the Diamonds were much less expensive. As far as aesthetics, that is for you to decide. I happen to like the way the Diamonds look with their grilles removed...those yellow kevlar drivers contrast nicely against the black or maple finish (I like the black the most). Best of luck.
Knowledge is power

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users