What's new

New version of "Mad World" out this week? (1 Viewer)

Pete SE

Agent
I read on another forum today that MGM released a longer version of IAMMMMW this week, unannounced.

I took a trip over to CC to check it out and indeed there is a different version from the one I have. It has a different bar code number.

Although the artwork on the front is the same the "Special Features" block in the back is different.It only states the various soundtracks. There is no mention that it is a "New 16x9 transfer from Original 35mm Theatrical Version".
It also doesn't mention containing the "Something...Serious" documentary, the trailers or extended scenes.

I'm wondering if it could be a longer version or if they just put the movie on a single layer disc. It may be the latter since they are selling this version for $9.99 and the older version for $14.99.

Anyone know for sure?

Pete SE

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
There's no longer version coming out.

MGM has refused to fund any restoration that
needs to be done.

In fact, all the original elements of the
film are probably nearly destroyed (if not already).

We really tried to persuade MGM to do the right
thing with this title.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
There's no longer version coming out.

MGM has refused to fund any restoration that
needs to be done.

In fact, all the original elements of the
film are probably nearly destroyed (if not already).

We really tried to persuade MGM to do the right
thing with this title.
Sad. I guess this film can join the ranks of silent films made 3 1/2 decades before it. I guess we'll never see those extra Buster Keaton scenes. :frowning:

Pete SE

Agent
Ron,

I knew it wouldn't be a restoration but I thought it might have the police calls that have been added to the print running at the Dome this week.

With some seamless branching that should be possible with little problem.

A nice scan of this new UP print in 2:76 would be a plus also.

Jo_C

Second Unit
I think, Ronald, that you forgot about our fellow comrade-in-arms, Robert Harris, continuing his quest to return "Mad World" to its original roadshow form and that he says he has some (if not all) of the deleted footage.

Mr. Harris, care to follow up on this for us, if you can?

Jo_C

Second Unit
Before this thread "falls off", I think I should "feed it" some more...I too saw the revised DVD today at a local store that begins with the letter "T".

BruceKimmel

Stunt Coordinator
I went to the re-premiere tonight, at the Cinerama Dome. What fun. The new 70mm print looks spectacular (albeit a bit dim, usual for the Dome projection). The police calls were a hoot. Edie Adams, Sid Caesar and Marvin Kaplan were there, at least they are the ones I saw. It plays just fine at whatever length this version is - 164 I think. I suppose it would be nice if the missing bits were restored, but it's really long as it is. My two, anyway.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I went to the "re-premiere," too and there was a lot of talk about "work" having been done on the film. So who knows, maybe something's going on at MGM that we're not aware of.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am going to do just an assumption here.

MGM certainly hasn't re-released this title
in its original roadshow version as fans of
this film have been requesting since 1997.

I am not even sure MGM has re-released this
DVD other than possibly putting out at a new
price point.

I just did a search on DIGITAL EYES and
LASERS EDGE. LASERS EDGE only showed one
version of the film. DIGITAL EYES showed
two versions and even noted one of them as
being a "Special Edition." However, all the
versions list the running time as 154 minutes,
which I believe is the running time of the
theatrical version (not the roadshow).

Why on earth MGM is re-releasing this title
as a "Special edition" is beyond me. There
is nothing special about it if they haven't
done the necessary restoration needed to save
the film and revert it back to its original
roadshow version.

Would love to know what MGM has done with
this so-called "Special Edition" to make it
worthy of what its fanbase has yearned for.

Look forward to your replies.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
I asked MGM for more details about this DVD re-release when it came up in a similar thread several weeks ago (not sure why this duplicate thread was created). The official response:

MGM: There is a vanilla version coming out (it has the movie only, no special features). It is the exact same transfer/sound-mix/running time of the special edition we released a few years ago.
So, that appears to be that.

This is just as MGM did with the movie-only versions of West Side Story and Some Like It Hot at a reduced price as an alternative for people who don't want to pay extra for the special editions. It's purely a marketing move and has nothing to do with efforts to fix or restore the movie.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
For the record:

There has been no restoration or reconstruction work done to Mad World.

MGM has produced a print.

The light output at the Dome is not "dim."

Ron is very much in the loop on this title.

RAH

BruceKimmel

Stunt Coordinator
Well, Robert, the light output at the Dome last night was a bit dim, and I'm not the only one who mentioned it. The light output at the Dome has always seemed a bit dim to me and I think I've been there as many times as you.

Furthermore, for a film that has had no "restoration" done to it, the 70mm print looked pretty damned spectacular. Which begs the question: Other than putting back the missing bits, exactly what sort of "restoration" is needed? If a 70mm print can be produced off a negative, with pretty terrific results, then I'd be curious to know what additional "restoration" steps would be taken (other than, as I said, putting back the missing bits, which I gather you've found - at least I think I read that here).

Pete SE

Agent
On the Google RAMT forum they mentioned that they were using a combination of lenses. A a borrowed UP anamorphic lens and another for the curved screen. This combo might have diminished light output somewhat.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I heard from a reputable source that a relatively new 35mm print (struck about 2 years ago) was used as a color timing reference for this 70mm print. The problem? The 35mm printing element was starting to fade when that print was made: blacks were blue, fleshtones leaned towards yellow, etc. We ran that 35mm print side by side with a dye-transfer print from the original release, and the color was quite different. (I suppose if you didn't have something to compare it to, that new print would have looked okay.)

It's sad that a print with poor color was used as a timing reference for the new 70mm copy!

BruceKimmel

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, I don't know Bob - it doesn't have any of that Eastmany look to it. The reds are true, the blacks are true, the blues are true. Merman's dress and Provine's blonde hair popped out incredibly well. You haven't seen it, Bob, so don't be too disappointed until you do. It looked really good. And man was it sharp. I really miss 70.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Since MGM has released this film, they could and should have included the OVERTURE, which was inadvertently missing from their previous DVD. I guess putting the changing colors back into the Main Title would be more difficult.

I saw it yesterday at the Dome and must concur that it was a beautiful presentation. It looked a bit dim to me too, but didn't bother me much.

I don't know if they fiddled with the sound, but the surround and separation was very active for a 1963 film. It really enveloped one. And what a great score, recorded to perfection! (I think at Goldwyn) Too bad the original music tracks seem to have disappeared. They would make a great CD release. The album was rerecorded and just didn't have the punch and orchestral detail the original had.

I hope that someday we can have a definitive MAD WORLD that is nearer the original cut of the film, but I guess time is running out.

In a little blurb in the LA Times, MGM states they sold 250,000 DVD units. Surely this would convince them there are rabid fans out there that would gladly buy the DVD again.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
In a little blurb in the LA Times, MGM states they sold 250,000 DVD units. Surely this would convince them there are rabid fans out there that would gladly buy the DVD again.
Unfortunately, it seems to have convinced them that even more people would pony up for a bare-bones movie-only disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks