Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Pearl Harbor--Best packaging ever?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Matt_P

Matt_P

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted August 31 2001 - 11:01 AM

Check out http://www.moviereco...0010831_153.php for detailed images showing the interior/exterior packaging of the Pearl Harbor Commemerative Gift Set and the Director's Cut. The packaging, which is designed to look like a worn leather logbook, is pretty impressive. The Director's Cut set also includes 4 post cards featuring the WWII-style American propaganda poster art, which depicts the lead actors in a heroic light. When studios go all out on a release and provide a unique, themed package, it really makes a difference. Let's just hope it's durable.

------------------
"Memory can change the shape of a room; it can change the color of a car. And memories can be distorted. They're just an interpretation, they're not a record, and they're irrelevant if you have the facts." - Leonard Shelby, MEMENTO

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher

Producer

• 3,452 posts

Posted August 31 2001 - 11:05 AM

Indeed, I just raised this in an existing thread. Where do the discs go though? I'm guessing the central white section folds out or something... Anything is durable providing one takes care of it, but if a lot of folding is involved, things begin to crease, creases become tears then it quickly becomes a ealy big "argh" situation. It is very nice looking regardless... Dan (UK) [Edited last by Dan Brecher on August 31, 2001 at 02:10 PM]

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   Anthony Navaja

Anthony Navaja

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted August 31 2001 - 01:01 PM

If you notice the inside art of the Director's cut, there's a brown pocket on the right side. At first I thought that's where they will stick it but now that I look at it, I think the middle area with the Pearl Harbor words is where the discs will be.
»»» DVDtoons.com «««
Faster Than a Speeding Laserdisc!

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Kenneth English

Kenneth English

Second Unit

• 422 posts

Posted August 31 2001 - 01:22 PM

Huh. Call me boring if you will but I wish all these studios would just stick with the keepcase. I hate having all these different sized tins and boxes and Deluxe-Super-Dooper-Mondo-Bigtime-Spectacular-Limited-Buy-It-Now-Before-Its-Too-Late-Editions cluttering my shelves. One word comes to mind: Gimmick. I've never been much of a collector type so all this special packaging seems a waste of cardboard to me. The keepcase is no-frills, sure, but more importantly it's durable -- something that none of these boxes and snappers and whatnot can claim. Oh well. To each his own...

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler

Producer

• 3,973 posts

Posted August 31 2001 - 01:27 PM

Well, I've found that my Repo Man tin can repel bullets - as long as they're fired from a blue and white pistol labeled 'Gun'. Posted Image

[Edited last by Alex Spindler on August 31, 2001 at 04:27 PM]

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter

• 1,568 posts

Posted August 31 2001 - 01:30 PM

I find it hard to believe that the pine wood box of The Wicker Man Limited Edition will ever be beaten for many, many years to come.

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   David-alexander

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator

• 218 posts

Posted August 31 2001 - 02:28 PM

Well, thanks for the link. It seems the first tentative look of the director's cut edition has been changed, to the better I would say ( personal opinion ). Still a bit weird, that "old, used" look though. There are some nice posters of the film ( aside from the classic one) that could have been used. It still looks so "tomby" or funeral (tragic event of course but still..... ). bah, what matters is the director's cut: this will be very interesting and could give the film a new career.

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   MichaelPe

MichaelPe

Screenwriter

• 1,118 posts

Posted August 31 2001 - 03:14 PM

I'm drooling just looking at those photos!!! This is, by far, the best packaging I've ever seen for a DVD.

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted August 31 2001 - 03:44 PM

I have to admit that the packaging does look incredible. Unfortunately, a shiny turd is still turd - no matter how much you try and polish it.

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Dan Wetzel

Dan Wetzel

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted August 31 2001 - 03:52 PM

Very Impressive!!

It looks like some kind of keepcase will fit inside the center (white) part of the packaging.

Glad someone is pushing the envelope yet again.

------------------
DVD Collection
DVD Collection

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted August 31 2001 - 05:37 PM

Ahhh. Now thats much, MUCH better. Im used to the old photo of the Directors Cut. You know, the one that looks the same as the 60th but with the tiny graphic in the middle.

EEEwwwwwww.

THIS looks sooo much nicer. Cant wait to get it. Posted Image Posted Image

------------------
Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I am comfortable with that. I am enlightened.

Another supporter of 1080p and uncompressed multi-channel sound!

My Twin 18's. 50cuft of box, tuned to 11hz and with 2k watts on tap.

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher

Producer

• 3,452 posts

Posted September 01 2001 - 03:21 AM

Quote:
If you notice the inside art of the Director's cut, there's a brown pocket on the right side. At first I thought that's where they will stick it but now that I look at it, I think the middle area with the Pearl Harbor words is where the discs will be.
Yes I'd agree, the pocket to the right would seem to be for the postcards. Dan (UK)

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   YANG

YANG

Second Unit

• 482 posts

Posted September 01 2001 - 07:41 AM

Among the two packaging shown,of course the director's cut VISTA set is the best of all.I prefer the 60th anniversary gift set,which a map showing the attack is included.I'm curious,isn't the 60th anniversary gift set supposed to be a regular release two disc set?

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher

Producer

• 3,452 posts

Posted September 01 2001 - 08:22 AM

Yang, That pic would seem to dictate that the boxed commemoraive edition itself is 3 discs, with disc 1 being the theatrical cut of the movie, disc 2 being some extras, and the third disc being the National Geographic Documentary (which is sadly not included with the Directors Cut release). Dan (UK)

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,726 posts

Posted September 01 2001 - 11:21 AM

Wow...that really is a nice looking package......now all they need is an actual good movie to go with it! ------------------
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users