Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

x-box with projector

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Greg Rooney

Greg Rooney

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted October 15 2003 - 11:51 PM

Has anyone used a x-box with a projector?
Does it look good? I am thinking of a 16:9 ratio
projector with ~95" screen sitting ~ 13 feet back.
The theater is in the basement so I have very good light
control. Also any thoughts on which projector in the
$3000 range.
Thanks

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Dave_Olds

Dave_Olds

Stunt Coordinator

• 188 posts

Posted October 16 2003 - 01:12 AM

Good?....no.
Great?..YES..!!! Posted Image

I use Xbox with my lowly AE100, 16:9 84" wide screen and its just fantastic. Totally immersive. Football is like you are on the field and the sensation of speed is incredible, both in sports and racing....

IMO, XBOX was designed for this sort of setup. It works great...If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask....But since any current projector is better than my AE100 - I dont see how you can go wrong...

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Greg Rooney

Greg Rooney

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted October 16 2003 - 02:04 AM

Do projectors have a DVI hookup?
I saw in the official Xbox mag that some
company is making a DVI adaptor for the Xbox
a wondered if this would yield the best picture?
I am now using component video and optical conectors.
thanks

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Greg Rooney

Greg Rooney

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted October 16 2003 - 03:53 AM

what games? or type of games? Or company?
Are most good?
I will try and find the info on the DVI tonight.

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted October 16 2003 - 04:58 AM

If you can get a projector with a long bulb life then so much the better, especially if you play for hours on end.
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Jon_Miller

Jon_Miller

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted October 16 2003 - 05:25 AM

Actually, playing Xbox on a big 16:9 projector would'nt be THAT great. For one, most Xbox games don't even support 16:9, most are just 4:3 480p. Thus if you display 480p in native 4:3 on a 16:9 screen, the image will be distorted -- stretched horizontally, and quite dramatically. For the most part, the only games for the Xbox that actually support widescreen are 720p and 1080i games, such as ETM, and DS3D, and SC2. For the majority of Xbox games, 4:3 is still the better choice.

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Joey

Joey

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted October 16 2003 - 05:59 AM

Wouldn't the aspect ratio of a 4:3 game on a 16:9 screen remain 4:3? That is, you'll get black bars on the side? The image wouldn't be distorted, and it'll be the biggest 4:3 screen possible on that 16:9.

I have my XBox connected to my Sony 36XBR800, and the TV switches from 16:9 mode to 4:3 mode automatically depending on the signal from the XBox (which obviously depends on the game). I assume that the case is the same with a 16:9 screen (auto-switching).

Madden 2004 is in 16:9 and NHL 2004 is in 4:3 and my set switches between the two automatically.

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   David Broome

David Broome

Stunt Coordinator

• 226 posts

Posted October 16 2003 - 06:17 AM

As long as you set the PJ correctly (tell it it is receinvg a 4:3 image), it will display correctly. And yes it is incredible. Playing Halo on a 100 screen is awesome, especially when the three people complain that their 1/4 of the screen on multiplayer is bigger than their WHOLE screen when playing by themselves at home.

And in Project Gotham, when I raced my dad and brother on a San Francisco course, they had to get up and leave because it was too real and made them sick :-)

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Dave_Olds

Dave_Olds

Stunt Coordinator

• 188 posts

Posted October 16 2003 - 07:07 AM

Quote:
And in Project Gotham, when I raced my dad and brother on a San Francisco course, they had to get up and leave because it was too real and made them sick :-)

Yes, project gotham is breathtaking on the San Francisco tracks....the jumps really give you that feeling in the pit of your stomach - very rollercoasterish...!!!

Quote:
Actually, playing Xbox on a big 16:9 projector would'nt be THAT great. For one, most Xbox games don't even support 16:9, most are just 4:3 480p. Thus if you display 480p in native 4:3 on a 16:9 screen, the image will be distorted -- stretched horizontally, and quite dramatically. For the most part, the only games for the Xbox that actually support widescreen are 720p and 1080i games, such as ETM, and DS3D, and SC2. For the majority of Xbox games, 4:3 is still the better choice.

What the?
I am sorry that just isnt correct....Many do support 480p 16:9 - its actually supposed to be a minimum, but some do not....Over 3/4 of my catalog are 16:9 480p games - and those that are not are perfect in 4:3 and even look just fine is "Just" mode of my projector....Most PJs have a justification mode that bridges the gap just fine...

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Dave_Olds

Dave_Olds

Stunt Coordinator

• 188 posts

Posted October 16 2003 - 07:11 AM

Quote:
Wouldn't the aspect ratio of a 4:3 game on a 16:9 screen remain 4:3? That is, you'll get black bars on the side? The image wouldn't be distorted, and it'll be the biggest 4:3 screen possible on that 16:9.

Some PJs do, some do not....regardless, its a pretty miniscule task to manually switch if necessary, if for some reason it misidentifies....

But yeah, 4:3 just has the bars a'la widescreen TV and is still huge (the largest on your screen) and undistorted....

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   TommyL

TommyL

Supporting Actor

• 590 posts

Posted October 16 2003 - 11:39 AM

SOmeone take a fewe pictures of madden or something..I think that'll be da bomb for me...grab your digital camera,..come on..your killin me!Posted Image tom

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   George_W_K

George_W_K

Screenwriter

• 1,467 posts

Posted October 16 2003 - 03:55 PM

Sorry I don't have a camera, but I do have an X1 and I play my X-Box on a 92" 16 X 9 screen. I love it! It's fun playing Unreal Championship against my friends when they can't see me because their screens are too small!Posted Image

I don't have a problem with any of my games looking distorted. I have my X-Box set on 16 X 9 mode and so is my projector (even though it is native 4:3). Soul Calibur II (I just can't seem to spell that right) is the only game for me so far to display black bars on the sides.

If you have the $$$$$ do your research on some PJ's and pull the trigger, you won't regret it. And you also get the benefit of watching movies on a big screen as well.Posted Image

George

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Greg Rooney

Greg Rooney

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted October 17 2003 - 12:05 AM

I think I was mistaken when I saw info on a DVI adaptor.
It was actually what is called the Neoya X2VGA adaptor.
I still wonder if the VGA signal would give a better picture than the componet video cables I use now?
(I use the Microsoft adaptor and cables)
It sounds like a projector will work well with my Xbox.
Thanks.

Forum Nav Content I Follow