Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Just got a Mits DD-8040 (questions)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   JoeRiley

JoeRiley

Stunt Coordinator

• 82 posts

Posted October 15 2003 - 04:21 PM

So far, I'm impressed with the picture quality. It even plays my incorrectly flagged dvds well. But I am curious... if I made the jump to the Denon 1600, would I notice any difference? I'm not interested in DVD-Audio and all that stuff, I just want my DVD movies to look and sound the best possible. I'd be willing to shell out the extra money for the Denon if you guys think it's any better then the Mits. Thanks!
"I aint got time to bleed." - Jesse Ventura, Predator

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Don_Berg

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted October 15 2003 - 06:33 PM

I compared those models. The Denon DVD-1600 (and Panasonic RP82/XP30/XP50) have a flatter frequency response so have a much sharper picture. Also the Mitsubishi DD-8040 has the color flicker issue on the top and bottom edges of saturated color areas due to CSS=on, on the other models CSS=off. Since the Denon DVD-1600 is only about $50 more than the DD-8040, I think its worth it. However the DD-8040 has some features the Denon lacks, like auto-scaling of 4:3 titles to window-box for a 16:9 display.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Dan Mastro

Dan Mastro

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted October 16 2003 - 12:39 PM

i have the dd8040 too. i watch dvds on a 32" plasma, and the wife said "this is what a movie should look like". i recently purchased 6 interconnects for the 6 channel dvd-a discs, which sound great. i'm no expert, but satisfied with my purchase. just like cars, there's always one that looks better, costs more and you drool over. so i guess it's up to you. are you happy with it? if so keep it, if you have remorse, swap it out. dan

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   JoeRiley

JoeRiley

Stunt Coordinator

• 82 posts

Posted October 17 2003 - 06:08 PM

Thanks for the advice guys.

I am pretty impressed with the overall quality. But if I can get pretty close to the best for only $50 more, why not, right? Posted Image

I did find the 1600 for $315 shipped online... so I might go with that.
"I aint got time to bleed." - Jesse Ventura, Predator

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Craig Thomas

Craig Thomas

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted November 20 2003 - 09:08 AM

I went from an older Sony player to the 8040 and am VERY impressed with the film-like quality the Mistubishi produces. Action scenes and fast pans are smooth. DCDi chip provides rich detail of video. Discs take kind of long to load, and it's silver. my 2 cents Craig™

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor

• 874 posts

Posted November 29 2003 - 04:10 AM

I just picked up a Mitsubishi last night. Which company makes it for Mitsubishi? I am asking because I want discreet codes to turn it on and off(and Remotecentral doesn't list this player).
To educate a man in mind and not morals is to educate a menace to society.
Teddy Roosevelt

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Don_Berg

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted November 29 2003 - 06:57 AM

The Mitsubishi DD-8040 is suspiciously similar to the Denon DVD-1200. I suspect the same Chinese manufacturer makes both of them, the setup menus appear nearly identical. Try Denon codes.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor

• 874 posts

Posted November 29 2003 - 10:12 AM

I tried the Denon codes but no luck. I also tried the Panasonic codes but no luck with them either.
To educate a man in mind and not morals is to educate a menace to society.
Teddy Roosevelt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users