What's new

Titanic (1997) has greatest ending of all time, according to new survey. (1 Viewer)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Diet Coke polled 1000 film fans, and compiled a list of the top 10 movie endings.

WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD.

"Movie blockbuster Titanic has the greatest ending of all time, says a new survey. Film fans think the scene in which ageing Rose (Gloria Stuart) throws a locket into the ocean and dies to be reunited with lover Jack (Leonardo DiCaprio),is fabulous.
Second best is The Shawshank Redemption, as escaped convict Tim Robbins meets up years later with prisoner pal Morgan Freeman."

1)Titanic (1997)

2)The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

3)The Italian Job (1969)

4)Casablanca (1942)

5)The Usual Suspects (1995)

6)An Officer and a Gentleman (1982)

7)The Sixth Sense (1999)

8)ET The Extraterrestrial (1982)

9)Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)

10)Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994)

Four Weddings? One of the best movie endings ever? No chance. There is a handful of famous endings in that list though, my favorite being Casablanca. I would have thought that Seven would be in there somewhere.
Greatest ending of all time for me would be the one at the climax of Planet of the Apes (1968).

ps. Hmmm so the old girl died at the end of Titanic and joined her ghostly lover? How I saw it too, makes the film a ghost story too, brrr.;)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I'm with you, Michael. Had it been regular Coke, I would take it more seriously. :)

And now, because I feel like it, some of my favorite movie endings:

The Empire Strikes Back
Casablanca
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
A Fistful of Dollars
Psycho
Chinatown
Dead Ringers
Fight Club
Notorious
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Sunset Boulevard

and of course anything starring Jean Claud Van Damme, because there is not better way to end a film than with a slow-motion spinning jumpkick that doesn't really connect with the guy's face but that's Ok 'cause he's the good guy.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Not a bad list...

Although, it would have been interesting if the ending to Around the World in Eighty Days got enough votes.

"This IS the end."

Will K

Screenwriter
Sorry, Diet Coke, but the best ending ever(for my money, anyway) is from Brian DePalma's The Fury, in which Amy Irving uses telekinesis to make John Cassavettes explode.

I never thought the ending of Titanic was particularly special.

Matthew Watson

Stunt Coordinator
I dunno... when I saw the end of Titanic, the first thing that came to mind was, "Wasn't this how The Shining ended?"

It was an enjoyable "Mystery Science Theater" moment for me, at least.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
When Titanic ended I wondered if everyone had suddenly caught a cold or something, everyone was sniffing, except me of course, I'm immune to such blatant manipulation... *sniff* oh I can't help it,[eyes well up] why why why did the old bat have to throw that jewel into the sea? What a waste! [wipes tears] :frowning:

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
For me though, it's really hard to separate a movie's ending from the movie itself. How can a movie have a "great" ending if I really didn't like the film.

My list of great film endings would be very similar to my list of great films.

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
Gladiator - Great movie, good ending

Memento - Great movie, out of nowhere ending

PS - Your post made me LOL Steve... :D

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
[rant]Are they $&#*ing KIDDING??[/rant] :angry: Jeez, who the hell thinks this sludge up? Titanic didn't have a very orig ending but it's obvious that this was a popularity contest. EEESH! Didn't any of 'em see...

Some Like it Hot
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
White Heat
Boogie Nights
Chinatown
The Killing Fields
The Godfather (1 only)
The Thing (1982)
Out of Sight

...& 100s of others I can't think of? Oh, sorry, I forgot that this is the new 'warm fuzzy' Hollywood where we don't have to think about finales in terms of aesthetic relevancy!

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Tommy reread the question - it asked for the greatest not the most original.

I feel a new number 1 choice will be coming up this December.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Chill out, Tommy - of course it's a popularity contest, it's a random poll conducted by Diet Coke! You can't expect the opinions of 1000 "men in the street" to be as informed as a group of more film-literate folks like the posters here.

I don't see why people get so bent out of shape about these things...

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
My gut reaction was to think how undeserving Titanic is of even being on this list, much list at #1. But then I remembered when I watched Titanic and when it ended I was so ecstatic that the damned movie was finally over and I could get away from all the 12 year girls packed into the theater wooing over Leo, that maybe it does deserve best ending of all time.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Undeserving because you hated it George, not because it's generally perceived as one of the great cinema turkeys. Titanic won 11 Oscars, and the reviews were generally good, yes? For sheer spectacle Titanic is hard to match, the last 90 mins were pretty spectacular. And it's still the most popular film of all time, $1.8billion worldwide gross (unadjusted for inflation). It's not in my top 100 favorite films, but it has it's place in my dvd collection.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
The reviews weren't "generally" good, they were incredible. 4 stars and high marks abounded, with plenty of comparisons to GWTW. You should have seen it earlier George, when it was all Cameron fans and film buffs.

Not original, but certainly one of the most emotional. Whether or not the film lovers thought it worthy, the average public rang it up to the tune of 1.8 B.

The poll is worthless, but even a broken clock can be right twice a day. It's my favorite film ending.

Take care,
Chuck

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
The best ending is probably of Hollywood Homicide. I was very glad at the end............that it ended!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks