What's new

Clive Cussler's 'Dirk Pitt' (1 Viewer)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Raiding the family library again when I visit this weekend. My father gave me a list of his Dirk Pitt novels. So again I'll ask HTF which ones I should read and is there any order?

He has

Atlantis Found
Flood Tide
Shock Wave
Inca Gold
Sahara
Dragon
Treasure
Cyclops
Deep Six
Raise the Titantic
Valhalla Rising

Where to start?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
"Treasure!" is the best; "Raise The Titanic" and "Vortex!" (I think) can each make claims toward being the first.

But don't worry about continuity, as Cussler doesn't. :)

I've read them all but don't remember them all. Like what was said before, they are not in any order....so just pick one up and read it. I really enjoyed Sahara myself.

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
I recently completed "Treasure" and can recommend it.
I haven't read the others, but may do so in the future.

Bill Harada

Stunt Coordinator
Well, Cussler does often insert references to past adventures in his novels, but only in passing and never in any way that affects the plot. I've read all of them and while some are more far-fetched than others, they're all enjoyable. If you have the time I'd start from the oldest and work my way forward, if only to get the early character development of the cast.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
"Treasure!" is the best; "Raise The Titanic" and "Vortex!" (I think) can each make claims toward being the first.
Amen to that. I would say Vixen 03 is definitely a runner-up. Most public libraries have most (if not all) of his earlier works, so no need to shell out if you get hooked. I think "Night Probe" is one of the few that I have left to read.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Since they're all the same story they blur together to me ;) but I recall "Inca Gold" and "Sahara" being particularly fun. "Valhalla Rising" is the most recent and will likely have the order of the previous books in an inside cover.

If you find the order, I suggest starting at the beginning and reading in order.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Hey I'm not the only Dirk Pitt fan here, great!:emoji_thumbsup:
One thing that Cussler started doing about the halfway mark was insert himself into the story, like a Hitchcock cameo, you know he'd pop up midway thru the story and help Dirk Pitt with something than Pitt would say something like "btw whats your name?", "Oh its Cussler, Clive Cussler". A bit silly but he's the boss.:)

My favorites were prob the middle bunch, Treasure, Dragon, Sahara, Inca Gold, his fattest books, all very readable!

Only one of his books has been made into a film so far, Raise the Titanic, which was the biggest flop ever at the time, Dirk Pitt was played by the late Richard Jordan.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
From my book files I had this list of Clive Cussler Dirk Pitt novels with dates, Mayday was the first in the series, there is a new one coming out soon Trojan Odyssey.

1973-Dirk Pitt 01 - Mayday
1975-Dirk Pitt 02 - Iceberg
1976-Dirk Pitt 03 - Raise the Titanic
1978-Dirk Pitt 04 - Vixen 03
1981-Dirk Pitt 05 - Night Probe
1983-Dirk Pitt 06 - Pacific Vortex
1984-Dirk Pitt 07 - Deep Six
1986-Dirk Pitt 08 - Cyclops
1988-Dirk Pitt 09 - Treasure
1990-Dirk Pitt 10 - Dragon
1992-Dirk Pitt 11 - Sahara
1994-Dirk Pitt 12 - Inca Gold
1996-Dirk Pitt 13 - Shock Wave
1997-Dirk Pitt 14 - Flood Tide
2000-Dirk Pitt 15 - Atlantis Found
2001-Dirk Pitt 16 - Valhalla Rising

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I havent't read all of them yet, but as others have noted, I'd read them in publication order, since they run chronologically anyway, and there's the odd passing reference to past adventures.

Having said that, there's no huge continuity issue, otherwise after Night Probe (I think), there'd only be a "United States of Canada", no separate USA nor Canada...

which I think a fair number of HTFers might have something to say about... :D

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Man... I haven't read any Cussler/Pitt novels in a while. Love them! Last one I read was "Inca Gold". Looks like I need to catch up! :D

I heartily recommend "Raise the Titanic". While it was written before the Big-T was re-discovered, it's still a great read. :D (The movie, on the other hand, sucked rancid goat.)

Like everyone has said... continuity isn't a HUGE deal with these.. but if you want to go chronologically with your collection, start with Raise the Titanic. ;) Enjoy!!

Paul Bond

Stunt Coordinator
If aging memory serves correctly, Pacific Vortex, although 6th or so released is actually his first Dirk Pitt novel, if not first, period. I recall he had a preface explaining how it was his first and not as polished as later works but that friends (and publisher, I'm sure) felt it should be released as well.

Other than that, each one pretty much stands on its own. There are occasional references to previous exploits ("Oh you are the one who raised the Titanic"), but nothing that would spoil train of thought is read out of order.

My 3 cents worth.

Paul

Ryan_C

Second Unit
He's probably my favorite author, his book are always a fun ride, and they usually get read in a day or so at my place. The last Pitt book does have quite a big spoiler at the end about a previous book:

a former love from an earlier book has died and sent her and Pitt's kids to him.

I think this is Valhalla Rising, but be sure to read this one last.

John Gates

Second Unit
Sahara was just released to film. I have not seen it, but I heard it is another disappointing Cussler adaptation, and the characters will disappoint honest Dirk Pitt fans.

Anyone here seen Sahara?

I hope someone does something good with Dirk Pitt on screen someday.

If you were directing, which actor would you cast as Dirk Pitt?

I think a craggy and resourceful Mel Gibson would be fantastic as Pitt.

John

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
John, believe it or not the HTF has a Movies Area where they've been analysing, dissecting and reviewing Sahara the past week or so, check it out dude, the Software area is great too.;)

As for playing Dirk Pitt, McConaughey seems to have done a good job of it from the reviews I've seen.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
"Valhalla Rising" is the most recent
I'm confused. I have never read any of the Dirk Pitt novels but my father and uncle both read them, so I have a passing familiarity with them. Does the book, Black Wind not count as the latest Dirk Pitt novel?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I've enjoyed the earlier Pitt novels, but the last two or three weren't very good. Cussler seems to have gotten lazy with his writing. They read like the equivalent of a brainless summer popcorn movie, almost as if churned out by a typical screenwriter.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
As of this posting, Black Wind is the latest Clive Cussler / Drik Pitt novel. If this is an older book to you, then you are a visitor from the future. Please note the date to the left of this post alleviate your confusion.

:)

For anyone reading Clive Cussler for the first time, start with the older books -- his last two or three have not been very good. Valhalla Rising and Black Wind in particular have disappointed me. I think Clive has run out of stories and his son doesn't have the same spark as an author.

I particularly disappointed that a storyline from Floodtide (I think) wasn't followed. At the end of that book, it seemed as if a major conflict was being set up with a conclusion to the Pitt stories to follow. However, it was just dropped and forgotten. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks