-

Photo

More Miyazaki DVDs coming in 2004

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
94 replies to this topic

#1 of 95 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted October 15 2003 - 01:58 AM

As per The Bits' Rumor Mill:

Quote:
According to Nausicaa.net, Buena Vista has revealed the U.K. DVD release dates for the following Studio Ghibli titles:

April 2004 - Porco Rosso (Miyazaki), Whisper of the Heart (Screenplay by Miyazaki)

September 2004 - Only Yesterday (Isao Takahata), Pom Poko (Isao Takahata)

November 2004 - Nausicaa Valley of the Wind (Miyazaki), My Neighbour Totoro (Miyazaki)

It stands to reason that the U.S. will see a similar schedule, especially since Porco and Whisper are confirmed to have been dubbed already, Porco having a premiere at the Austin film fest on Tuesday. Since Howl's Moving Castle, Miyazaki's new film, will supposedly be released in fall 2004 in the U.S. only months after its July Japanese premiere, his two most popular films would make a good pairing to help promote that. Those with region free DVD players can take advantage of the entire Ghibli library on DVD in R2 and R3, all titles featuring English subs and, in some cases, English dubs.

Films still orphaned without U.S. release dates include My Neighbors the Yamadas (Takahata), I Can Hear the Sea (Ocean Waves) and The Cat Returns (a pseudo-sequel to Whisper of the Heart).

#2 of 95 OFFLINE   Richard Kim

Richard Kim

Producer

• 4,389 posts

Posted October 15 2003 - 02:39 AM

BTW, here's the English dub cast of Porco Rosso:

Michael Keaton (Batman, Beetlejuice) as Porco Rosso
Cary Elwes (The Princess Bride, Comic Book Villains) as Donald Curtis
Kimberly Williams-Paisley (According to Jim TV series) as Fio
Susan Egan (Spirited Away & Howl's Moving Castle voices) as Gina

Here's the link:

http://animenation.n...dex.php?id=5462

#3 of 95 OFFLINE   Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted October 15 2003 - 02:42 AM

Good news. I have been enjoying his movies of late--first SPIRITED AWAY and then PRINCESS MONONOKE. I rate SPIRITED AWAY slightly above PRINCESS MONONOKE, but enjoyed them both tremendously.

#4 of 95 OFFLINE   Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter

• 1,712 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted October 15 2003 - 03:23 AM

Good news. Hopefully R1 dates will be similar. What I would like to know, is when is My Neigbor Totoro coming out?

#5 of 95 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted October 15 2003 - 03:28 AM

Quote:
What I would like to know, is when is My Neigbor Totoro coming out?

Technically, it is out, albit in dub only P&S. Disney can't do anything until Fox's rights run out, which shouldn't be too much longer...

Some more news off of Anime On DVD:

Quote:
"The premiere was attended by Cindy and Donald Hewitt, the english language adapators for Porco Rosso as well as Spirited Away. They talked about the process that they go through in translation and how they only had like a week and a half to translate Porco. But you all want to hear about whats next right? Well work is currently proceeding with Nausicaa, with actors currently recording. Those include Patrick Stewart, Uma Thurman, and Natalie Portman. The translation for Whisper of the Heart is done but there is some sort of problem with the song.(They didn't go into it.) So most likely the next movie out after Nausicaa will probably be Pom Poko. Oh, and the DVD for Porco should be out sometime in April. Last, to break all your hearts they said that this will most likely be the only theatrical showing of Porco. "

Jason

#6 of 95 OFFLINE   Sergio Martorel

Sergio Martorel

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted October 15 2003 - 03:33 AM

Posted Image
Quote:
Posted ImageApril 2004 - Porco Rosso
Posted Image

#7 of 95 OFFLINE   JohnDMoore

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator

• 192 posts

Posted October 15 2003 - 06:34 AM

A little later than I'd hoped, but still absolutely AWESOME news. I've only seen two of the four (Proco Rosso, Nausicaa), but I'll be sure to buy all these.
So far, Disney has really impressed me with their treatment of Ghibli's work.
-John D. Moore

#8 of 95 OFFLINE   Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted October 15 2003 - 07:14 AM

Meh, I can't wait that long for the Nausicaa... I'll just get the R3 Posted Image

#9 of 95 OFFLINE   Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter

• 1,712 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted January 27 2004 - 01:08 PM

Has anyone heard any updates on these?

#10 of 95 OFFLINE   Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted January 27 2004 - 01:18 PM

I ended up getting the Limited Edition R2 of Nausicaa... it's great! Posted Image

No new news on the R1 DVDs though, I expect them late 2004.

#11 of 95 OFFLINE   Francois Caron

Francois Caron

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts

Posted January 27 2004 - 02:09 PM

Isn't Pom Poko the series where the animals use their testicles in highly creative ways? Posted Image

#12 of 95 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,583 posts

Posted January 27 2004 - 02:26 PM

Yes, which is why I'm a little surprised that Disney is going to release it. I really didn't think they would release this film because of the testicle jokes. I'm glad that they are releasing it, because it is a pretty good film.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#13 of 95 OFFLINE   JohnDMoore

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator

• 192 posts

Posted March 20 2004 - 05:23 AM

Nausicaa.net reported yesterday that an August 31 release date is listed at FYE.com and Suncoast.com for Totoro, Nausicaa, and Porco Rosso.
http://www.nausicaa.....9727457,61646,

Good news! Hope we can get them this soon. I've seen Porco and Nausicaa and they're both brilliant.
-John D. Moore

#14 of 95 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted March 23 2004 - 02:26 AM

Yes! Confirmed by the Bits today!

Quote:
In other news, not a day after we posted word of this in The Rumor Mill, we've gotten official confirmation from Buena Vista that Wave 2 of the Miyazaki Collection will street on August 31st. Miyazaki's Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind, Porco Rosso and My Neighbor Totoro will be released as 2-disc special editions (SRP $29.99 each). All three titles will feature newly produced English language voice tracks as well as the original Japanese audio. Also included will be complete storyboards, behind-the-scenes featurettes and more. All three films will be presented in anamorphic widescreen (1.85:1 aspect ratio). My Neighbor Totoro and Porco Rosso will feature Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, while Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind will be mono.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Complete press release here: http://www.animatedb...ews.asp?TID=676

P.S.: I know it's way early, but I wonder what we can expect for Wave 3? Howl's Moving Castle should be out this fall, right? So a next summer DVD release would be appropriate. Let's see what others there are left... Princess Mononoke is the only other Miyazaki-directed feature that can be added, and as a third title perhaps one of the films from my first post of this thread, Whisper of the Heart perhaps...

#15 of 95 OFFLINE   DonRoeber

DonRoeber

Screenwriter

• 1,851 posts

Posted March 23 2004 - 02:42 AM

I couldn't be happier. I haven't seen any of these films, but I've loved every Miyazaki film I've seen, so I'll be happy to buy these blind.
Luckily, right at that moment, an unconscious Argentinean fell through my roof.

He was quickly joined by a dwarf dressed as a nun.

#16 of 95 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted March 23 2004 - 04:56 AM

And these are a good set to buy blind, since they are some of the best the director has to offer...

Jason

#17 of 95 OFFLINE   Brendon

Brendon

Second Unit

• 259 posts

Posted March 23 2004 - 05:03 AM

Quote:
I've loved every Miyazaki film I've seen, so I'll be happy to buy these blind.

You can do so with the utmost confidence. I've plumped for buying Totoro, Porco Rosso and Nausicaa on R3 blind and all three are excellent.

Totoro is in serious contention with Spirited as my favourite Miyazaki and both are in my top 10 of all time. To quote Roger Ebert "Whenever I watch it, I smile, and smile, and smile."

Can anyone suggest which of the none Miyazaki Studio Ghibli films I should get next ?

Brendon

#18 of 95 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted March 23 2004 - 05:21 AM

Quote:
Can anyone suggest which of the none Miyazaki Studio Ghibli films I should get next ?

Well, "Grave Of The Fireflies" should be a requirement to watch, tho after watching it, you may not have the strength to watch it again. It is pretty emotional.

I personally like "Whisper Of The Heart", which was written by Miyazaki, but directed by Kondo, who passed away during production of Princess Mononoke. It is quite cute.

I also like "Pom Poko", which is Takahata being a little more light hearted with another serious subject.

Jason

#19 of 95 OFFLINE   JohnDMoore

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator

• 192 posts

Posted March 23 2004 - 03:39 PM

Porco Rosso is amazing, though I think "Castle in the Sky" is my favorite Miyazaki. "Grave of the Fireflies" being one of my favorite films of all time. I can't wait for these three new releases (another Miyazaki day!)
I also just picked up this Geneon title called "Panda Go Panda" directed by Takahata and written by Miyazaki. '72, I think. Though not as complex as their later work, it had a lot of the same warmth and was really cute, though decidedly aimed at a younger crowd.
Two question
Would Disney have the rights to "On Your Mark," the 6 minute short film/music video from 1995 that Miyazaki wrote/directed and therefore be a possibility on a future release?
And any chance of seeing Takahata's "Anne of Green Gables" on R1 DVD any time? Is that Ghibli? Who owns it?
Thanks!
-John D. Moore

#20 of 95 OFFLINE   Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted March 23 2004 - 03:44 PM

The only reason I would buy Nausicaa would be if they translated the commentary by Hideaki Anno that is on the R2 disc (most likely, it will just be dropped [since it is in Japanese Posted Image])

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow