Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Need CGI-free film recommendations

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 of 82 OFFLINE   David Baranyi

David Baranyi

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 02:48 PM

Note: this a thread for your recommendations, not a place to discuss about CGI-free films. I have some friends, who are quite traditionalists and refuse to watch films that contains any 3D CGI animation. I could not recommend to them any decent films, so can anyone help me? I would like to mention that they what an exceptional DVD transfer, not a second-rate job. Remember, no campy, no sentimental, and no melodramatic films please. My friends greatly despise films with such themes. Update: Several minutes ago, I spoke to my friends on how they are restricting their viewing choices and had decided to drop "any CGI animation." What they really object is the use of 3D CGI animation. They would not mind 2D CGI, as long as it is decent and is irrelevant to the film.

#2 of 82 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,494 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted October 14 2003 - 02:56 PM

Lawrence of Arabia: Superbit.

#3 of 82 OFFLINE   BobG

BobG

Stunt Coordinator

• 60 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 03:04 PM

How about any movie made before 1990?

#4 of 82 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 03:26 PM

There are thousands of great films with no CGI, but I get a feeling that your friends wouldn't be interested in most of them. However, in case I'm wrong, here's ten films with no CGI that (IMO anyway) are not campy, sentimental or overly melodramatic Rear Window The Godfather Raiders of the Lost Ark Chinatown Vertigo Planes, Trains & Automobiles Jaws The Sting Double Indemnity A Hard Day's Night
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#5 of 82 OFFLINE   MartinTeller

MartinTeller

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 03:36 PM

Chinatown and Vertigo might be considered melodramatic. David: you have very strange and rigid friends.

#6 of 82 OFFLINE   Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

• 1,711 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 04:11 PM

You might try the upcoming League of Extraordinary Gentlemen DVD. Saw it in theaters and didn't notice any CGI at all.

#7 of 82 OFFLINE   MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,034 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 04:36 PM

I agree with the unusual nature of your friends.

[quote] You might try the upcoming League of Extraordinary Gentlemen DVD. Saw it in theaters and didn't notice any CGI at all. [quote] Are you serious? I hope not. Dorian Gray's disappearing bulletholes? The Nautilus? The Invisible Man? Mina Harker turning into a swarm of bats? (Or was that just in the trailer?)

In any case, there are better movies. League was watchable, but I don't know I'd recommend it.

#8 of 82 OFFLINE   Richard Kim

Richard Kim

Producer

• 4,389 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 04:42 PM

[quote] How about any movie made before 1990? [quote]
Well, there is The Abyss.

#9 of 82 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 04:46 PM

And Tron.
My Collection

#10 of 82 OFFLINE   Dan M

Dan M

Second Unit

• 327 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 04:54 PM

If I'm not mistaken, BRAM STOKERS DRACULA is cgi free Excellent effects in that movie

#11 of 82 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 05:04 PM

[quote] Raiders of the Lost Ark [quote] What about all those ghosts and stuff near the end?

How about Traffic?

#12 of 82 OFFLINE   Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 05:51 PM

Attack of the Clones and The Matrix are both fine choices.
Man, an hour wasted on this sig! Thanks, Toshiba! :P

#13 of 82 OFFLINE   Sergio Martorel

Sergio Martorel

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 06:07 PM

[quote] Remember, no campy, no sentimental, any no melodramatic films please. My friends greatly despise films with such themes. [quote]

The original KING KONG.
Trainspotting.

#14 of 82 OFFLINE   Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor

• 953 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 06:40 PM

Jackie Brown (Or any QT directed movie they haven't seen for that matter) As Good as it Gets The Royal Tenenbaums Out of Sight
Danny Federici, we'll meet you in the land of hope and dreams

#15 of 82 OFFLINE   Nick Senger

Nick Senger

Stunt Coordinator

• 192 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 06:48 PM

Some of these may be sentimental or melodramatic, depending on your taste, but here goes anyway: Almost Famous Back to the Future Bang the Drum Slowly The Bear The Blues Brothers Brazil Dark City Eight Men Out The Fisher King The Godfather Henry V (Kenneth Branagh version) Little Shop of Horrors (Rick Moranis version) The Magnificent Seven The Natural Silverado This is Spinal Tap 2001: A Space Odyssey

#16 of 82 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 11:29 PM

Yeah, I know, but then again, almost any film that's not completely light comedy throughout might be. Still I think there's a huge difference between melodrama, which is basically overemotional soap operas (e.g., Cries & Whispers, All About Eve, Wuthering Heights, Raisin in the Sun) and drama (e.g., Casablanca, Citizen Kane, Lifeboat, The Godfather), but I realize opinions will differ on that. Even though I don't consider them to be sentimental or melodramatic, I still left off films that other might, such as The Apartment Casablanca Citizen Kane Similarly, one man's funny comedy, can be another's campy film. So even though I don't consider them campy, I also left off films that I suppose some others might, such as: Planes, Trains & Automobiles Young Frankenstein Dr. Strangelove
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#17 of 82 OFFLINE   Fredric

Fredric

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted October 15 2003 - 01:22 AM

Ronin
Fredric
The Frankenheimer Group
http://groups.yahoo..../frankenheimer/

#18 of 82 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted October 15 2003 - 01:50 AM

Sunrise.

Also, stay away from The Last Starfighter. Posted Image
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#19 of 82 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted October 15 2003 - 02:01 AM

David: I don't see why your friends would be so rigid on CGI. I mean, it's their choice, but they're using (IMO) a stupid criteria for choosing movies. As far as I know, most big-budget films made in the last 10 years or so has had some sort of CGI work done. It may just be to enhance explosions or erase an extra in the background, but CGI is used to correct mistakes and such in a lot of films.

Noticeable CGI is one thing, but the true genius is when you can't even notice it's there. Or when it makes the film even better (see the hallucinations in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas). That being said, I'd choose either earlier movies, or independent films. Maybe Leon: The Professional, Office Space, or Shawshank Redemption, to name a couple from my list.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#20 of 82 OFFLINE   Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor

• 902 posts

Posted October 15 2003 - 02:05 AM

I'm sorry, but that's about the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. That's like saying "Ooh, I don't want to listen to that band, I heard they use the guitar!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users