What's new

Salvador Dali/Disney short coming to DVD! (1 Viewer)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
http://www.npr.org/display_pages/fea...e_1462300.html

In 1946, Salvador Dali and Walt Disney planned a cartoon together. But the short subject Destino was left unfinished after Disney and its partner, RKO, decided it probably wouldn't make any money.

But as David D'Arcy reports, Walt Disney regretted the decision. And Disney's nephew Roy Disney, who now heads the company's animation division, decided to revive the project.

Destino is a six-minute film set to a Spanish song, devoid of dialogue and without a clear story line. It follows a dark-eyed ballerina on a journey among strange objects through a desert landscape in a dreamlike atmosphere.

A completed version will appear at festivals around the world before Oscar-nomination time, and Disney plans to release it next year on a DVD with a documentary that tells the whole story.
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: Hopefully this is part of a rumored "Compilation" Treasures set, with random shorts that don't fit anywhere.

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
I can't wait for this!

Have you heard any more rumors about this "compilation" treasures set and what it may include, or for that matter any other treasures set that may be in the works?

I'd love to see Disney pull out some True Life Adventures, Zorro, People and Places, Song of the South, Mickey Mouse Club, Swamp Fox and put them in these wonderful little tins!

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Great.

About two seconds of this short was actually animated before it was abandoned. I saw the two seconds of original animation theatrically last year, as part of an Unseen Disney show presented by Scott McQueen. Great show, a lot of good stuff seen, but the Dali animation was the most memorable. Think a moving Dali painting. Quite unlike any animation I have ever seen.

I was excited (and surprised) to learn that this short was completed. I am looking forward to seeing it - if not theatrically, at least on DVD. Should be good.

Eric Zoink

Auditioning
I'd love to see the silent Black and White Alice shorts!
And also vol 2 of Mickey B&W uncut of course.
After the wartime set, those would be my dream sets.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
What's funny is that a friend of mine with close ties to the House of Mouse tells me that the Dali cartoon wasn't revived because of a desire to make art. The truth is that the original contract with Disney stipulated that if the film was not completed before a certain date that the original work that Dali submitted to the project would revert to the ownership of his estate. They did it for financial reasons. Still and all, I hope that the film turns out well despite its quick and dirty production.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I'm a huge Dali fan (I have this 800-page hardcover album of most of his artwork) and this is indeed a dream come true.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
If anyone wants to see it on the big screen, it is being shown with Barbarian Invasions at the New York Film Festival this weekend.

Ted

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
If I'm not mistaken, this was originally proposed as a part of the ongoing "Fantasia" programme; at least, that's what we're led to believe by the supplemental materials for the Fantasia Anthology and Bette Midler's intro of the Steadfast Tin Soldier in Fantasia 2000.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Any word on what else could be in a "compilation tressures Set"? I'd probably crap if this ever came out, as I'm yet to be disappointed by any of the treasures.

I'm sure we'll see a True Life Adventures set in the next wave, as it was rumored for wave 2, along with the war time set and Captain Syn, and gaps in the numbering would indicate that they were in production.

Anyword on how they finished the animation? It would be a shame if it had original hand animation that then blended into computer stuff. Nothing beats the old trad ways that Disney did animation, Sleeping Beauty shows that in spades!
Computer stuff is fine, it just doesn't blend well (to my eyes).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks