What's new

Who's Got Rocket RS750 (1 Viewer)

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Steve,
Can you characterize them to other speakers you have heard? And did you hear the new version with the new crossover, or the older version?

thanks,

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Allen,

I've heard and own a pair of 750's (classic version). I think they are fantastic speakers. They are slightly rolled off at the top, other than that I consider them to be a neutral speaker. I know that's a bit of an oxymoron but after a lot of listening that's what I think. They are a very well balanced speaker. You can listen to them for hours on end and I've heard details in them that I've never heard in my Maggies (to be fair, they're a much older model).

When I first listened to them I thought they could use just a tad more energy at the top. On the other hand I've really grown to appreciate the sound the classics present. Out of curiosity, I would like to audition the sig version. Whether I would prefer them now or not...?

I haven't done any direct A/B comparisons with other speakers. Other speakers I auditioned before purchasing mine include Paradigm Monitor 7 & 9, Studio 60 & 100; Vandersteen Model 2Ce; B&W 603 & 604, N804; Thiel 1.6; Polk Lsi 9 & 15; M&K 150; Boston Acoustics; and Snell. I don't remember the BA or Snell models.

All in all, I prefer the 750s to all of them. I think all of the other speakers are good, particularly the N804s and Thiels but I also found them to be very picky when it comes to system matching. For my system, they were way too bright and fatiguing. It really comes down to the sonic signature you're looking for.

If you haven't heard them yet, give them a try. I know there are a couple owners in your area who regularly host auditions and would be more than happy to have you over.

Alex

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I will second what Alex said. Also take into consideration your budjet. If you have 5K to spend on speakers you could find better. If your in the 1.5-3K range they rule in both sound and build quality. You can do a search here and other places for comments. PM me if you want the site info...

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I don’t own 750s but I’ve listened to them. I would second Alex’s comments. If you have listened to Sonus Faber speakers, you will have an overall idea of their sound (imo, of course).

I have not listened to the 750s with the new crossover, that provides just a bit more treble energy, so I cannot comment on the differences between them and the older versions. I have however, listened to the 550, 200 and 250 models, all of which don’t have the classic 750 roll-off and none of which would I consider ‘bright’.

The 200 in particular is an outstanding center speaker.

Arthur Vino

Stunt Coordinator
I got 750s and I can highly recommend them... They like power, if u give them plenty of juice, they'll perform beautifully..

BobAlbano

Second Unit
Hey Allen, I'm in Naperville and I have a pair of the "Sig" 750's as well as the "Classic" 750's that I have access too. Let me know if you would like to give them an audition. :cool:

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Bob,

A bit off topic, but is Naperville where the pizza place is that used to be a firehouse? Serve hot, fresh chocolate chip cookies for dessert? UMMMM....:D

BobAlbano

Second Unit
It's sure is Brian!! Lou Malnatti's Pizza is some of the best that Chicago has to offer! If you would like I can order up some this week and let you know how good it is!:D

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Bob,

I was in Lyle about 5 years ago at BellCore and our instructor took us all there for lunch the last day! Damn that was some good pizza.

IIRC, there is also a quick shot inside there in Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Wonder if they'll ship some to Atlanta? :)

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Rick Ewing

Agent
I have the "classic" 750s (4 of 'em, front and rear) and I've been operating without a subwoofer for the first nine months of ownership (I only recently took delivery of a Rocket UFW-10 sub). One of the 750s best features is its ability to properly express midbass with authority. The specs are that this speaker goes down to 38 hz and my measurements and experience tells me that not only is that truthful, but you get every last bit of that midbass before it rolls off. Considering the completely unorthodox crossover and small driver array, you wouldn't think that this speaker is capable of what it does, but it consistently delivers. Everyday I say to myself that this is one of the best home theater purchases I ever made.

The new sub is giving me another 15 hz I didn't have before, but just makes me appreciate how much sound i was getting out of the 750s in the first place.

I would also agree on the Sonus Faber comparison (especially the Grand Piano line). And that's nice company to be in.

BobAlbano

Second Unit
Allen, as Rick said, the 750's definitely can bring the thunder! I have someone coming by to listen tomorrow afternoon if you would like to hear them. Let me know. :cool:

Joe Spratley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
test
BobAlbano, I'm in Bolingbrook and might be interested in hearing them sometime. I'm trying to restrain myself though because I don't want to spend the money right now. I bought the DCM setup that was reviewed in the July issue of Sound and Vision but I'm already itching to upgrade especially after hearing all the positive reviews and adding a SACD DVD Audio player.

BobAlbano

Second Unit
No problem Joe! Let me know when you want to hear them and I will try to accomodate you. Shoot me an email at [email protected] and we can try to set up a time for you to hear the Rockets. :cool:

Jack Leslie

Auditioning
I've had a set for about 10 months now. Actually part of a group, with the 200 center, 300 sides and 250's rear.

As others have mentioned, I think they are a neutral speaker and a very good deal for the price range. I would recommend them.

I now have the package with an SVS PB2-ISD and find that it is a very good merge of the two companies products.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks