-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Neverending Stor review! Short and sweet!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 Sean Moon

Sean Moon

Screenwriter

• 2,045 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 02:55 PM

I posted this in another forum, but here is the body of the text I posted. This is just FYI for those still worried about this wonderful looking discAtreyu's horse still gets pulled into the swamp...so rest easy.
The transfer on this disc is awesome. For a movie this old this is stunning work. Beautiful cinematography, great movie, and WIDESCREEN to boot!!!
Sound was okay...just Dolby 2.0. Nothing too flashy, but good nonetheless. Extras a very lacking, as this film just begs for a special edition. Guess they could only fit so much on a single layer so they could put the pan and scan shit on the other side.
Overall a very beautiful DVD, and a must buy for a great family film. Sorry I dont have another transfer to compare it to, as it has been about ten years since I have seen the film, was too caught up in the movie to really nitpick the transfer. Even though some grain and scratches were apparent, mainly on matte effect shots.
I would give the picture quality on this a 4 out of 5. Great to look at, but nothing so stunning as to drool over.

------------------
Posted Image

http://doctordoom.blogspot.com

We must stand in awe of the infinite capacity of the human mind to reject the introduction of useful knowledge.

#2 of 16 Michael Ballack

Michael Ballack

Second Unit

• 349 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 03:03 PM

Did I miss something? There was a rumor about Warner censoring the horse drowning scene? Could you please explain. Thanks. What in the hell is with Warner lately? Not only were they considering releasing Neverending Story in Pan and Scan only, but they were going to self censor? Jeessshhhh!!!!

------------------
Michael's DVD's
Michael's DVD's

#3 of 16 Sean Moon

Sean Moon

Screenwriter

• 2,045 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 03:09 PM

It had been more than ten years since I had seen the film since before I watched the DVD last night, so I dont remember much. The horse scene didnt seem censored to me...hopefully a Neverending Story fanatic can see the dsic and enlighten us all.
And pan and scan is on the disc. It is a flipper. OAR is on the other.

------------------
Posted Image

We must stand in awe of the infinite capacity of the human mind to reject the introduction of useful knowledge.

#4 of 16 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,032 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 04:27 PM

Any supplements at all? A trailer?

#5 of 16 Sean Moon

Sean Moon

Screenwriter

• 2,045 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 04:29 PM

Cast and Crew, text screens describing the characters and effects, and a trailer....that is it.

Unless the fact that WB put a Widescreen version in there is an extra feature?

------------------
Posted Image

#6 of 16 Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter

• 1,117 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 07:12 PM

Quote:
Unless the fact that WB put a Widescreen version in there is an extra feature?

My, how considerate of them! Posted Image

------------------
-J.Fo
"And you can tell Rolling Stone magazine that my last words were... 'I'm on drugs!'"
-J.Fo

#7 of 16 Tom Landers

Tom Landers

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted August 30 2001 - 12:53 AM

Release Date?

or is it allready out?
"We THOUGHT you was a Toad!"

#8 of 16 Steve Conrad

Steve Conrad

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted August 30 2001 - 12:57 AM

Tom, Next Tuesday.

-con

(wow, that was my first post in 8582 years.)

#9 of 16 Tom Landers

Tom Landers

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted August 30 2001 - 12:58 AM

Thanks for breaking your silence Steve.
much appriciated.
"We THOUGHT you was a Toad!"

#10 of 16 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,032 posts

Posted August 30 2001 - 06:17 AM

This is excellent, excellent news. "The Neverending Story" is one of those films that I've been waiting for since I got my DVD player in '97, and now that it's finally here, I could not be more happy. I'll finally be able to see a proper version of one of my favorite films for the first time. I could not care less about a 5.1 remix, and the lack of extras doesn't take away from my enjoyment of the film. Since we finally know that the disc is in the proper widescreen aspect ratio, I'm ecstatic! I can't wait for next Tuesday.

On a related subject, how did this rumor of the removal of Artax (Atreyu's horse)'s death come about? The first I heard of it was a brief mention by another forum member who said he'd heard such a rumor. Has anyone heard it from anywhere else? It doesn't seem like the sort of thing Warner would do, anyway. Yeah, they've released new edits of films like "Superman" and "The Exorcist," but they've never gone back to a film and snuck in a snip or two for "politically correct" reasons like Disney tends to do.

#11 of 16 Derek Duncan

Derek Duncan

Stunt Coordinator

• 129 posts

Posted August 30 2001 - 06:37 AM

Can someone please post pics of the back cover, or the inside cover, I would really like to see, it is killing me, This is my favorite movie, or does anyone know an online store that has any pics besides the front cover, and if any of you have that have it, can't post it, would you please send pics to my e-mail address at DerekDuncan82@yahoo.com. It would be most helpfull.

Derek

#12 of 16 Antonio_M

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted August 30 2001 - 06:56 AM

Derek

Patience is the key! Posted Image

I am so excited as well. I know my title gets shipped tomorrow from dvdempire.com!

[Edited last by Antonio_M on August 30, 2001 at 02:48 PM]

#13 of 16 Antonio_M

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted August 31 2001 - 09:02 AM

Derek Duncan

The covers are up at dvdempire.com. Posted Image

(dvdempire is flawless in processing, they shipped my NES today! OH MAN! Can't wait!)

#14 of 16 Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

• 1,516 posts

Posted August 31 2001 - 09:35 AM

DVDEmpire also shipped my neverending story today! they simply are the best in the business. I used priority mail so i may get lucky and get this in saturdays mail.

#15 of 16 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted August 31 2001 - 12:19 PM

Quote:
(dvdempire is flawless in processing, they shipped my NES today! OH MAN! Can't wait!)

Wow! Cool! Hey, now you can play Super Mario Bros. 3! While you're at it, I can highly recommend this new game called "Tetris", but be sure to get the 2-player version from Tengen! The one in the gold box! It's just like the coin-op version! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

------------------

DAVE/Memphis

Widescreen is Family Fun!
Posted Image
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#16 of 16 Antonio_M

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted August 31 2001 - 01:17 PM

At first, I was like "What the heck is this guy talking about?!?"

Then I got it. Posted Image

Silly wabbit! Posted Image

P.S: That Superman pic cracks me up! So cool. Posted Image

Forum Nav Content I Follow