What's new

Los Angeles is on strike! (1 Viewer)

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
The majority of the grocery workers have been on strike for 3 days now, the MTA mechanics began their strike today so there's mostly no public transportation resulting in a huge increase in traffic. The beach officially went on strike, the ocean refuses to make waves and meet the sand. The air went on strike a long time ago... ok I'm being facetious but it seems like the whole city is shutting down!

The newest fashion statement is a picket sign. Everybody strike and join the fun!

This just might be my cue to leave this city.:angry:

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
The air went on strike a long time ago... ok I'm being facetious but it seems like the whole city is shutting down!
If anything is going on strike in L.A. it should be the air. Talk about abused and beaten, we get that crap blowing through our city also.

David Baranyi

Stunt Coordinator
Seth, yes Los Angeles does. It has a light rail and subway system. What I can say that when I used to live near the city, the subways stations and trains are much cleaner than what I saw in New York City and Philadelphia.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
"This just might be my cue to leave this city."

I moved back home to Wisconsin from Los Angeles about a month ago and I do miss it somewhat. I will still be flying back to L.A. multiple times a year because I have developed personal ties while there, however, I seriously doubt I would ever move back permanently. I will say that I miss the ocean, sunshine, and 97.1 the FM Talk Station!

Anyone else a Conway and Steckler fan?

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Yeah I think the grocery store strike is spreading, but here in L.A. it's worse because of the transit strike. I think this has all the ingrediants for another riot.

NicholasL

Second Unit
it's tough now cause people still need to get their groceries, and yet we don't want to cross the picket line because we all support their cause. and these protesters are hardcore too! I saw them standing outside Vons and Ralphs at 1am last night!

Now everybody has been raiding Gelson's and Trader Joe's and those places are gonna run outta food quick if this strike continues much longer.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Half a million people, most of them poor, are being left in the lurch by the MTA mechanics' union strike. This could be a disaster, with many of those dependent on public transportation unable to get to their places of work. While the strike may be an inconvenience for most Angelenos, it's an employment death knell for those least able to afford it. Very sad. And this is the third MTA work stoppage in only nine years.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
And just to add to the mess: 250 sheriffs called in sick today as part of the blue flu.

it's tough now cause people still need to get their groceries, and yet we don't want to cross the picket line
And if you don't want to cross the picket lines you probably have to drive farther to get to a non-striking grocery store so that means more cars on the road while there's also an MTA strike in place that also adds more traffic to the already congested streets and freeways.

What a combination: grocery clerk strike and MTA strike. Food and transportation, things people rely on the most.

Avoid L.A. at all costs, folks.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
Sometimes I find the drama of living in L.A. County to be draining. There's always some big hub-bub going on.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Sometimes I look around and see people with kids, raising families and such and wonder to myself why the hell they would want to raise a family in L.A. To paraphrase Steve Martin's character in Grand Canyon, there's so many ways to buy it in this town. I wouldn't want to raise any children here. It's simply not an environment I'd want my kids to grow up in. Very superficial, polluted, congested, and downright dangerous. The same could be said for a lot of cities but L.A. is the one I know of the most.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
To quote Butter's assistant... "Simpsons did it."

I'm with Jack... this strike only hurts the general public, and it's not helping anyone. I wonder why nobody has stepped in to stop this strike, for how it hurts the OC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks