-

Photo
- - - - -

Help me with a wedding gift for my soon wife

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 of 38 Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor

• 579 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 12:48 AM

Hello, all.

I'm getting married on the 25th of this month, and apparently need to buy my soon-to-be wife Doreen a wedding gift. I'm a terrible gift thinker-upper, and could use some ideas. Anyone? What did you buy?

Also- Don't forget about her on Sweetest Day, either. It's this Saturday...Posted Image

#2 of 38 Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 01:02 AM

Quote:
apparently need to buy my soon-to-be wife... a wedding gift.

Says who?

A ring, perhaps. A honeymoon, maybe. Gifts for the wedding party, if any.
No gift for the bride.

Jim

"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#3 of 38 JamieD

JamieD

Supporting Actor

• 557 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 01:42 AM

A Pre-nup. Posted Image
My Small (But Prized) DVD Collection!

"Actually, I am in really bad shape financially."

#4 of 38 dave_brogli

dave_brogli

Screenwriter

• 1,022 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 01:44 AM

While on your honeymoon is the best time to do it. Thats when I did. Dont give it to her at the reception.

Try and find a nice pair of earrings or a diamond bracelet that match the wedding ring pattern/shape. That would be nice.Posted Image Posted Image

You don't HAVE To. It's not a rule or anything but it IS nice to do. Don't buy her a blender though for Gods sake!

#5 of 38 DonRoeber

DonRoeber

Screenwriter

• 1,851 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 02:51 AM

I gave my bride a pair of earrings that matched her engagement ring. I gave them to her the night before the wedding, so that she could wear them with her gown.

She gave me a new watch to wear for the wedding. Since we both had already spent so much on the wedding, neither gift was over $250.

Congratulations on your wedding. I got married last month, on the 28th. It's been great so far! Have a lot of fun!
Luckily, right at that moment, an unconscious Argentinean fell through my roof.

He was quickly joined by a dwarf dressed as a nun.

#6 of 38 brentl

brentl

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 02:53 AM

A new DVD player!

#7 of 38 mark alan

mark alan

Supporting Actor

• 620 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 02:58 AM

Quote:
A new DVD player!

Forget that. Home Theater for the little lady!!!!

#8 of 38 Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 03:32 AM

No wonder my relationships don't last!
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#9 of 38 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 03:59 AM

Quote:
Don't forget about her on Sweetest Day, either. It's this Saturday
What's this Saturday? her Birthday?

If you want a gift, I'd suggest a great gift idea would be to have a mod delete and shred this thread Posted Image If she ever found out that you couldn't think of a gift on your own, it may be the kiss of death. Posted Image

Just kidding.

#10 of 38 brentl

brentl

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 04:12 AM

"it may be the kiss of death" if that's the case just get her an APEX or Clairtone DVD playerPosted Image

B

#11 of 38 bruce townley

bruce townley

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 04:26 AM

I bought my wife a bracelet for the wedding. Of those who ANSWEREDPosted Image it would appear that Jewelry is the predominate choice.

#12 of 38 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted October 14 2003 - 05:01 AM

Good Christ! Do spouses think they deserve gifts every day of the year now? This is really getting out of control.

I always thought the bride's gift was the wedding reception itself, how she gets to plan it and spend thousands of dollars on it. Posted Image

Don't forget about her on Sweetest Day, either. It's this Saturday
Another meaningless Hallmark holiday. See first paragraph, above. Posted Image x2
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#13 of 38 Jed M

Jed M

Screenwriter

• 2,030 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 05:06 AM

How is anyone going to know who is cheating anymore with everyone giving gifts all the time?

And I agree, jewelry is the only choice.
Long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be.
-R. Waters

#14 of 38 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 05:14 AM

Malcolm, that article was insane!
Quote:
Nowadays, many husbands are expected to buy expensive*presents to thank their wives for dealing with pregnancy and "pushing" through labor
Posted Image - I was at the dentist last week and I was talking to this woman. We both had back surgery and were comparing stories of pain. I had 3 epidural (sp?) shots when my back was screwed up and she said how she had the same. She then admitted (as many women have) that her back surgery was WORSE than any of her pregnancies. Posted Image

What did I get for the pain I went through? Jack! Pain is a part of life...So when the article says to thank your wife for "dealing" with the pregnancy, I say "Deal" with it, you're getting a child, that should be more than enough thanks. Posted Image

Ok, sorry about the rant...

I'm still waiting for Scott to answer my question about this Sat. This Sat. is the 18th and you're getting married on the 25th, so what is on the 18th that you have to buy a gift?

#15 of 38 Mike Wladyka

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor

• 630 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 05:35 AM

Quote:
so what is on the 18th that you have to buy a gift?

it is sweetest day, mark...it is the third saturday in october...it only seems to be phenomen a few places, like the midwest
Now they show you how detergents take out bloodstains, a pretty violent image there. I think if you've got a T-shirt with a bloodstain all over it, maybe laundry isn't your biggest problem. Maybe you should get rid of the body before you do the wash.

#16 of 38 Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor

• 986 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 05:48 AM

back on topic:
i bought my lovely wife diamond earrings. i figure you can't go wrong with a good traditional gift.

#17 of 38 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 05:57 AM

Quote:
it is sweetest day
Oh Man! That's it, I'm going to start a company that sells crap and create a holiday called "Buy your partner a gift day" and make it EVERY day of the year! Posted Image

I'll put out ads that say stuff like "If you don't get a gift every day, your sweety doesn't love you!" (Insert evil laugh) Posted Image

back to the topic:
If you want something truly special, find something that doesn't cost much but means a lot to her. Everyone thinks that expensive gifts are the way to show someone how much you love them, but anyone can spend money, it's the thought and effort that should be the important part.

The best gift I ever gave a woman was something that only cost me the price of a stamp. I wrote a song about her and had it copyrighted. Posted Image

#18 of 38 BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 06:09 AM

Quote:
it is sweetest day, mark...it is the third saturday in october...it only seems to be phenomen a few places, like the midwest

It's a fake holiday purely to sell rubbish. Don't fall for it!!
high resolution ipod featuring dlp hd programming is the best, almost as good as playstation 2 with wega windows media on a super cd! ps2 and tivo do dolby tv with broadband hdtv!

#19 of 38 Jed M

Jed M

Screenwriter

• 2,030 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 06:24 AM

Sweetest day? I grew up in the Midwest for 22 years and I have never heard of it. If you really want to be romantic, give gifts for no reason on just any random day, not just because Hallmark says to. How unromantic is that? Some enormous faceless company telling you when and how to seduce your mate.
Long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be.
-R. Waters

#20 of 38 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 06:26 AM

According to this article http://www.creativec...weetestday.html Sweetest Day was created to be kind to the less fortunate. It sounds like someone (probably a female) turned it into another Valentines day where their guys have to spend money on crap and the real meaning of the day is burried under overpriced flowers and pink lace. Posted Image

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow