Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Pearl Harbor Announced For Dec Any News On Extras Yet?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 of 90 OFFLINE   jez

jez

Stunt Coordinator

• 124 posts

Posted August 10 2001 - 01:05 AM

Buena Vista have announced that on there web site that this will recieve a December release.

Any news on the extras front yet.

Thanks a lot Posted Image

------------------
Posted Image
"You've done a man's job sir. I guess you're through"
Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!

#2 of 90 OFFLINE   David-alexander

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator

• 218 posts

Posted August 10 2001 - 02:37 AM

most probably something à la Unbreakable. It will be a VISTA serie, with dts. miam!!

#3 of 90 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted August 10 2001 - 05:27 AM

[quote]

It will be a VISTA serie, with dts.

[quote] Maybe, but I wouldn't count on DTS unless the film is spread over two discs. With over a three-hour running time, there may not be enough space for both DD and DTS on a single disc.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#4 of 90 OFFLINE   Frank L

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator

• 139 posts

Posted August 10 2001 - 06:19 AM

This is what David Prior (Producer for the DVD) had to say on a recent thread:

[quote]

We've taken great pains to make sure the packaging of Pearl Harbor is special and unique. Disney has done an outstanding job with the mockups so far; it will be very nice.

As far as the specs go, I must defer to Disney's timetable for releasing that information, but suffice to say we're dealing with a long movie and many hours of extremely cool supplements.

If there is interest, I'll confer with Disney about releasing some specifics to this forum as soon as possible.

Cheers,

David Prior

[quote]

Maybe now that the disc has been announced Mr. Prior can give us some hints Posted Image

F
Frank

#5 of 90 OFFLINE   Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie

Producer

• 3,636 posts

Posted August 10 2001 - 06:33 AM

[quote]

Maybe, but I wouldn't count on DTS

[quote]

Ahh crap Michael, you had to go and say it. No peace now!!!! Posted Image
No longer here.

#6 of 90 OFFLINE   David-alexander

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator

• 218 posts

Posted August 10 2001 - 07:08 AM

well, if they keep the French and Spanish 5.1, sure won't be space enough.

the way they did Unbreakable, anything is possible Posted Image

#7 of 90 OFFLINE   YANG

YANG

Second Unit

• 483 posts

Posted August 10 2001 - 07:14 AM

"Maybe, but I wouldn't count on DTS unless the film is spread over two discs. With over a three-hour running time, there may not be enough space for both DD and DTS on a single disc." If you have THE THIN RED LINE DTS DVD,you will know whether can they(DISNEY mastering team) squeeze in 3hrs++ PEARL HARBOUR into a dual layer disc. THIN RED LINE DTS 5.1 is in full bit rate too! FRENCH subtitles yes.Full 5.1 audio...no.Minus any animated menus too!

#8 of 90 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted August 10 2001 - 07:14 AM

[quote]

No peace now!!!!

[quote] Aw, c'mon, Rob. The Wonka threads are dying down -- it's time for a new firefight! Posted Image

M.

#9 of 90 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted August 10 2001 - 07:20 AM

[quote]

If you have THE THIN RED LINE DTS DVD,you will know whether can they(DISNEY mastering team) squeeze in 3hrs++ PEARL HARBOUR into a dual layer disc.

[quote] As others have already noted, it all depends on what other extras they choose to include. The Thin Red Line doesn't have many, as I recall. It also depends on how well the video compresses.

And BTW, Yang, The Thin Red Line is under three hours.

M.

#10 of 90 OFFLINE   Andy Kim

Andy Kim

Second Unit

• 252 posts

Posted August 10 2001 - 08:43 AM

Where was this announcement? Can you provide the URL? Thanks

#11 of 90 OFFLINE   Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted August 10 2001 - 02:33 PM

I dont see how it would be so hard. Just put the DD 5.1 and dts 5.1 on the first disc. All the extras go on the second disc. Its not that hard. Ive seen it done before. Im pretty sure there would be room for a commentary too.

I love this movie and I dont want it without DTS !!!!!

Even if it isnt ill still get it. Posted Image

In this dts with 3+ hour movies, who else wants Paramount to redo the Titanic DVD? Anamorphic is must of course. But damnit, I want my DTS!!!
Another supporter of 1080p and uncompressed multi-channel sound!

My Twin 18's. 50cuft of box, tuned to 11hz and with 2k watts on tap.

#12 of 90 OFFLINE   David-alexander

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator

• 218 posts

Posted August 10 2001 - 09:30 PM

smells fishy already....... argh!

I see..... artefacts, ringings, compression blocks because they will put again 4 discrete tracks to satisfy all......... I wish they'd do a superbit editon on this one, pure. Posted Image

#13 of 90 OFFLINE   YANG

YANG

Second Unit

• 483 posts

Posted August 10 2001 - 09:53 PM

There is a DTS release of DANCES WITH WOLVES in a dual layer disc,only that i can't remember is it from R4 or R2. As i had mentioned,more space can be created if certain features are sacrificed on the first disc.One of such feature is the space taking FULL 5.1 audio of another language.Subtitles is much more better than a full 5.1 audio of this paticullar language. Animated menus...i believe is one of the items that takes up disc space too.How much i don't know,hope that somebody can enlighten me!

#14 of 90 OFFLINE   David-alexander

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator

• 218 posts

Posted August 10 2001 - 09:55 PM

THIN RED LINE was not and it has a stunning picture, while being FULL RATE dts.

if they put the french and spanish track too, they can't do it PROPERLY. if they don't, fine!!!!!

there is a difference between truth and what we are made believe to......
http://homepage.ntlw...mbe/dts_dvd.htm

#15 of 90 OFFLINE   David-alexander

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator

• 218 posts

Posted August 10 2001 - 09:58 PM

YANG: true Dances With Wolves (theatrical version): region 1 Image Ent. USA 1509 2-disc version. region 2 Pathe UK 754 1-disc version.

#16 of 90 OFFLINE   Robert McClanahan

Robert McClanahan

Stunt Coordinator

• 194 posts

Posted August 11 2001 - 12:10 AM

Hey how about DTS ES!I think this is going to be one of those discs where I skip to the battle scenes.I cant wait to hear the bullets hitting the concrete airfield from the zeros.I hope its in DTS.

#17 of 90 OFFLINE   YANG

YANG

Second Unit

• 483 posts

Posted August 11 2001 - 08:15 AM

With FOX as a trend setter and leader of DTS DVD release,other studio should take note of FOX's effort and final product. THIN RED LINE is a very good example for all. So there is no excuse(still,it will have to depend on the studios' DVD release team to decide) for other studio not to release what most consumers wants and interested since a best swimmer had jump into the pool. There is no need for a full bit rate for all DTS release.So PARAMOUNT,DISNEY and other studios can have no worry that DTS will degrade their releases. PARAMOUNT-TITANIC-195mins PARAMOUNT-BRAVEHEART-177mins(pls correct me if i'm wrong of the running time) TOUCHSTONE-PEARL HARBOR-180mins(correct me if i'm wrong again) COLUMBIA-PATRIOT-170mins MGM/ORION-DANCES WITH WOLVES-180mins WARNER-HEAT-170mins ...and others more. "Hey how about DTS ES!" DTSES or DDEX is possible if the back channel is not a discrete center back track...i mean 6.1 channel audio in the release.Matrix rear is more than enough. [Edited last by YANG on August 11, 2001 at 11:20 AM]

#18 of 90 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,687 posts

Posted August 11 2001 - 08:56 AM

It's sure to have a Michael Bay commentary in which Mr. Bay comments for two-and-a-half-hours on what a fine director Michael Bay is and that he can't understand why he is so maligned by press and audiences alike. Oh, and a documentary in which Mr. Bay comments for a half-hour more on what a fine director Michael Bay is and that he can't understand why...etc.

#19 of 90 OFFLINE   Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter

• 1,323 posts

Posted August 11 2001 - 09:00 AM

December 7th would be a great day to release it, but that's a Friday. I think Artisan released The Blair Witch Project on a Friday, so anything is possible. Neil ------------------ "Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran

#20 of 90 OFFLINE   Sean Moon

Sean Moon

Screenwriter

• 2,045 posts

Posted August 11 2001 - 09:06 AM

and exit wounds is coming out on a friday...so anything is possible ------------------
http://doctordoom.blogspot.com

We must stand in awe of the infinite capacity of the human mind to reject the introduction of useful knowledge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users