Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Charcoal or Gas Grill?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#181 of 191 OFFLINE   AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Screenwriter

• 1,003 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted March 09 2014 - 04:44 PM

Just as I also said .. it's great having both, as long as it's Weber!

#182 of 191 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,103 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted March 09 2014 - 05:49 PM

Browsed the grills at Lowes and HomeDepot this afternoon. I talked to a salesman at Lowes for a bit; he was helpful and helped me understand the Weber grills better. Although, interestingly, he liked the CharBroil (I think) and recommended that as we talked.

I've ruled out "infrared".

Weber grills are all priced the same retail and online, so I'll probably buy locally. I still don't know what to make of the Weber options (sear station and stainless vs colored).

Definitely going gas, since I'm plumbed to the house's NG line. The convenience to me far outweighs flavor benefits of charcoal.

• Sam Posten likes this

#183 of 191 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 16,863 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted March 10 2014 - 05:49 AM

Well said Josh. I do like the flavor of charcoal better but nothing beats the convenience of propane.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#184 of 191 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,535 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 10 2014 - 10:56 AM

Some of the new Webers have interchangeable grate accessories, like pizza stones and poultry roasters. It doesn't seem to be too much more expensive than the plain ol' versions.

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#185 of 191 OFFLINE   nara

nara

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts

Posted March 10 2014 - 11:31 AM

Charcoal. Gas is for pussies!

#186 of 191 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,103 posts

Posted March 10 2014 - 03:38 PM

I think I'll get the Weber Genesis E-330, with natural gas hookup. I think I'll use the sear station (a fourth burner to get the grates even hotter for steaks), though I don't care about the side burner. The stainless steel grates of the S-330 are appealing, but maybe not $120 appealing. I don't know of any cooking benefit; cast-iron are fine.

I've got a couple-three months before the deck is built: time to start watching for grill sales :)

#187 of 191 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,223 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted March 10 2014 - 03:51 PM

Cast iron(porcelain coated or not) you'll replace every 2-4 year's. Stainless. The grill will fall apart before the stainless has problems.

#188 of 191 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,103 posts

Posted March 10 2014 - 07:24 PM

Cast iron(porcelain coated or not) you'll replace every 2-4 year's.

Stainless. The grill will fall apart before the stainless has problems.

The trade off seems to be heat capacity.

"A good, heavy cast iron grate should last for decades if you take care of it. If you simply are not willing to do the work, go for a high quality porcelain coated cast iron grate. You get the heat characteristics of cast iron in a rust resistant surface."
http://bbq.about.com.../f/f060704a.htm

Weber has this to say:
Which are better, stainless steel, porcelain-coated cast iron or porcelain enamel cooking grates?

The cooking grates on our gas grills are available in three types – porcelain-enameled steel, porcelain-enameled cast iron and stainless steel. Each grate has its benefits:
The porcelain enamel steel grates offer even heating and searing abilities.
The porcelain enameled cast iron grates offer a hotter surface for searing because cast iron retains heat better than porcelain enameled steel or stainless steel.
The stainless steel grates offer cooking properties similar to the porcelain enameled steel grates and are very durable.

http://help.weber.co...oated-cast-iron

Warranty is a wash:
Stainless steel cooking grates 5 years, no rust through or burn through
Porcelain-enameled, cast-iron cooking grates 5 years, no rust through or burn through

#189 of 191 OFFLINE   Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

• 1,055 posts

Posted March 10 2014 - 07:44 PM

Charcoal. Gas is for pussies!

Not if it's a gas-fired infrared grill. Infrared grills have a flame temperature of 700+ °F., and unlike charcoal grills generally don't suffer from the "hot spot" problem that plagues charcoal grills at times. In fact, steakhouse restaurants often use infrared grills because they can cook steaks at amazing speed without drying out the steak itself.

Raymond in Sacramento, CA USA

#190 of 191 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,535 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 11 2014 - 10:32 AM

That sounds different from what Char-Broil sells as "infrared."

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#191 of 191 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,223 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted March 11 2014 - 10:37 AM

The trade off seems to be heat capacity.

"A good, heavy cast iron grate should last for decades if you take care of it. If you simply are not willing to do the work, go for a high quality porcelain coated cast iron grate. You get the heat characteristics of cast iron in a rust resistant surface."
http://bbq.about.com.../f/f060704a.htm

Weber has this to say:
Which are better, stainless steel, porcelain-coated cast iron or porcelain enamel cooking grates?

The cooking grates on our gas grills are available in three types – porcelain-enameled steel, porcelain-enameled cast iron and stainless steel. Each grate has its benefits:
The porcelain enamel steel grates offer even heating and searing abilities.
The porcelain enameled cast iron grates offer a hotter surface for searing because cast iron retains heat better than porcelain enameled steel or stainless steel.
The stainless steel grates offer cooking properties similar to the porcelain enameled steel grates and are very durable.

http://help.weber.co...oated-cast-iron

Warranty is a wash:
Stainless steel cooking grates 5 years, no rust through or burn through
Porcelain-enameled, cast-iron cooking grates 5 years, no rust through or burn through

Ability to sear has more to do with the mass of the grates themselves...more than what the grate is made of. More mass...more heat hold(cast iron, if porcelain coated,  and SS have the same heat loss quotient. Aluminum is higher than either...but, doesn't withstand the outright heat)

Not if it's a gas-fired infrared grill. Infrared grills have a flame temperature of 700+ °F., and unlike charcoal grills generally don't suffer from the "hot spot" problem that plagues charcoal grills at times. In fact, steakhouse restaurants often use infrared grills because they can cook steaks at amazing speed without drying out the steak itself.

If you have "hot spots", you suck at charcoal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users