-

Photo
- - - - -

Recommend Some Good Ghost Stories to Me

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 OFFLINE   Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot

Second Unit

• 388 posts

Posted October 13 2003 - 04:35 AM

While I like a wide variety of horror movies, my girlfriend is a lot more particular. She prefers intelligent spooky ghost stories or movies with a supernatural theme that do not depend on gore or shock tactics to get their scares across. Some gore is okay, the movie just can't be based AROUND gory special effects. I guess what I'm saying is that mood and atmosphere are more important that gushing blood.

Unfortunately I'm afraid that, over the years, we may have already hunted down all the films that fit this catagory. Here's a partial list off the top of my head of what we've already seen (I put an asterisk by those we liked best)

*The Innocents

*The Haunting (original)

The Uninvited

*The Haunting of Julia

*The Changeling

*The Others

The Devil's Backbone

*The Kingdom

What Lies Beneath

*Blair Witch Project

Does anyone have any suggestions of other spooky/supernatural films we might try?

#2 of 21 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted October 13 2003 - 04:48 AM

Well opinions about this are varied, but if you haven't checked them out you might try:

The Shining
Rosemary's Baby
The Sixth Sense
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#3 of 21 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,358 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted October 13 2003 - 04:50 AM

Poltergeist (1982)

Ghost Story (1980)

Jack Clayton's The Innocents (1961) is the best 'ghost story' ever made IMO,
and still effectively chilling today, an absolutely superb film, where's the DVD?

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#4 of 21 OFFLINE   MartinTeller

MartinTeller

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted October 13 2003 - 06:11 AM

Kwaidan

#5 of 21 OFFLINE   Richard Kim

Richard Kim

Producer

• 4,389 posts

Posted October 13 2003 - 06:29 AM

The Ring (The original Japanese films or the 2002 US remake)

#6 of 21 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,618 posts

Posted October 13 2003 - 06:30 AM

The Shining
Kwaidan
Rosemary's Baby
The Tenant
Legend of Hell House
Black Sabbath
Black Sunday (Mario Bava)
The Devil Rides Out
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#7 of 21 OFFLINE   Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted October 13 2003 - 06:43 AM

The Others
The Eye

EDIT: Oops, The Others had already been mentioned :b Take this second recommendation as further proof of its greatness Posted ImagePosted Image

EDIT 2: And now I see the film was already in your list. I swear I missed it the first time around :b:b

Man, an hour wasted on this sig! Thanks, Toshiba! :P

#8 of 21 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted October 13 2003 - 06:58 AM

You might want to check out often overlooked The Legend of Hell House. Intelligent script by Richard Matheson, it oozes a creepy atmosphere thanks to a great score and unusual photography & also sports a fairly erotic scene involving Gayle Hunnicutt and a nude statue. Always a plus when watching with a wife/girlfriend. Posted Image
Death before Streaming!

#9 of 21 OFFLINE   Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot

Second Unit

• 388 posts

Posted October 13 2003 - 10:30 AM

Thanks everyone! Many excellent suggestions - some of which I had already seen and liked, but had forgotten about. Never heard of Kwaidan and The Eye, but I'll follow up on them along with the other suggestions. Thanks again and Happy Halloween!

#10 of 21 OFFLINE   Pete B.

Pete B.

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 08:19 AM

Also check out Stir Of Echoes!

Pete

#11 of 21 OFFLINE   Stephen_Dar

Stephen_Dar

Stunt Coordinator

• 105 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 08:40 AM

The thing about Kwaidan is it's an awesome DVD, great work for an old print. Fabulous colors. It is very Japanese but I find it spooky in it's subtle way.

I have the same requirements as your GF, and unfortunately there are VERY FEW movies that fit the bill it seems. Hollywood doesn't like to do ghost stories straight, they always have to be comedies or at least silly Posted Image

I will admit that, although I despised The 6th sense overall and the director completely, there are moments in the movie that are really effectively creepy ghost moments. Oh how I wish that hack could have had the restraint just to leave it at that and not put in the fake ending. Oh well, his subsequent work shows he doesn't have the talent to recognize subtlety anyway.

#12 of 21 OFFLINE   Perry Jonkheer

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit

• 328 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 09:01 AM

Identity
Candyman
Psycho
Event Horizon
Stigmata
Once again, the Bulls have let me down...

#13 of 21 OFFLINE   Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor

• 765 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 10:44 AM

I second Stir of Echoes. Excellent movie.

Another you might want to try is The Serpent and The Rainbow.

#14 of 21 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,358 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted October 14 2003 - 10:55 AM

erm you've all managed to miss out one of the most frightening ghost movies of them all, tsk tsk.

no no the other spoiler, the other spoiler

Ghost (1990) starring Demi Moore, Patrick Swayze and Whoopie Goldberg, okay, who cried at the end of Ghost? come on own up. Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#15 of 21 OFFLINE   Perry Jonkheer

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit

• 328 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 11:42 AM

I third Stir of Echoes...

Awesome Movie, period.
Once again, the Bulls have let me down...

#16 of 21 OFFLINE   Al Stuart

Al Stuart

Stunt Coordinator

• 128 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 02:23 PM

Kairo, which at the moment is only officially out in R2 and R3, but is obtainable from Ebay in region free status. Absolutely terrifying movie. Sort of a riff on Ringu, and IMHO, better, but using the internet instead (and no, it has nothing to do with feardotcom).

#17 of 21 OFFLINE   Cagri

Cagri

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted October 15 2003 - 12:00 AM

The Entity.
Not great but worth checking out IMO.
Too much debt...

#18 of 21 OFFLINE   Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman

Producer

• 4,956 posts

Posted October 15 2003 - 12:56 AM

I saw Kwaidan the other day. It's not really spooky or scary, but uses a mix of modern (at the time) cinematic techniques, wild color, and traditional Japanese style story-telling to create moods. It's a series of 4 tales.

#19 of 21 OFFLINE   Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo

Second Unit

• 434 posts

Posted October 15 2003 - 09:05 AM

I also give props to Stir Of Echoes.. not really scary, but a good movie none the less..

One that got me as a kid, besides Serpeant and the Rainbow, was the Prince of Darkness... Cheesy, but got me..

#20 of 21 OFFLINE   Joseph Young

Joseph Young

Screenwriter

• 1,355 posts

Posted October 15 2003 - 09:58 AM

Speaking of cheesy, how about Dominique is Dead with Cliff Robertson? Posted Image A very unsettling, slow but creepy psychological horror/ghost movie with a couple of effective moments such as
the sound of a creaking hangman's rope swinging in the arboretum across the house.