Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Best Rock Speaker Other Than Klipsch?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
103 replies to this topic

#1 of 104 Mark Russ

Mark Russ

Second Unit

• 341 posts

Posted October 12 2003 - 11:01 AM

The title pretty much sums it all up.

#2 of 104 mark rush

mark rush

Stunt Coordinator

• 91 posts

Posted October 12 2003 - 12:20 PM

for rock music[ for the money] the bigger cerwin vega's perform pretty good[for a cheap speaker] how much do you want to spend??

#3 of 104 Jason_Me

Jason_Me

Stunt Coordinator

• 215 posts

Posted October 12 2003 - 12:22 PM

Do you have a price point?
Jason Mertz

#4 of 104 Mark Russ

Mark Russ

Second Unit

• 341 posts

Posted October 12 2003 - 12:37 PM

Let's say $1500 to an absolute max of $2000 for the main l/r.

#5 of 104 dale^g

dale^g

Stunt Coordinator

• 60 posts

Posted October 12 2003 - 12:58 PM

...step away from the Cerwin Vegas...slowly, step away then run the other way! RUN LUKE...RUN!
will work for HT

#6 of 104 Jason.Soko

Jason.Soko

Stunt Coordinator

• 219 posts

Posted October 12 2003 - 01:01 PM

Oi vey. Klipschs are not good Posted Image Why do these things keep coming up. You can get some serious speakers for $2000.
Cambridge Audio D500SE
SimAudio Moon I-5
Totem Acoustics Forest

#7 of 104 dale^g

dale^g

Stunt Coordinator

• 60 posts

Posted October 12 2003 - 01:07 PM

AMEN BROTHER....i wish i had that kind of cabbage to spend!
will work for HT

#8 of 104 Jason.Soko

Jason.Soko

Stunt Coordinator

• 219 posts

Posted October 12 2003 - 01:30 PM

Am I the only one who thinks all those speakers sold in Circuit Cities and such are all crap? Seriously, you can get MUCH nicer speakers for the same price at a real shop.
Cambridge Audio D500SE
SimAudio Moon I-5
Totem Acoustics Forest

#9 of 104 Dan Hine

Dan Hine

Screenwriter

• 1,314 posts

Posted October 12 2003 - 02:26 PM

I like a lot of the Klipsch speakers I've listened to. Also, the HE10.1's that I've built sound incredible, bet the HE12.1's would too and when I have money again will be designing something around a pair of Selenium coax drivers. Saying Klipsch is not good is soooo subjective and I hope people reading this thread understand that. Jason, it's cool that you don't like them so please don't think I'm trying to say your opinion is invalid. I also really like Polk Audio speakers a lot. If I didn't build my own I'd probably stick with them. Not EVERYTHING at Circuit City and the like is bad...

I would say to also consider Pi Speakers as they would likely meet your needs quite well.
I strive to be the man my dog thinks I am.

#10 of 104 Michael R Price

Michael R Price

Screenwriter

• 1,591 posts

Posted October 12 2003 - 02:32 PM

Mark,

May I ask why you would prefer a non Klipsch speaker? That might make it easier to might help find one you like.

#11 of 104 Mark Russ

Mark Russ

Second Unit

• 341 posts

Posted October 12 2003 - 02:40 PM

Dale, I agree with you 100% about Cerwin Vegas. I'd get Klipsch any day of the week before them.

Jason S., I'm sorry, but I don't see how your post has anything to do with the thread or helps in anyway whatsoever. I could care less where the speakers are sold, if they are what's the right choice. Hell, I'd buy them from Kroger or Winn Dixie if it was the best choice at the best price.

Dan, I believe the new Polk RTi12 should be on the short list.

Michael, I have extensively auditioned the KLF30s from Klipsch, and I just can't take them, even though they are supposed to be THE rock and roll speaker. Too piercing, glaring, whatever.

#12 of 104 Jason.Soko

Jason.Soko

Stunt Coordinator

• 219 posts

Posted October 12 2003 - 02:53 PM

I could care less where they were sold as well. But chain stores like that, sell chain items. It often results in low quality products, especially in the area of speakers. All I'm saying is you could do a lot more for the same price with alternative, less commercialized brands.
Cambridge Audio D500SE
SimAudio Moon I-5
Totem Acoustics Forest

#13 of 104 Mark Russ

Mark Russ

Second Unit

• 341 posts

Posted October 12 2003 - 03:16 PM

Jason S., not neccesarily, CC has Polks, Infinity, and HK & Onkyo receivers. BB has JBL and Yamaha. While admittedly not super "high end", someone could do a whole lot worse than that.

I will agree though that getting a proper demo is impossible in a place like that. And, all things being equal (specifically product and price), then yes, I'd rather buy from a "specialty" shop. However, even CC & BB have their good points, like interest free financing on it's store card, liberal return policy, and "trade up" programs.

#14 of 104 Michael R Price

Michael R Price

Screenwriter

• 1,591 posts

Posted October 12 2003 - 03:53 PM

It's the glare, eh? You could give Klipsch another chance, perhaps the RF-7 with a ~30 watt tube amp (legend has it the newer speakers are more tame). I think if you find a Klipsch speaker without harshness that's your best bet because of their efficiency. But otherwise, there are quite a few good tower speakers you could use that have the potential to rock if you use a mondo amplifier and a subwoofer with them. I have Kit281s (a DIY medium-size tower with two 8" woofers) and even at 87db/1w they have the power to make me think "oh, sweet!" every once in awhile. Took a hundred pounds of amplifier to do it, though.

#15 of 104 Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge

Producer

• 3,719 posts

Posted October 12 2003 - 04:05 PM

Despite the debate over whether BB, CC, and the like sell quality products, the fact is Mark has $2K to spend on main speakers alone. That in and of itself should eliminate the big box stores! Posted Image
Brian Bunge
RAD Home Theater

#16 of 104 John Robert

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted October 12 2003 - 04:06 PM

If the term "rock speakers" means efficient than the Klipschs are a good choice. If you want something that will play loud with mucho bass, then powered towers might work well for you. You don't say if it's 2CH or 5.1, but $2K would also buy a serious 2CH sub/sat combo...

#17 of 104 Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter

• 1,365 posts

Posted October 12 2003 - 05:25 PM

A pair of Klipsch RB-75's and a SVS with the remaining money. Posted Image

#18 of 104 LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted October 12 2003 - 06:52 PM

Mark Russ asked for a good rock speaker. To me, this means a speaker that has powerful eyeball-compressing 40Hz-100hz bass but not neccesarily the ultra-deep kind (which rock doesn't usually have anyway). The mids need to be very clear & defined since that is where the guitars and certain drums are. Highs are powerful and crystal clear but not grainy or rough (there's a difference!).

And this speaker has to be able to operate at high power levels for extended periods of time (i.e. parties) without burning out drivers or fuses.

IMO Klipsch's older "KLF" series, Cerwin-Vega, DCM and MTX speakers all fill these requirements. They may not have real bird's-eye maple veneers or leather trim but that has nothing to do with their sonic quality. I've heard all the above speakers and thought they sounded good & used good quality drivers, especially the Klipschs. And I think they would all make a fun-to-hear HT system, particularly in a large room. And since all these speakers are very efficient giant amps aren't needed to produce high sound levels--a 100watt/channel receiver (stereo rating) ought to be able to peel paint off the walls. Posted Image

And no, IMO these speakers are not made for extended or critical listening sessions because I think they are the audio equivalent of a roller coaster: they're made to give an intense thrill for a certain period of time & they make no apologies for doing so.

Most high end speakers are too docile to handle the above requirements. They may have better reproduction of the subtle sonic details, but really, how much straight-ahead rock-n-roll has this AND is recorded well enough in the first place???

Mark Russ, what makes many high end speakers cost so much is their very time-consuming research to bring out those tiny details that make recorded music sound real, as opposed to just very good.

So if you "just" need fun & very good sound Posted Image you don't need to spend thousands of dollars to get it.

LJ

#19 of 104 MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor

• 593 posts

Posted October 12 2003 - 09:51 PM

Well-said, Lance. Posted ImagePosted Image I agree. My El Cheapo Deluxe Kenwood towers are rated at 110watts RMS, and play loud for long periods of time. Paired with a sub, they flat-out kicked.

Now, fine details like cymbal and reverb decay weren't all that finely detailed and male voices could be muddy...but for what the speakers are, they're great.

$2K can get you a nice pair of towers and an SVS tube sub. Rock City USA, with that combo!
Yeah, I base all my HT purchases on the WAF, too. Wallet Acceptance Factor.

#20 of 104 DonnyD

DonnyD

Screenwriter

• 1,154 posts

Posted October 12 2003 - 11:01 PM

In 1978, I purchsed some of the best "rock" speakers made back then...and they are still considered one of the best even now...... JBL L100... a friend bought the 4311 series. We both still have them and they are definitely some kick-a** rock speakers......... I still use mine for 2 channel and HT....... They are very in your face with very strong and forward midrange and solid bass and crisp clean highs and will drive with just about anything yet will handle (and love) much much power.

But beware, if you can find these somewhere to listen to, you may well be spoiled and want to take them home with ya........
"There comes a time in the lives of men, when taken at the tide, you're liable to ****ing drown..." R. Farina
"or go broke due to upgraditis..." D. Davis