Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Need some help.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   HowardPM

HowardPM

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted October 12 2003 - 07:10 AM

I finally decided to use my rec. like your suppose to. So I connected the Component Cables From the HDTV cable box to the TV IN on the receiver, then component Cables from the Reciever (Monitor Out) to the TV. Now when I turn on the TV, the screen is all screwed up. kinda like I'm seeing 3 parts of the show in random spots and they moving all around.

If I plug the Components directly from the Cable box to the TV it looks fine. Any suggestions?

By the way I'll have many more questions once I get this working.

Thanks

Howard

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted October 12 2003 - 10:05 AM

Hi there! The 3 component cables from the CATV box must go into a component 'in' on your receiver. I think you plugged them into the L/R audio and yellow composite sockets.

Glenn

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   HowardPM

HowardPM

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted October 12 2003 - 02:13 PM

I gave up on that I just went directly into the tv. works fine now. Thanks

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles

Producer

• 4,791 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 11:43 AM

and to clear things up, too:

I finally decided to use my rec. like your suppose to.

You're not *supposed* to go through the receiver at all. Purists would recommend NOT going through the receiver, as it's another set of wires and switching in the path. The only point of going through the receiver is to accomplish video switching and/or simplicity. If it is just as easy for you to go directly to your display (and you don't have more things to connect than inputs on your display), then it's best to go directly to the display, and not through the receiver or any other video switching device(video processors not included, of course).

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh

Producer

• 5,183 posts

Posted October 14 2003 - 05:53 PM

Also note that just because a receiver has component switching, component does not mean it will handle the higher-frequency HDTV video signals:

Component Video (480i) max frequency: 4 Mhz
Progressive Video (480p) max frequency: 12 mhz
HD Video (1080i) max frequency: 35 mhz

This is why you should go direct from source to TV with a HD system.

if you run out of inputs, there is a "Inexpensive HD Video Switching" thread in the receivers section that discusses several $100-$150 switch box's (and several cheaper alternatives).