What's new

Anyone excited about DOOM 3? (1 Viewer)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I loved DOOM and DOOM II... and I just saw some screenshots of DOOM 3 here.

It looks amazing. I think I'll have to buy a new PC just to play it, though. :)

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
Right now this game is under some development hell. Last I heard is the Trent Reznor left the project and took the sound efx and score he did for the game with him. Also another project manager left ID software can't remember his name at the moment. The version I played at E3 was really a straight forward FPS. Nothing in the enviroment can be interacted with it is all static except doors and equipment. The graphics look great don't get me wrong there. To me it is nothing more than Doom remade with sharper graphics. Of couse I played a beta demo at the E3 booth so who knows what the final version will have instore.

David Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
This is my most anticipated game at the moment. However, my excitement stems from the technology. I am a recently-graduated computer science major, and am just now starting to study 3D game engines. id's unified light model is the future game technology, and I could not be more excited.

Doom3 will feature a fully functional physics engine. This game may not feature the level of interactivity as seen with the HL2 anti-grav gun, but Doom's physics system will be comparable to HL2 in many ways. You do need to realize that the Havok physics engine in HL2 will require a heavy-duty processor, and this upcoming generation of games will find the CPU bottleneck very fast if you just want a game that features realistic glass shattering.

Trent Reznor has most likely left the project entirely (taking his work with him), and Graeme Devine recently left, too. I wouldn't read too much into this because Graeme's main work was basically complete, and the project can pick up without him without much delay. id has a small development team, and they all care very much about releasing an extremely high quality game.

I think that most of today's gamers will still be more satisfied with HL2. I think that it will meet their needs as far as both multi and single player. I'm much more excited about D3 MP, because I think that today's computers can offer a much more realistic experience than we have today. Lighting and acoustics can be used much more effectively than we have seen in games like UT2K3, and I'm ready to slow everybody down a bit and become more immersed in the experience.

With Deus Ex 2, Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 coming in the next six months, I think that just about every FPS fan has something to look forward to.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
No offense, but beyond the graphics and physics engine, what does this game have going for it? Sure, the visceral factor will be strong and probably warrant a purchase, but the puzzles/story of Half-Life are what allow it to be played over and over (the same of which is expected from the sequel). I'm not trying to thread fart, I'm just wondering what it is that everyone is looking forward to besides the obvious reasons.

Hell, I want it, too.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I'm just wondering what it is that everyone is looking forward to besides the obvious reasons.
I think you answered your own question. I'm sure the technical aspect will atract many but you also note the "visceral" impact, scaring people out their boots. I would have to think there's some nostalgia involved as well. How long has it been since Doom I and II?

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
I remember beating first DOOM and then DOOM II on my 486 laptop at night, while working graveyard shift...I rarely play games through to completion now, those were the days...Count me in for DOOM III, for the curiousity/nolstalgia factor if nothing else.

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
One or both were on several consoles, including Super Nintendo (played it) Jaguar, Sega Genesis CD, and there must have been a few others. You can get I and II for the Nintendo GameBoy right now...

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Doom 1 was on the SNES, 32X, Jaguar, and the 3DO (which is easily the worst port, with a postage stamp-sized viewing area). Doom 1 and 2 were compiled together and released for the Playstation and Saturn. Final Doom was also ported to the Playstation. Doom 64 isn't a port at all but a completely redone game (new levels, new weapon and character designs, new textures, etc.). Here's a nice (now-dead) page with comparisons and info on the various console versions.

Then of course there was the popular 2600 port........

James T

Screenwriter
Why did Trent Reznor leave? He can really make the atmosphere in a game.

Doom 3 screenshots look amazing, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a zero story game where all you do is shoot anything that moves and find those stupid yellow, red and blue keys!!!Grrrr!!!

Anthony Connor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Connor
It is all about the atmosphere. I think Doom won me over because I enjoyed being part of the game, then being freaked out when a monster popped out of the shadows.

It didn't really make me think and I liked that.

Regards

AXE

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Doom 3 screenshots look amazing, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a zero story game where all you do is shoot anything that moves...
You say that like it's a bad thing. :D

Actually, that's what I liked about the DOOM series... it was a good no-brainer shoot-em up. Actually the article makes it sound like iD is going to keep the gameplay simple and focus on the graphics and physics. I mean, iD made the quantum leap for FPS's with the first DOOM and hopefully this will do the same for future games.

The no strafing is a bummer. :frowning:

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
No strafing? Come again? :eek: :frowning:

That takes it back to the bad old days of Wolf3D. Looks like I'll have to play the demo first. Strafing isn't just to dodge projectiles. It's integral to basic movement, as far as I'm concerned.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Wolfenstein had strafing. But I'm not sure where the "no strafing in Doom III" thing comes from since the leaked alpha has strafing and the version at QuakeCon apparently had it ("strafing is no where as good as Quake3" necessarily implies there is strafing).

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Doom 3? It's a no-brainer here!

I didn't get on the Doom bandwagon until a little while after it's initial release on pc.

I bought it for the; then very new, Playstation.

Scariest game I EVER played 'till that point and...to be honest...still the best as far as scare factor goes.

It's "The Exorcist" of the gaming world. :laugh:

Personally, I feel that that's directly tied to it's NASTY soundtrack. Wailing demons, babies crying...:eek:!!! The atmosphere it created was just downright scary and depressing.

Perfect for hell!!!!

If Doom 3 can match that atmosphere with those gorgeous looking graphics, it will certainly be Doom reborn! I hope it runs nice on the Xbox. I'm not giving up 6.1 surround and a huge display in a pitch dark hometheater room, for a pc. :thumbsdown:

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
Jay,

You want to talk about being on the horizon forever...Duke Nukem Forever is the hands down champ in that catagory.

I keep seeing preorder ads for HL2 and Doom3 and can't understand why anyone would want to fork over even a deposit when there isn't some type of firm release date.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks