Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Music DVDs

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 OFFLINE   Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman

Producer

• 4,956 posts

Posted August 28 2001 - 01:00 PM

Here's a product that's either misrepresented or woefully undermarketed. Music DVDs.

Concert footage, videos, etc.

I have two amazing DVDs. One is a performance of the heavy metal band Dreamtheater. It's concert footage, where the band performs an entire concept album, with an announcer, gospel choir, video footage, the whole nine yards. The sound is so great, and there are all sorts of neat little features.

The other one is by King Crimson. Yes, those old prog rockers are still around. Besides the fantastic music these guys play, the DVD itself is great, even if you're not into the band. You can choose between 5.1 surround and AC3 DTS. The DTS sound is huge. There are six members in the group, so it balances out nicely with a surround system. One of the tracks allows you to pipe the sound of any one of the band members to the center speaker, so you can focus on one instrument. Some tracks have multiple camera angles you can choose from, too. Lots of menus and hidden features, and one odd feature where you can select from various rhythm sections, soloists, and vocalists from the band's history to create your own version of the song "21st Century Schizoid Man." Lots of fun.

Can anybody recommend and music DVDs that are as good as these?

#2 of 19 OFFLINE   Nathan A

Nathan A

Second Unit

• 353 posts

Posted August 28 2001 - 01:18 PM

I own both of these DVDs. I love the DT one, and I just purchased King Crimson (haven't had any time to really check it out yet- but was wowed with what little I've seen and heard).

Although those might be the two coolest music DVDs out there, there are others worth picking up.

Try G3 (the first tour)- decent camera work and good sound. Plus it's got live performances of Vai (!). Then there's the Steve Vai Alien Love Secrets DVD, which has all of the songs from the album. It won't disappoint fans, but those who don't like his work probably won't get much out of it. It's got a lot of extras, though, including an entertaining commentary track.

The Tool DVD is a short but sweet one. What's there is very cool, but it's just not enough.

If you're a Fates Warning fan then you might check theirs out, but it's nothing special. Not very long, and it has zero special features. Plus, it's kind of annoying not being able to see A Pleasant Shade of Gray in its entirety.

#3 of 19 OFFLINE   Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman

Producer

• 4,956 posts

Posted August 28 2001 - 05:42 PM

Thanks for the info.

I was considering getting the G3 DVD, but I already own the CD. I'm afraind it would be a bit too redundant. Especially since I'm much more into Satriani than the other two. Vai is amazing, but the only solo album of his I like is Passion & Warfare. I saw him live, though. Lots of fun. Eric Johnson is really talented, but too 'pop' and happy for my tastes. I have one of his albums. Satriani is the master in my book, though. Does the DVD have any cool feature thingies to play with?

I like Tool, but I heard that the DVD just has the videos. I dunno, I don't think I'll be getting it, especially if it's short.

I am into Fates Warning, but unless their DVD is something special, I don't think I'll be getting that one.

I'd also like to see some jazz releases. Everything jazz DVD I find is a documentary. That's fine to watch once, but I'd much rather have concert footage. I'd happily shell out for a couple of solid hours of Mingus or 'Trane playing at their peak.

#4 of 19 OFFLINE   Richard Olson

Richard Olson

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 01:02 AM

If you would like a little bit of variety, pick up the "Woodstock 99" DVD. It has quite a variety of bands performing live and the video/audio is very good.

Also, the Sammy Hagar "Cabo Wabo Birthday Bash Tour" is a good live DVD, if you like Sammy's music.

.....just my 2 cents......

Rich

[Edited last by Richard Olson on August 29, 2001 at 08:03 AM]

#5 of 19 OFFLINE   SteveRS

SteveRS

Stunt Coordinator

• 150 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 02:23 AM

Mike,
If you like Satch, Joe Satriani Live In San Francisco has over two hours of his best. DD5.1 audio with no center channel is good but not reference quality like G3 dvd.
Equipment--
Sony KP-65WV700, DVP-S9000ES, TA-E9000ES, TA-P9000ES
Aragon 8008X5
PSB Stratus Goldi mains
PSB C6i centerPSB Stratus Silver surroundsM&K MX-125 mk2SVS 16-46PC idrYS Audio MK2 tube preampDish 6000 (8VSB/8PSK)

#6 of 19 OFFLINE   Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter

• 1,761 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 02:58 AM

Hi --

What is the name of the King Crimson DVD? Does this feature the Belew/Fripp/Levin/Bruford lineup?

As far as music DVDs, I haven't found anything yet that blew me away. The King Crimson disc sounds like it may be it.

I've recommended the excellent DVD by Phish, Bittersweet Motel before. I think its just great. Gotta love the nude mural too. Posted Image

#7 of 19 OFFLINE   Dennis_H

Dennis_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 99 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 03:14 AM

The King Crimson DVD is DejaVroom. It is the Belew/Fripp/Levin/Bruford/Gunn/Mostelotto lineup from the THRAK tour. It is a flipper, but has tons of extras, even though the menu system will drive you about half insane. Of course, if you already like Crimson music like I do, you're mostly insane anyway... Posted Image

I've heard Steve Hackett's Tokyo Tapes DVD is very good also. Don't think it has extras, but sound and video are supposed to be very good. On my short list of purchases.

------------------

#8 of 19 OFFLINE   Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter

• 1,761 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 03:46 AM

Stupid question: whats a "flipper" ??

#9 of 19 OFFLINE   DougB

DougB

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 03:56 AM

The Two Dave Matthews Band DVD's are also very good.

#10 of 19 OFFLINE   Randy_M

Randy_M

Supporting Actor

• 677 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ

Posted August 29 2001 - 04:51 AM

Singer Jonatha Brooke has put out a DVD of her recent album, "Steady Pull". It's got a music video of every song, a 30 minute video interview about the tunes, follow-along lyrics (via subtitles), DD 5.1 and a full strength DTS track (15 somethings per something).

In addition, the flip side of the disc has a DVD-Audio of the album (I don't have a DVD-A player, so I can't speak to the quality of that side).

Wonderful artist, great album, awesome disc.

You can buy it on her web site www.jonathabrooke.com now ir at Amazon 9/25 when it gets general release.

Cheers
My DVDs

#11 of 19 OFFLINE   PatrickM

PatrickM

Screenwriter

• 1,140 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 06:30 AM

I agree with Randy on the Jonatha Brooke DVD-V/DVD-A. Depending on your tastes in music, the James Taylor Live at the Beacon Theater is one excellent sounding disc. I believe the perfect vision rated it the best sounding live performance music DVD.

Patrick

------------------
If you live in Vancouver, B.C. or the surrounding areas, take a look at the Local Home Theater Forum Meets section for a Vancouver meet.

My DVD Collection

#12 of 19 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,093 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted August 29 2001 - 06:39 AM

Quote:
I believe the perfect vision rated it the best sounding live performance music DVD.
Another cool bit of business with the James Taylor Live at the Beacon Theater disc is that in addition to the stellar DD5.1 track, the 2-channel track is 24-bit rather than the standard 16-bit 48kHz PCM of most DVD music video releases.

Regards,

------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#13 of 19 OFFLINE   Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman

Producer

• 4,956 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 12:14 PM

Yep, the Crimson lineup is the Double Trio: two guitars, two bass, two drums. The 80s lineup + two more guys.

They play a bunch of stuff from the 80s as well as new material. The older stuff sounds fresh and, IMO, better with the extra musicians.

With the DVD on using the DTS sound, you're hit by a massive wall of fantastic noise. Squeaks and squonks, tunes and cacophony, burble, banter, bicker bicker bicker.

Thanks for the heads up on the Satch disk, Steve. I shall look into it.

#14 of 19 OFFLINE   Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor

• 922 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 12:32 PM

Quote:
whats a "flipper"
That's a movie spread out over both sides of the disc. Think of it as the DVD equivalent of vinyl. Or laserdisc. Posted Image

And I'd like to add in Stop Making Sense, the awesome Talking Heads concert film. Great directing, great performances, excellent bonus material and three different sound mixes to play with.

Granted, you'd have to be a Talking Heads fan to really enjoy it, but I've convinced some people who aren't fans to watch it and they became converts in the end.

------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin

ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

I like shiny things. | 2002 Film List | Best & Worst of 2002 | 2003 Film List | 2004 Film List

'I'm sucking up juice from the generator!' - Brian Eno, "I Fall Up"
AIM: KevinLeonard81 (because SexGod9451860 was already taken)
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

#15 of 19 OFFLINE   Ted Kontos

Ted Kontos

Stunt Coordinator

• 132 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 01:52 PM

Pat Metheny Group Live in Japan is an excellent sounding/looking dvd if you're a jazz/Metheny fan. Interviews between the songs but you can skip past them after the first time.

------------------
--------
Ted K.
"Wait here. Be right back"
-Godot
--------
Ted K.

#16 of 19 OFFLINE   Jeff Brooks

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit

• 255 posts
  • LocationSugar Hill GA USA

Posted August 30 2001 - 12:29 AM

Don Henley-Live Inside Job (DTS)

#17 of 19 OFFLINE   KevinW

KevinW

Stunt Coordinator

• 192 posts

Posted August 30 2001 - 01:35 AM

I've always been really pleased with my Eric Clapton and Friends dvd. It includes David Sanborn, Sheryl Crow, Mary J. Blige, and Bob Dylan. Includes a good DD 5.1 mix and PCM Stereo. Absolutley no frills, but excellent music, especially the cuts River of Tears and Old Love.

#18 of 19 OFFLINE   Marvin

Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,450 posts

Posted August 30 2001 - 05:19 AM

Procol Harum: Best of Musikladen

Nothing fancy as far as the DVD goes, just great music.

#19 of 19 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted August 30 2001 - 06:37 AM

Weird Al Live

Except for the synch problems (that I'm sure are on the master tape) the Cranberries Live in Paris is anamorphic and has a killer 5.1 track

Jeff Kleist

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow