What's new

Music DVDs (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Here's a product that's either misrepresented or woefully undermarketed. Music DVDs.
Concert footage, videos, etc.
I have two amazing DVDs. One is a performance of the heavy metal band Dreamtheater. It's concert footage, where the band performs an entire concept album, with an announcer, gospel choir, video footage, the whole nine yards. The sound is so great, and there are all sorts of neat little features.
The other one is by King Crimson. Yes, those old prog rockers are still around. Besides the fantastic music these guys play, the DVD itself is great, even if you're not into the band. You can choose between 5.1 surround and AC3 DTS. The DTS sound is huge. There are six members in the group, so it balances out nicely with a surround system. One of the tracks allows you to pipe the sound of any one of the band members to the center speaker, so you can focus on one instrument. Some tracks have multiple camera angles you can choose from, too. Lots of menus and hidden features, and one odd feature where you can select from various rhythm sections, soloists, and vocalists from the band's history to create your own version of the song "21st Century Schizoid Man." Lots of fun.
Can anybody recommend and music DVDs that are as good as these?

Nathan A

Second Unit
I own both of these DVDs. I love the DT one, and I just purchased King Crimson (haven't had any time to really check it out yet- but was wowed with what little I've seen and heard).
Although those might be the two coolest music DVDs out there, there are others worth picking up.
Try G3 (the first tour)- decent camera work and good sound. Plus it's got live performances of Vai (!). Then there's the Steve Vai Alien Love Secrets DVD, which has all of the songs from the album. It won't disappoint fans, but those who don't like his work probably won't get much out of it. It's got a lot of extras, though, including an entertaining commentary track.
The Tool DVD is a short but sweet one. What's there is very cool, but it's just not enough.
If you're a Fates Warning fan then you might check theirs out, but it's nothing special. Not very long, and it has zero special features. Plus, it's kind of annoying not being able to see A Pleasant Shade of Gray in its entirety.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info.
I was considering getting the G3 DVD, but I already own the CD. I'm afraind it would be a bit too redundant. Especially since I'm much more into Satriani than the other two. Vai is amazing, but the only solo album of his I like is Passion & Warfare. I saw him live, though. Lots of fun. Eric Johnson is really talented, but too 'pop' and happy for my tastes. I have one of his albums. Satriani is the master in my book, though. Does the DVD have any cool feature thingies to play with?
I like Tool, but I heard that the DVD just has the videos. I dunno, I don't think I'll be getting it, especially if it's short.
I am into Fates Warning, but unless their DVD is something special, I don't think I'll be getting that one.
I'd also like to see some jazz releases. Everything jazz DVD I find is a documentary. That's fine to watch once, but I'd much rather have concert footage. I'd happily shell out for a couple of solid hours of Mingus or 'Trane playing at their peak.

Richard Olson

Auditioning
If you would like a little bit of variety, pick up the "Woodstock 99" DVD. It has quite a variety of bands performing live and the video/audio is very good.
Also, the Sammy Hagar "Cabo Wabo Birthday Bash Tour" is a good live DVD, if you like Sammy's music.
.....just my 2 cents......
Rich
[Edited last by Richard Olson on August 29, 2001 at 08:03 AM]

SteveRS

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,
If you like Satch, Joe Satriani Live In San Francisco has over two hours of his best. DD5.1 audio with no center channel is good but not reference quality like G3 dvd.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Hi --
What is the name of the King Crimson DVD? Does this feature the Belew/Fripp/Levin/Bruford lineup?
As far as music DVDs, I haven't found anything yet that blew me away. The King Crimson disc sounds like it may be it.
I've recommended the excellent DVD by Phish, Bittersweet Motel before. I think its just great. Gotta love the nude mural too. :)

Dennis_H

Stunt Coordinator
The King Crimson DVD is DejaVroom. It is the Belew/Fripp/Levin/Bruford/Gunn/Mostelotto lineup from the THRAK tour. It is a flipper, but has tons of extras, even though the menu system will drive you about half insane. Of course, if you already like Crimson music like I do, you're mostly insane anyway... :)
I've heard Steve Hackett's Tokyo Tapes DVD is very good also. Don't think it has extras, but sound and video are supposed to be very good. On my short list of purchases.
------------------

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Singer Jonatha Brooke has put out a DVD of her recent album, "Steady Pull". It's got a music video of every song, a 30 minute video interview about the tunes, follow-along lyrics (via subtitles), DD 5.1 and a full strength DTS track (15 somethings per something).
In addition, the flip side of the disc has a DVD-Audio of the album (I don't have a DVD-A player, so I can't speak to the quality of that side).
Wonderful artist, great album, awesome disc.
You can buy it on her web site www.jonathabrooke.com now ir at Amazon 9/25 when it gets general release.
Cheers

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I agree with Randy on the Jonatha Brooke DVD-V/DVD-A. Depending on your tastes in music, the James Taylor Live at the Beacon Theater is one excellent sounding disc. I believe the perfect vision rated it the best sounding live performance music DVD.
Patrick
------------------
If you live in Vancouver, B.C. or the surrounding areas, take a look at the Local Home Theater Forum Meets section for a Vancouver meet.
My DVD Collection

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I believe the perfect vision rated it the best sounding live performance music DVD.
Another cool bit of business with the James Taylor Live at the Beacon Theater disc is that in addition to the stellar DD5.1 track, the 2-channel track is 24-bit rather than the standard 16-bit 48kHz PCM of most DVD music video releases.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Yep, the Crimson lineup is the Double Trio: two guitars, two bass, two drums. The 80s lineup + two more guys.
They play a bunch of stuff from the 80s as well as new material. The older stuff sounds fresh and, IMO, better with the extra musicians.
With the DVD on using the DTS sound, you're hit by a massive wall of fantastic noise. Squeaks and squonks, tunes and cacophony, burble, banter, bicker bicker bicker.
Thanks for the heads up on the Satch disk, Steve. I shall look into it.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
whats a "flipper"
That's a movie spread out over both sides of the disc. Think of it as the DVD equivalent of vinyl. Or laserdisc. :)
And I'd like to add in Stop Making Sense, the awesome Talking Heads concert film. Great directing, great performances, excellent bonus material and three different sound mixes to play with.
Granted, you'd have to be a Talking Heads fan to really enjoy it, but I've convinced some people who aren't fans to watch it and they became converts in the end.
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

Ted Kontos

Stunt Coordinator
Pat Metheny Group Live in Japan is an excellent sounding/looking dvd if you're a jazz/Metheny fan. Interviews between the songs but you can skip past them after the first time.
------------------
--------
Ted K.
"Wait here. Be right back"
-Godot

KevinW

Stunt Coordinator
I've always been really pleased with my Eric Clapton and Friends dvd. It includes David Sanborn, Sheryl Crow, Mary J. Blige, and Bob Dylan. Includes a good DD 5.1 mix and PCM Stereo. Absolutley no frills, but excellent music, especially the cuts River of Tears and Old Love.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Procol Harum: Best of Musikladen
Nothing fancy as far as the DVD goes, just great music.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Weird Al Live
Except for the synch problems (that I'm sure are on the master tape) the Cranberries Live in Paris is anamorphic and has a killer 5.1 track
Jeff Kleist

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks