-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WTB: Your unused Windows 98 SE disc

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit

• 453 posts
  • LocationCastaic, CA

Posted October 09 2003 - 06:22 AM

Hi,

I need some copies of Windows 98 SE. I'm not sure what the "rules" are for selling your copy, so maybe someone can clarify them for me. I need the full install licences.

If someone had 98SE, and upgraded to XP, they need to keep the original 98SE discs, right? But if someone had a computer with Windows 98SE and they no longer use the computer at all (i.e. it was thrown away, parted out, or overwritten with a full install of XP), then they can sell their original Windows 98 SE, right?

Anyway, I'd like to pay $25 if anyone has an old copy lying around.

Thanks.

#2 of 3 Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor

• 982 posts

Posted October 09 2003 - 11:57 AM

FWIW, it is illegal to sell MS OS (or any MS software) that were bundled with machines (see EULA)..

#3 of 3 Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard

Screenwriter

• 2,314 posts

Posted October 09 2003 - 12:58 PM

I have a copy of Windows 98 (first version) that came with my long-gone Gateway. I also have the Windows 98 Second Edition Updates disc (ordered direct from the MS website a couple of years ago).

As per above, you can have the first version for free, but the updates disc will cost you $15 (shipped), and they stay together.Posted Image

I assume that's legal? I can also assure you that no computer is currently "tied to" this piece in any way.

Todd
I love to singa, about the moon-a, and the june-a, and the springa...
-Owl Jolson