What's new

Peter Jacksons' "Forgotten Silver"..Where Is It??? (1 Viewer)

Mike_Pal

Agent
I sure would like to see a DVD of Peter Jacksons' spoof, "Forgotten Silver". It was on DVD at one time, then disappeared......I remember seeing it once, and thought it was the perfect blending of documentary and spoof.....a really clever little movie......anyone know anything about a DVD re-release, or is there anyone who has ever even seen it???
Great little undiscovered gem...And now that Peter Jackson is a little more famous...........

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Yeah, it was readily available a year ago, now it seems to be OOP and sells for ridiculous amounts on Ebay. I ordered if a while ago from DigitalEyes.net but it's on backorder and I'm pretty sure I'll never get it.

Mike_Pal

Agent
Yeah, I saw one go on eBay last week go for around $79.00....!!! Wow!!! Not bad for a $14.95 DVD from just a few years ago....right before "Lord of the Rings" changed Peter Jacksons career forever.....I bought a VHS copy for $10.00 recently, but would sure like a copy on DVD......they could do a great "special edition" now, and sell millions!!!! It is a great little undiscovered gem...more people should see this film........they should see all of Mr. Jacksons films.....he is a great storyteller!!! New Zealand style!!!!!:b

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
Wow...I never knew. I was putting together my list of some DVDs to sell and Forgotten Silver is on it. Thanks for the heads up or I wouldn't have known its value.

Mike_Pal

Agent
I have to believe the marketing machine wheels have already started turning....anything by Peter Jackson will finally and DESERVEDLY SO get the special treatment now........certainly got to be alot more interest now about what has been going on down there in New Zealand........and what Peter Jackson has been cooking up for the last 15 years.....
so hurry up to get top dollar for your DVD copy...pretty soon they will(or should) be available..
I was hoping someone knew something about more Peter Jackson releases finally being done properly, and "Fogotten Silver" is one of the most obscure.....

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Meanwhile, here in New Zealand, home of Mr Jackson, the only films of his we can get on DVD are The Frighteners and Lord Of The Rings.

No Bad Taste
No Braindead (aka Dead Alive)
No Heavenly Creatures
No Forgotten Silver (even OOP)

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
You know its is all fine and dandy when an underground director finally hits it big and becomes such a success. I don't have nay problems with that at all but what I hate is when whatever project made them big, gets splashed all over thier earlier lesser known works. I could care less about stickers on the shrink wrap saying "FROM THE DIRECTOR OF blah blah blah " That's fine what really pissed me off about Anchor Bay's Bad Taste was them adding a GOLD RING to the aliens finger. That is the stupidest thing ever. I hate that cover. It looks dumb and it obscures the original artwork. I have the original Magnum laser disc and it had a extra sticker of a finger put on the cover and it came off clean. So at least I have the unadulturated artwork.

--Ian

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Forgotten Silver is OOP? A shame, as I consider it Jackson's second-best work to date (after Heavenly Creatures), and its appeal to movie buffs (especially silent film fans) is large.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Silver trick people into thinking that everything in the movie was real after it had aired in New Zealand? Any film that does this deserves to be readily available at all video stores. :)

Sure am glad I picked this up a year ago for $20...

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Silver trick people into thinking that everything in the movie was real after it had aired in New Zealand?
Yes it did. I never saw it when it first aired, and the first I knew about it were the irate people complaining about it, saying "I do not watch documentarys to be lied to". (You'd think the fact that it was playing in a regular one-off drama slot might cause them to think it wasn't real). Then there were the other people who were very smug "I knew it was fake from the moment they had the eggs".

It would have been interesting to watch, not knowing that it wasn't true.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Quote: I don't have nay problems with that at all but what I hate is when whatever project made them big, gets splashed all over thier earlier lesser known works. I could care less about stickers on the shrink wrap saying "FROM THE DIRECTOR OF blah blah blah "

I agree, although I had to laugh when I saw that on the Bad Taste DVD, just thinking about someone who really like LOTR blindly buying it, and then being horibbly offended by it.

I wish all his early films would get a reworking, especially DEAD/Alive, as the Trimark DVD has a pretty week transfer, and it's my favorite Jackson picture.

Heck they should just redo all of them in 4 disc special editons, why shoul LOTR get all the glory!;)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Yes it did. I never saw it when it first aired, and the first I knew about it were the irate people complaining about it, saying "I do not watch documentarys to be lied to". (You'd think the fact that it was playing in a regular one-off drama slot might cause them to think it wasn't real). Then there were the other people who were very smug "I knew it was fake from the moment they had the eggs".

It would have been interesting to watch, not knowing that it wasn't true.
One of my favorite parts of the dvd was when the guy who was the lead actor in the film mentioned watching it with his girlfriend and family and that they were apparently so absorbed in the "history" they were seeing that they didn't even realize that he was right there in the film :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks