What's new

What kind of collector you are? (1 Viewer)

Sergio Martorel

Second Unit
1. THE ANAL-RETENTIVE COLLECTOR.

Buys all Special Editions and boxed sets just because, uh, they´re special and come in nice boxes. Completist to the extreme, has all the Criterion DVDs just because they´re numbered, and a gap in the numeration is something he just can´t stand. Prefer movies with anamorphic enhancement and DTS track just to show off his top-of-the-line HT. Watches 1.33:1 movies like CITIZEN KANE in strech mode, but is bummed all the same because the sound is mono. Rarely watches a DVD more than once, if at all.

2. THE MOVIE BUFF.

Not a completist per se, but has a multi-system, region-free set and searches all over the world for THE best editions of their favourite movies. Prefer OAR and uncut editions, but doesn´t give much of a bean about DTS cause, back in the day of the theaters, before the video boom, the sound wasn´t THAT good anyway. Actually watches his DVDs lots of times.

3. THE CASUAL BUYER.

Has only a bunch of DVD he REALLY likes, and watches them a lot with the family and friends. Goes out, has a social life and even a guh-guh-guh-GIRLFRIEND!!!

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I am category 2.

I thoroughly enjoy movies, probably moreso than the average person. There are certain things I strongly adhere to, but if there are multiple movies in a series, or by a certain director that I don't like, I won't buy a movie, just to complete a set or a series. Things like a single line of dialogue changed (Day of the Dead) or differences in the LFE level compared to the same movie on Laserdisc aren't important enough for me to go on a crusade or boycott the movie for.

I strongly prefer OAR, but if I like a movie enough, and non-OAR is only what is available, I will still buy it.

My display is capable of displaying anamorphic 16x9 widescreen, so I really prefer movies that have it, but there are several in my collection that are not...I just sit farther away from the screen! :D

I like DTS and have the ability to play it back. I will choose DTS whenever it is available, but I'll be honest, in most instances, I can't tell the difference, and it doesnt bother me if a movie doesn't have it available.

I do not have a region free player, because in time, everything I've ever wanted that wasn't available in my region (1) eventually does become available.

I love movies, not supplements. If a supplement is there, I might watch it, might not. If not, I really couldn't care less. I have no interest in movies available in other regions with more supplements than the ones in my region, and will not buy a re-release of a DVD, unless there is an improvement in either the A/V quality, or possibly for an alternate cut of the movie.

I have over 400 DVDs, and will purchase a DVD without ever seeing the movie if I read enough positive reviews about it online, however, I do not make it common to scour the release lists for something to buy every Tuesday unless its something I really want.

I think that about sums me up.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Category 2 for me, with a few additional comments.

If a DVD is non-anamorphic I usually will not buy it, unless I really love the film..

I like extras but don't base a purchase around them.

Oh and yes I still have a social life. :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

Well, that's sort of true. There are also preamps and power amps, widescreen displays with DVI inputs, tower speakers systems, subwoofers, DVD-Audio, SACD, universal disc players, and Blu-Ray. And Home Theater Forum.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Basically 2, although I won't buy non-OAR and I don't have any non-R1 discs. There are certainly things more important than movies (e.g., my family), but movies are my hobby, and very important to my quality of life.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I would have to be a Cat. 2
I love movies, I would like the best sound/picture available, but I won't right off a bad transfer of a movie i love. I don't have a WS TV or DTS capability, but I love my movies, and I love extras. A good selection of extras will make a marginal movie more enticing to my wallet.
But it has to be OAR ( I have slipped a couple of times, though...)
800 plus and climbing fast.

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
well I'll be 2 as well. but I won't buy anything cut or non OAR. I have many DVDs from all over the world depending on price and best version.

I remember that I had a life before DVD, gladly my Grilfriend sticks with me on this, bless her:b

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I think you've mashed multiple collector types into too few catagories. I'd suggest:

The Completist: Not only do they need every number of a series (Criterion), but could also buy every version of one movie (For collectors value).

The Show-Off: Only buys the most explosion-filled DVD's to better showcase their large-format televisions and surround sound systems with too much bass.

Genre Scholar: Might not know RSDL from Anamorphic Widescreen, but does have every splatter/gore title from 1975 - Present.

J6P: Has no DVD's predating 1995. Fullscreen if available. Collection leans haevily towards blockbusters and bad remakes.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I would be in Category 2 with a region free player and lead a very active social lfe indeed in which movies tend to be sometimes the main topic

My main dvd collection consists of classics from 1940 onwards to the 1980s with very few of the latest films.

Warner 2 disc editions, such as One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest and waiting for gems such as Robin Hood and Treasure

The Fox Studio Classics like All About Eve, How Green was my valley

Lots of Disney eg Snow White, 20000 Leagues and Tron

I could go on and on.

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
A category 2 to be sure! :)
I've got about 300 discs, a mixture of titles from all over the world. I'm particularly fond of Japanese cinema, all kinds of animation and Sergio Leone. I've been known to watch my favourite movies several times. I think 'My Neighbour Totoro' holds the current record ( about 12 times ).
I have several Criterions but **shock** I have them arranged out of numerical sequence on my shelf! :)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'm a combination of both 2 and 3.

I have not gone multi-regional yet, but I HAVE upgraded for quality (Lawrence of Arabia for a/v correction, Casablanca for supplements, Amadeus for director's cut, Fellowship of the Ring and soon, The Two Towers, for extras and extended cuts, soon Weird Al: The Videos for more content and 5.1 sound). I've also opted for more elaborate editions (Criterion's 8 1/2 and Notorious, Warner's Singin' In The Rain, Columbia's Monty Python/Holy Grail, Fox's 2-discers of Minority Report and Moulin Rouge, A&E's complete Mr. Bean set, the Image releases of Nosferatu, Phantom of the Opera, and Arbuckle/Keaton shorts.)

I buy 99% on the basis of the films. However, I will try to get the best possible versions of films. For example, I'm purchased Kino's Metropolis in lieu of Madacy's disc. I did the same for Milestone's Phantom of the Opera, Image's Nosferatu, etc. I have purchased two DVD's for the sake of collecting (Disneyland USA and the Universal Monsters 8-disc set), but I regard them as very entertaining now.

My home theater (and lately, my laptop :D) is at the dispose of the films. Of the 148 titles in my collection, only 16 have DTS. I have 50+ titles with mono sound.

I'm STRICTLY correct aspect ratio only. However, this doesn't mean that I won't accept DVD's with AR changes by the filmmakers. If Coppola and Stororo want a certain film in 2:1, I'm fine with that. I'm NOT fine with The Sound of Music in pan & scan 1.33:1, though. I also wish to see films in the form closest to their intended form. Thus, I purchased the Superbit Lawrence of Arabia just so I could experience the correct color timing and correct audio mixing. I will also pick and choose for silent films.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty much category 2. I don't have a multi-regional player though as I can't stand PAL speed-up and most everything from other NTSC regions eventually hits the US.

Sergio Martorel

Second Unit
I don't have a multi-regional player though as I can't stand PAL speed-up
What exactly is that speed-up you guys keep talking about??? I watch NTSC and PAL DVDs all the time and NEVER noticed anything weird. Just the frame scintilation on PAL movies, but it´s easy to get used to that.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I'm a category 3. I used to rank higher but over the past year or so I've only added a handfull of titles to my collection. As a matter of fact next week when I'm on vacation I'm seriously considering ebaying away 90% of my 120 or so title DVD collection. It's just been collecting dust so I figure I might as well thin it out a bit.

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
I'm number 1 to the max, sad to say. Hell, if I happen to get a grip of new dvds at a time (via, say, Columbia House) and some of them I've seen before, I'll leave it sealed until I watch it. By my count, I have about 31 still-shrinkwrapped DVDs in my collection. However, I will draw the line at completing certain movie or studio series. For example, I like to pretend that The Crow: Collector's Series is the only movie of the trilogy that ever existed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks