Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

What kind of collector you are?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
78 replies to this topic

#1 of 79 OFFLINE   Sergio Martorel

Sergio Martorel

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted October 08 2003 - 08:25 AM

1. THE ANAL-RETENTIVE COLLECTOR.

Buys all Special Editions and boxed sets just because, uh, they´re special and come in nice boxes. Completist to the extreme, has all the Criterion DVDs just because they´re numbered, and a gap in the numeration is something he just can´t stand. Prefer movies with anamorphic enhancement and DTS track just to show off his top-of-the-line HT. Watches 1.33:1 movies like CITIZEN KANE in strech mode, but is bummed all the same because the sound is mono. Rarely watches a DVD more than once, if at all.

2. THE MOVIE BUFF.

Not a completist per se, but has a multi-system, region-free set and searches all over the world for THE best editions of their favourite movies. Prefer OAR and uncut editions, but doesn´t give much of a bean about DTS cause, back in the day of the theaters, before the video boom, the sound wasn´t THAT good anyway. Actually watches his DVDs lots of times.

3. THE CASUAL BUYER.

Has only a bunch of DVD he REALLY likes, and watches them a lot with the family and friends. Goes out, has a social life and even a guh-guh-guh-GIRLFRIEND!!!

#2 of 79 OFFLINE   MikeEckman

MikeEckman

Screenwriter

• 1,087 posts

Posted October 08 2003 - 08:39 AM

I am category 2.

I thoroughly enjoy movies, probably moreso than the average person. There are certain things I strongly adhere to, but if there are multiple movies in a series, or by a certain director that I don't like, I won't buy a movie, just to complete a set or a series. Things like a single line of dialogue changed (Day of the Dead) or differences in the LFE level compared to the same movie on Laserdisc aren't important enough for me to go on a crusade or boycott the movie for.

I strongly prefer OAR, but if I like a movie enough, and non-OAR is only what is available, I will still buy it.

My display is capable of displaying anamorphic 16x9 widescreen, so I really prefer movies that have it, but there are several in my collection that are not...I just sit farther away from the screen! Posted Image

I like DTS and have the ability to play it back. I will choose DTS whenever it is available, but I'll be honest, in most instances, I can't tell the difference, and it doesnt bother me if a movie doesn't have it available.

I do not have a region free player, because in time, everything I've ever wanted that wasn't available in my region (1) eventually does become available.

I love movies, not supplements. If a supplement is there, I might watch it, might not. If not, I really couldn't care less. I have no interest in movies available in other regions with more supplements than the ones in my region, and will not buy a re-release of a DVD, unless there is an improvement in either the A/V quality, or possibly for an alternate cut of the movie.

I have over 400 DVDs, and will purchase a DVD without ever seeing the movie if I read enough positive reviews about it online, however, I do not make it common to scour the release lists for something to buy every Tuesday unless its something I really want.

I think that about sums me up.
Mike Eckman
Chicago Heights, IL
Music Webpage: http://www.metalreviewcentre.com
Car Webpage: http://www.metalrevi...com/transam.htm

#3 of 79 OFFLINE   Bryan_K

Bryan_K

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted October 08 2003 - 08:58 AM

Im a 3 & proud of it. Life aint all about dvd's. I have 80 or so.

#4 of 79 OFFLINE   Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers

Producer

• 3,481 posts

Posted October 08 2003 - 09:10 AM

Category 2 for me, with a few additional comments.

If a DVD is non-anamorphic I usually will not buy it, unless I really love the film..

I like extras but don't base a purchase around them.

Oh and yes I still have a social life. Posted Image
Top 10 Film Lists: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004
Film Lists: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005

#5 of 79 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted October 08 2003 - 09:13 AM

Life aint all about dvd's.

Well, that's sort of true. There are also preamps and power amps, widescreen displays with DVI inputs, tower speakers systems, subwoofers, DVD-Audio, SACD, universal disc players, and Blu-Ray. And Home Theater Forum.

#6 of 79 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted October 08 2003 - 09:16 AM

Basically 2, although I won't buy non-OAR and I don't have any non-R1 discs. There are certainly things more important than movies (e.g., my family), but movies are my hobby, and very important to my quality of life.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#7 of 79 OFFLINE   ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter

• 1,657 posts

Posted October 08 2003 - 09:17 AM

I would have to be a Cat. 2
I love movies, I would like the best sound/picture available, but I won't right off a bad transfer of a movie i love. I don't have a WS TV or DTS capability, but I love my movies, and I love extras. A good selection of extras will make a marginal movie more enticing to my wallet.
But it has to be OAR ( I have slipped a couple of times, though...)
800 plus and climbing fast.

#8 of 79 OFFLINE   Tom_Bechet

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted October 08 2003 - 09:45 AM

well I'll be 2 as well. but I won't buy anything cut or non OAR. I have many DVDs from all over the world depending on price and best version.

I remember that I had a life before DVD, gladly my Grilfriend sticks with me on this, bless her:b

Maybe this world is another planet's hell
Aldous Huxley

#9 of 79 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted October 08 2003 - 10:36 AM

I think you've mashed multiple collector types into too few catagories. I'd suggest:

The Completist: Not only do they need every number of a series (Criterion), but could also buy every version of one movie (For collectors value).

The Show-Off: Only buys the most explosion-filled DVD's to better showcase their large-format televisions and surround sound systems with too much bass.

Genre Scholar: Might not know RSDL from Anamorphic Widescreen, but does have every splatter/gore title from 1975 - Present.

J6P: Has no DVD's predating 1995. Fullscreen if available. Collection leans haevily towards blockbusters and bad remakes.
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#10 of 79 OFFLINE   Sergio Martorel

Sergio Martorel

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted October 08 2003 - 10:50 AM

What´s a J6P?

#11 of 79 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted October 08 2003 - 10:50 AM

I would be in Category 2 with a region free player and lead a very active social lfe indeed in which movies tend to be sometimes the main topic

My main dvd collection consists of classics from 1940 onwards to the 1980s with very few of the latest films.

Warner 2 disc editions, such as One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest and waiting for gems such as Robin Hood and Treasure

The Fox Studio Classics like All About Eve, How Green was my valley

Lots of Disney eg Snow White, 20000 Leagues and Tron

I could go on and on.
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#12 of 79 OFFLINE   Sean Campbell

Sean Campbell

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted October 08 2003 - 11:06 AM

A category 2 to be sure! Posted Image
I've got about 300 discs, a mixture of titles from all over the world. I'm particularly fond of Japanese cinema, all kinds of animation and Sergio Leone. I've been known to watch my favourite movies several times. I think 'My Neighbour Totoro' holds the current record ( about 12 times ).
I have several Criterions but **shock** I have them arranged out of numerical sequence on my shelf! Posted Image

#13 of 79 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,477 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted October 08 2003 - 11:09 AM

I'm a combination of both 2 and 3.

I have not gone multi-regional yet, but I HAVE upgraded for quality (Lawrence of Arabia for a/v correction, Casablanca for supplements, Amadeus for director's cut, Fellowship of the Ring and soon, The Two Towers, for extras and extended cuts, soon Weird Al: The Videos for more content and 5.1 sound). I've also opted for more elaborate editions (Criterion's 8 1/2 and Notorious, Warner's Singin' In The Rain, Columbia's Monty Python/Holy Grail, Fox's 2-discers of Minority Report and Moulin Rouge, A&E's complete Mr. Bean set, the Image releases of Nosferatu, Phantom of the Opera, and Arbuckle/Keaton shorts.)

I buy 99% on the basis of the films. However, I will try to get the best possible versions of films. For example, I'm purchased Kino's Metropolis in lieu of Madacy's disc. I did the same for Milestone's Phantom of the Opera, Image's Nosferatu, etc. I have purchased two DVD's for the sake of collecting (Disneyland USA and the Universal Monsters 8-disc set), but I regard them as very entertaining now.

My home theater (and lately, my laptop Posted Image) is at the dispose of the films. Of the 148 titles in my collection, only 16 have DTS. I have 50+ titles with mono sound.

I'm STRICTLY correct aspect ratio only. However, this doesn't mean that I won't accept DVD's with AR changes by the filmmakers. If Coppola and Stororo want a certain film in 2:1, I'm fine with that. I'm NOT fine with The Sound of Music in pan & scan 1.33:1, though. I also wish to see films in the form closest to their intended form. Thus, I purchased the Superbit Lawrence of Arabia just so I could experience the correct color timing and correct audio mixing. I will also pick and choose for silent films.

#14 of 79 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted October 08 2003 - 12:50 PM

I'm pretty much category 2. I don't have a multi-regional player though as I can't stand PAL speed-up and most everything from other NTSC regions eventually hits the US.
My Collection

#15 of 79 OFFLINE   Sergio Martorel

Sergio Martorel

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted October 08 2003 - 01:11 PM

Quote:
I don't have a multi-regional player though as I can't stand PAL speed-up

What exactly is that speed-up you guys keep talking about??? I watch NTSC and PAL DVDs all the time and NEVER noticed anything weird. Just the frame scintilation on PAL movies, but it´s easy to get used to that.

#16 of 79 OFFLINE   Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson

Screenwriter

• 1,950 posts

Posted October 08 2003 - 01:28 PM

I'm a category 3. I used to rank higher but over the past year or so I've only added a handfull of titles to my collection. As a matter of fact next week when I'm on vacation I'm seriously considering ebaying away 90% of my 120 or so title DVD collection. It's just been collecting dust so I figure I might as well thin it out a bit.

#17 of 79 OFFLINE   Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted October 08 2003 - 01:33 PM

Hopeless Otaku.

Posted Image

#18 of 79 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted October 08 2003 - 01:34 PM

If you're pitch sensitive, 4% PAL speed-up is quite noticeable in music.
My Collection

#19 of 79 OFFLINE   Gregg Shiu

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit

• 420 posts

Posted October 08 2003 - 01:37 PM

I'm number 1 to the max, sad to say. Hell, if I happen to get a grip of new dvds at a time (via, say, Columbia House) and some of them I've seen before, I'll leave it sealed until I watch it. By my count, I have about 31 still-shrinkwrapped DVDs in my collection. However, I will draw the line at completing certain movie or studio series. For example, I like to pretend that The Crow: Collector's Series is the only movie of the trilogy that ever existed.
"-king sixty-three hundred dollar suit! COME ON!" - Gob

John 3:16My DVD CollectionMy CD Collection

#20 of 79 OFFLINE   Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted October 08 2003 - 02:16 PM

I don't know anymore.....

Posted Image