-

Photo

What is a transfer?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Greg Lovern

Greg Lovern

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted August 28 2001 - 07:57 AM

What exactly is a transfer?

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   John GB

John GB

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted August 28 2001 - 08:22 AM

It allows you to ride more than one bus Posted Image

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

------------------

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Mike_Skill

Mike_Skill

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted August 28 2001 - 08:23 AM

'Transfer' is the theatrical movies 'Transfer' from film to a home video source.

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,070 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted August 28 2001 - 08:24 AM

In general, it's the rendering of a film product into a video format. It is used somewhat loosely around these parts, but most typically it is used in reference to the rendering of a film's image on a consumer home video format such as DVD inclusive of creation of a digital master and compression of said master to the data stream on the disc. In the case of purely digital projects such as Toy Story, it amounts to a transformation of digital data from one format to another, but it usually involves the scanning of film into the video domain.

Regards,

------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted August 28 2001 - 08:59 AM

quote:
the rendering of a film's image on a consumer home video format such as DVD inclusive of creation of a digital master and compression of said master to the data stream on the disc. [/quote] That definition is a little too broad. Technically, the "transfer" is complete when the source program has been brought from its original medium (usually, film) into the video realm (usually hi-def digital video, in the current state of technology), with whatever picture adjustment and color correction may be necessary to obtain the best video representation of the image.

A transfer is done by a telecine colorist, who usually has little or no involvement in subsequent procedures such as compression or DVD authoring.

M.

[Edited last by Michael Reuben on August 28, 2001 at 04:00 PM]
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Mitty

Mitty

Supporting Actor

• 886 posts

Posted August 28 2001 - 11:52 AM

What's a diorama?

Posted Image

(Sorry, couldn't resist. Yours is a perfectly legit question, but this just popped into my fat head.)

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,037 posts

Posted August 28 2001 - 12:21 PM

Is a transfer a physical object? I always hear about studios "recycling laserdisc transfers" for DVD releases. On what medium are these transfers stored?

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted August 28 2001 - 03:44 PM

Quote:
Is a transfer a physical object?
The term is used to refer to both the procedure and its end result. With current technology, a transfer is usually stored on digital tape (usually what's known as a "D1 master").

M.

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,037 posts

Posted August 28 2001 - 05:22 PM

This is interesting. Could someone provide a more detailed explanation of the whole procedure, or a link where I might find such a description?

I've heard of D1 and D2. What's the difference? What do they stand for? What sort of resolution is this transfer in? I'm interesting in all this stuff.

Thanks for your help.

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,070 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted August 29 2001 - 01:08 AM

quote:
definition is a little too broad. [/quote]That's what I meant by saying "in general" and "it is used somewhat loosely around these parts". Example: forum members complain about the "transfer" of The Sound of Music. There could be, theoretically, a near perfect hi-def master of TSoM that has been ruined by poor compression and other video-realm alterations. Reviewers will still call it a bad transfer. Incorrect usage? Probably. Common usage? Definitely.

Regards,

------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

[Edited last by Ken_McAlinden on August 29, 2001 at 08:31 AM]
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 02:09 AM

Ken, I noted your qualifiers, but I was trying to answer, as literally as possible, the question that started this thread: "What exactly is a transfer?"

Carl, if you can find someone with a good collection of back issues of Widescreen Review, I recommend a column that ran from 1994-95 called "Inside Telecine". Most of the entries were written by Marc Wielage, a top telecine colorist (I believe he participates occasionally in the Advanced forum). The column predated DVD, and obviously there have been technical advances, but Marc's explanation of the basic process was so clear and effective that it's still worth reading if you can find it. Unfortunately, I don't think any of the older Widescreen articles are available on their website.

M.

[Edited last by Michael Reuben on August 29, 2001 at 09:10 AM]

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 04:28 AM

I've just alerted Marc Wielage regarding the existence of this thread so perhaps he'll chime in to answer some questions. Of course, Marc is an extremely busy man so I'm not presuming to speak for him.

We'll see...

------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]

My HT (latest update 02/05/01)

RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
CLICK HERE to visit My HT HTF Rules and Regulations

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Tim_P_76

Tim_P_76

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 03:21 PM

"What exactly is a transfer"

Aha!!! It's a Warner exec in disguise! Posted Image
I am currently always swamped watching my ginormous 20% off sale orders from DeepDiscountDVD...