Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official KILL BILL VOLUME 1 Discussion Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
406 replies to this topic

#1 of 407 OFFLINE   ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted September 30 2003 - 04:50 PM

Good article about the Oscar race and has a blurb about Kill Bill:
I'm under a review-embargo agreement, but have you ever read and heard so much negative stuff about a movie you've started to believe it's your own negative stuff, and on top of this you've allowed your cynicism about the editing and selling of a film to affect your view of what this film may actually turn out to be? But then you finally see the film and you come out staggering and amazed and resolved never to let advance hype affect your expectations again? I'm not referring to anything specific, of course, but you know what I mean.

Never believe anything you read and only half of what you see. Unless you've just seen a movie that's re-written and re-booted your programming and left you startled and turned around. Hypothetically speaking, that is.
http://www.moviepoop...here/index.html

Posted Image

#2 of 407 OFFLINE   Thi Them

Thi Them

Producer

• 3,650 posts

Posted September 30 2003 - 04:57 PM

Did anyone see Tarantino on The Tonight Show? He was totally drunk!

~T

#3 of 407 OFFLINE   Sean Moon

Sean Moon

Screenwriter

• 2,045 posts

Posted September 30 2003 - 05:57 PM

I think I remember reading somewhere that the fights in this movie are not wire fu like Matrix and Crouching Tiger...that the fights would be more grounded and normal like Fist of Legend. Except for the old manin the trailer...that he is the sole person with the secrets of wire fu...that would kick ass. I cant remember where i read this though.
http://doctordoom.blogspot.com

We must stand in awe of the infinite capacity of the human mind to reject the introduction of useful knowledge.

#4 of 407 OFFLINE   Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor

• 953 posts

Posted October 01 2003 - 01:17 PM

Until I saw it in an article the other day, I didn't even realize that the fight scene with the 88 dudes is similar to the one in the Matrix Reloaded. That's when I realized the brilliance of the film I have yet to see. Uma Thurman actually fights 88 dudes. There is no CGI! Everyone is really there in that room. Just the thought of that alone makes me giddy inside. It's not really that important but in a way, it's everything the movie embodies (That I have yet to see).

P.S. Only 10 more days!!
Danny Federici, we'll meet you in the land of hope and dreams

#5 of 407 OFFLINE   Cory Pals

Cory Pals

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted October 01 2003 - 04:50 PM

Does anyone know the name of the music they use in the TV spots? The music with the horns in it. Just curious.

Corman
10/15/2003- Mr. Tony read my e-mail on the Tony Kornheiser Show!
12/29/2009- Mr. Tony read my e-mail on the Tony Kornheiser Show!

#6 of 407 OFFLINE   Thi Them

Thi Them

Producer

• 3,650 posts

Posted October 01 2003 - 05:34 PM

Here's a clip from Tarantino's appearance on Leno: http://www.themovieb....lip1-leno.html

~T

#7 of 407 OFFLINE   Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor

• 867 posts

Posted October 01 2003 - 05:41 PM

Dude, he is so wasted. What the hell?! Posted Image

-Dennis
He must have died while carving it!...

#8 of 407 OFFLINE   Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted October 01 2003 - 06:17 PM

Filmmaker Quentin Tarantino appeared to take advantage of the open bar backstage at Jay Leno's "Tonight" show on Monday.

Leno joked, "don't light a match in here," in the midst of Tarantino's rambling, occasionally incoherent, guest shot. Tarantino was on the show to promote his new movie, "Kill Bill: Vol. 1," set for release Oct. 10.

Before getting to the film clip, their discussion included references to Leno's old curly haircut, Elvis Presley's rockabilly years and a "Golden Girls" audition.

"Have you been drinking tonight?" Leno asked.

Tarantino responded that he thought he'd bring back the spirit of Johnny Carson's "Tonight" show. "You have an open bar backstage," he reminded Leno.

His appearance ended shortly after an impatient Leno introduced a film clip. There will be no repercussions from the incident, "Tonight" show spokeswoman Carrie Simons said Tuesday.

(Source: Yahoo! )

#9 of 407 OFFLINE   Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted October 01 2003 - 06:18 PM

Oh, btw, saw the flick.

QT fans should not be disappointed...except if they're looking for that patented Tarantino dialogue. The monologues are sparse. Posted Image

The action is plentiful. Posted Image

That's all I'm sayin' for now!

#10 of 407 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted October 01 2003 - 06:19 PM

Tarrintino may be right on; but can't bring back the Ghost of Carson, Leno isn't that caliber of interviewer *shrug* I still miss Johnny..

Back to the subject of the thread: the more I see of Kill Bill, the more I think this film will be one that will definitely have me there opening weekend. Best thing coming out for a while, at least to me Posted Image
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#11 of 407 OFFLINE   Peter Kim

Peter Kim

Screenwriter

• 1,577 posts

Posted October 01 2003 - 06:23 PM

Scott - I like your reviews. I like QT's work. As you can guess, I'm pretty anxious to hear your thoughts.

When can we see your review?
my girls rock Balenciaga & smoke mad marijuana - M.O.B.

#12 of 407 OFFLINE   Dominik Droscher

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted October 01 2003 - 07:15 PM

Kevin, about the 88 dudes:

BUDD
You tryin to tell me she cut her way through eighty-eight bodyguards 'fore she got to O-Ren?

BILL
No. There wasn't really eighty eight of them, they just called themselves The Crazy 88.

BUDD
Why.

BILL
I dunno, I guess they thought it sounded cool. Anyhow, she had about 26 or 27 around her when (BLEEP) attacked. They all fell under her Hanzo sword.

Posted Image

#13 of 407 OFFLINE   Nathan V

Nathan V

Supporting Actor

• 960 posts

Posted October 02 2003 - 02:40 AM

FYI, Kill Bill has been rated R (duh) for strong bloody violence, language, and some sexual content. It's interesting that the film just got rated, since it comes out in 8 days.
The Tree of Life / Brad Pitt / Sean Penn / Directed by Terrence Malick / 2010

#14 of 407 OFFLINE   Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor

• 953 posts

Posted October 04 2003 - 06:16 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know the name of the music they use in the TV spots? The music with the horns in it. Just curious.

Corman, the title of the instrumental piece used in the promos is Battle Without Honor or Humanity by Tomoyasu Hotei. The music is brilliant and is included on the Kill Bill soundtrack which I just ordered. I got it for a shocking $0.40. I guess I had a giftcard I didn't know I had.

#15 of 407 OFFLINE   Thi Them

Thi Them

Producer

• 3,650 posts

Posted October 05 2003 - 03:40 AM

Ebert and Roeper gave it "two thumbs way up!"

~T

#16 of 407 OFFLINE   ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted October 05 2003 - 12:01 PM

This may deserve a thread of its own, but there are talks of Kill Bill creating a split between Miramax and Disney. It seems that the movie is too violent for Mouse executives:
A top DISNEY source reveals chairman Michael Eisner has become concerned MIRAMAX is pushing the envelope too far with KILL BILL.

"Look, the movie is ultimately a WALT DISNEY concern, we've moved so far away from PINOCCHIO and BAMBI," a top DISNEY source said from Burbank. "[KILL BILL] has led to a deep reassesment of the situation and relationship [with MIRAMAX]."

It will be interesting to see what happens. Can Disney afford to lose Pixar and Miramax?

This comes from a Drudeg Report exclusive:
http://drudgereport.com/mattqt.htm

#17 of 407 OFFLINE   Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor

• 953 posts

Posted October 05 2003 - 02:39 PM

Quote:
If you are a cool parent out there go take your kids to the movie

Quote:
If you are a girl or boy you must go and see KILL BILL and you will have a damn good time.

Quote:
Tarantino explained the film would be okay for kids starting at 12-years old.

Posted Image Classic Tarantino.

Quote:
The Most Violent American Movie Ever Made

Posted Image Oh baby, oh baby!

I think the whole idea of Miramax and Disney splitting over this movie is both absurd and hilarious. I mean, if they could allow the 200+ f-bomb, neo-violent classics "Pulp Fiction" and "Reservoir Dogs", surely they could handle this. How violent can it be? My only conern is if they do in fact split, the DVD release/releases (If only. I don't care if he puts out 5 versions. I would buy them all) may be mishandled.

My mouth just waters at the statements above. I have avoided all promos of Kill Bill until tonight. I saw a short spot during Alias. This has got my mouth watering. This statment will be true to me by the end of October 10th 2003:

Kill Bill: Volume One = Best movie of 2003 or possibly the decade.

Quote:
QT fans should not be disappointed...except if they're looking for that patented Tarantino dialogue. The monologues are sparse.

I don't care. I love his dialogue but it will not be missed. Not in a film like this anyway. Sometimes, his direction outshines his writing so no worries here.

#18 of 407 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,683 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted October 05 2003 - 03:16 PM

Miramax has always pushed the envelope and Disney knew this before they ever teamed up. And as long as it's rated "R" by MPAA, what's Disney's problem?
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#19 of 407 OFFLINE   David Fisher

David Fisher

Stunt Coordinator

• 167 posts

Posted October 05 2003 - 06:54 PM

Here are links to what I believe are the "spaghetti western" trailers. I'm not sure if they've been linked before or not, and I can't link correctly because I haven't posted enough.

ww.themoviebox.net/trailers/kill-bill/kill-bill_trailer1.mov

ww.themoviebox.net/trailers/kill-bill/kill-bill_trailer2.mov
"Keep watch over absent meaning."
--Maurice Blanchot

#20 of 407 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted October 06 2003 - 12:44 AM

My favorite critics review......

http://movie-reviews....ill_bill1.html

Back to Movies (Theatrical)