Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Yamaha "front effects"?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 JoshuaT

JoshuaT

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted October 06 2003 - 04:21 PM

Are any of you running the front effects channels on your Yamaha rec? I have an RXV3300 but I haven't tried them yet, I was wondering ig they were worth it... any opinions?

~josh

#2 of 5 Edwin_C

Edwin_C

Stunt Coordinator

• 113 posts

Posted October 06 2003 - 08:25 PM

I don't have a receiver that has that option. However, the front effects channels are used to output the DSP information. Having them on leaves the front left/right channels untainted. If you don't use the DSP settings then you won't get any benefit from them.

By not having speakers connected to them, all you're doing is having the information mixed in with the front left/right.

Wire 2 surrounds in the front, and give it a go. If you think it helps out with the DSP, and you use the DSP then by all means go for it. But, don't think that it's 2 extra channels that're derived on normal non-DSP use.

#3 of 5 DonnyD

DonnyD

Screenwriter

• 1,154 posts

Posted October 07 2003 - 12:05 AM

I've had a 2095 Yam and now a RX-V1 Yam that has the front effect option and usually use it. Having moved to a home with a little less LR space, I have not hooked them up yet and do feel that I am missing a little.
When I had them hooked up at my last home, I definitely knew they were there while using a few of the dsp modes. They really work best when the room is fairly large and they can be placed per the recommended spacing.
Just about any speaker will be ok so I wouldn't go out and spend a lot of money just to have front effects but......imho... I think they are worth having. Helps "spread" the front imaging really well for movies....BTW, I really liked the Movie Theater "spectacle" mode..........
"There comes a time in the lives of men, when taken at the tide, you're liable to ****ing drown..." R. Farina
"or go broke due to upgraditis..." D. Davis

#4 of 5 Jon Carlson

Jon Carlson

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted October 07 2003 - 12:09 PM

I second the above post. I also have an RX-V2095 and feel the front effects speakers make the soundstage more expansive than when they're not used. Try it with some speakers you already own before you buy anything, since I believe the frequency range sent to the front effects is fairly limited. I enjoy the soundstage the front effects provides, definitely worth using in our 16x22 HT room, but ymmv. This is more than 'try it and see if you like it' - you probably will like it.

#5 of 5 Jeffrey Stanton

Jeffrey Stanton

Stunt Coordinator

• 113 posts

Posted October 24 2003 - 08:49 AM

I've got a DSP-A1 and have the front effects on at all times. It makes the soundstage noticeably bigger in front. More "surround", which is what you want for surround sound/DD5.1/DTS...