What's new

Denon 2900.....I sure love it (1 Viewer)

Bruce Abar

Stunt Coordinator
I just cant help notice all the talk across the boards about the new denon 5900 in regards to the 2900..."I feel sorry for the people who bought the 2900"...."the 2900 was just a test"....."the real machine is the 5900". I just paid $1592.00can for the 2900 and very happy with it so far. The 2900 is the first high end dvd player I have ever own, but when I compare the unit to a $159.00can machine it is worth the money.This type of talk gets me all worked up to bring it back and spend another $1000.00can for the 5900.( but I cant my wife would kill me)All you denon 2900 owners step up to the plate, and let everyone know you love you Denon 2900!:D

Levesque

Supporting Actor
I don't think we should compare the 5900 and the 2900, because they are not in the same price range, and DenonJeff on AVS clearly state that the 5900 is meant to replace both the 3800 and the 9000, so kind of a flag-ship unit. the 5900 is not meant to compete with the 2900, not at all!

In his price range, the 2900 is probably the best buy. I've compared both in-house, and I think the biggest difference for me is the analog picture quality.

For SACD and DVD-A, the 5900 plainly sound better (to my ears), but that doesn't mean that the 2900 is a slouch... The 2900 is an outstanding universal players in this price range. And the 5900 is an incredible unit in another price range.

I think that if money is not an issue, then go for the 5900. But if you want to save a bit, and still own and awesome universal player go for the 2900.

Comparing the 5900 with the 2900 is like comparing the Pioneer 49tx with the 45tx. They don't compete each other, they are there for different customers and choices.

There is no competition here, but different preferences only.

ArnaudP

Stunt Coordinator
Bruce:

I got the 2900 in June and I still love it. I enjoy the picture detail ( I have actually never seen the alt fag issue) and my DVDA and SACD sound great.
Levesque is correct when he says that you should not compare the 2900 with the 5900. Remember, the 5900 is twice the price of the 2900.

CurtisC

Second Unit
Compare all they like,for less than 1k I'll take the 2900 anyday,I have zero buyers remorse.I knew as soon as I got the 2900 it was a keeper,now the latest reviews are proving its an outstandig machine(october S&V lab test I think it was).I'll pass on the 5900,JUST LIKE i PASSED ON THE 5303,if I'm gonna spend that kind of bread I'll move on up to high end.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I am also a proud 2900 owner and love it so far. I can't afford a 5900, but anyway, the 2900 is the best DVD player I've yet to own. The redbook CD playback alone is excellent with it easily going head to head with my NAD 541i (which will be going for sale in the marketplace section of this forum for $300.00). Btw, the 5900 IS NOT the replacement for the 9000 but the 3800. The new flagship will not be available until early next year and will be THX certified (missing from the 5900). Word is that the flagship will be made on a scale to easily integrate in with Denon's new forthcoming separate pre/amp line.

Reg

Levesque

Supporting Actor
''Btw, the 5900 IS NOT the replacement for the 9000 but the 3800.''

Reggie you are wrong. Go on AVS in the speacial guess section and see what DenonJeff from Denon told us:

''...the 5900 is really a replacement of both the 3800 and the 9000, and is our top-o-line DVD player. The upcoming 'DVD-1' will be completely different from anything previously offered. In fact, it is a different class of product along with the AVP and POA that was recently shown. Pricing isn't set, but I suspect it will be more than the 9000...''

Jeff Talmadge
Marketing and Product Manager
DENON Electronics (USA), Inc.

I think it's clear... the guy is the product manager... and just said it's Denon top-of-the-line DVD-player to replace the 3800 and 9000...

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I've just ordered the UK edition of the 2900 to replace my dearly-departed DV-09 earlier this year.

It's at the top of end of what I was willing to pay (£700 delivered) but it looks to be the best bet. I'm not using an enormous screen so I doubt I'll see any of the minor problems I've heard about.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
''...the 5900 is really a replacement of both the 3800 and the 9000, and is our top-o-line DVD player. The upcoming 'DVD-1' will be completely different from anything previously offered. In fact, it is a different class of product along with the AVP and POA that was recently shown. Pricing isn't set, but I suspect it will be more than the 9000...''
I guess Denon start to reckognise that the current "DVD" series "can't" command over 3k price tag.[like the 3000/9000]
I guess they create a new "higher end " series to cater for those who buys this stuff.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
Question: Does the Denon DVD 2900 play both DVD+R's and DVD-R's? I'm thinking about picking up either a 2900 or a 2200 in the next few months and this is an important determinant.

Thanks!

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Thanks Lewis.

I wonder what the DVD-1 will be like? regardless of what class it may fall in, there still will be people on AVS and this forum who are interested in purchasing it. I stand corrected, however, my point was that I knew Denon was coming out with a player higher on the totem pole than the 5900.

Reg

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I stand corrected, however, my point was that I knew Denon was coming out with a player higher on the totem pole than the 5900.
Yes that was the orginal plan I believe,I guess the marketing dept changed their mind,plus I'm not sure what else there is to surpass the 5900,unless a complete new design with ultra high end parts and construction to compete those 5+k players out there.
I can already see the ads in Stereophile. :)

Sonnie Parker

Second Unit
I just got my 2900 in and I would find it hard to believe that I would notice a dramatic improvement in a 5900... especially not ~1000$ or more worth of improvement. I only paid $549 for my 2900 (refurb) + $49.95 for a 2 year warranty.

However, I did notice a dramatic improvement over my Toshiba and I can say it was well worth the $250-300 more I spent over the cost of the Toshiba.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Sonnie.

There is alot of reports on different forums from 2900 users who made the switch to the 5900 that there is a considerable improvement on hi-rez formats, particularly, and for picture quality.

Do you really think that Denon would come out with a new player that will not outperformed the other players in the line marginally, for the price premium they ask for it? I mean for the hi-rez formats and the redbook CD's particularly...

I did compare the 2900 with the 5900 in-house. And it's definitely a better player. That's why they ask more money for it. For me, and for my ears, there is a dramatic improvement over the 2900. But it's my opinion and my ears only. We all have different needs and priority... I know more $$$ doesn't always grant better performance. But in the case of the 5900 over the 2900, it is.

Just look on different forums, and you will see that former 2900 users now using the 5900 all think that the money was well spent, and they all hear and see a difference.

BTW, Kris from Secrets did say on AVS that the 5900 looks like the best picture on the market right now, but they were waiting for the next shoot-out to know for sure.

For the money you have paid for it, the 2900 is unbeatable in that price range. No need to justify your expense over the 5900. It's a different player in a different price range. That's it. And probably that the next player from Denon in this price range will be better then the 5900...

Sonnie Parker

Second Unit
True Lévesque, I'm sure they will notice a difference and maybe it is enough to justify the difference they spent. That's why I said I would find it hard to believe I would notice a difference for ~1000$ or more price difference.

Keep in mind too that several paid 900$-1000$ for their 2900's and may not have had as much price differential to step up to the 5900 as I would have had.

And this is not to say that if and when the 5900's start rolling out on the refurb market that I wouldn't pick one up. There are some features I like (particularly DVI-D (HDCP) output with selectable 480p/720p/1080i) that I don't have now, just not worth 1000$ to me. 500$ maybe? I'll just have to wait and see what the refurb prices will be.

Do you really think that Denon would come out with a new player that will not outperformed the other players in the line marginally, for the price premium they ask for it?
And yes, I do believe Denon would do this. The proof is in the benchmarks already. Just look at the 1600/2900 vs the 9000 and the whopping price difference. Granted they are all ranked high but the the edge was given to the 1600.

It will no doubt be interesting to see the updated shootout reports.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Sonnie

And yes, I do believe Denon would do this. The proof is in the benchmarks already. Just look at the 1600/2900 vs the 9000 and the whopping price difference. Granted they are all ranked high but the the edge was given to the 1600.
Secrets is benchmarking the video only. I was talking about the hi-rez audio formats, sorry if it wasn't clear in my post. DenonJeff did say on AVS that the 9000 still sound better for DVD-A then the 5900.

And I'm sure the 9000 still do DVD-A way better then the 1600. But for video, you are right.

But Secrets don't evaluate how the hi-rez formats and redbook CD's are comparing between different player.

You are right. I should have been clearer. I just updated my post. Thank you.

Sonnie Parker

Second Unit
I almost purchased one of the 1600's because I watch more movies than anything.... but I wanted SACD and figured for only a couple hundred more I could get the universal 2900 and a little better build quality.

At some point in time the 5900 could end up in my cabinet but it will only be when the price is right. :)

Levesque

Supporting Actor
No irony here.

It's an universal player doing alot of things right.

I could have bought 3 players separetely (DVD-A, SACD and one for video) and paid alot more then for the 5900 or even the 9000.

But Denon sells a player doing all those thing the right way for my ears.

Some people are buying pieces of equipment over 10000$ only for AUDIO! Do you go out confronting them with their choices? Then you should go after all those 9000 owners in here before going after the 5900 owners...

The 5900 gives us the possibility to have one of the best picture AND good audio at the same time. What's so wrong about that?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks