What's new

Trading Spaces $100,000 (1 Viewer)

DeeF

Screenwriter
I thought this show really showed up the designers.

Though they each had $50,000 to spend, instead of the usual $1,000, the rooms looked little better. Both of the couples seemed more impressed by the plasma TV (donated by Sony!) than what the designers did with the rooms.

todd stone

Screenwriter
I thought it was kind of rude how they said they did not want to go back to a measely $1000, how do the other families must feel after a comment like that.

Also the lady at the end gloating how it was a one time deal.

DeeF

Screenwriter
The curtains in Laurie's family room were particularly hideous, and they cost $175 a yard!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Laurie threw in WAY too many knick-knacks, making the room look small and cramped.

And I found it hilarious how Paige and one of the shoppers were looking for high end appliances in Best Buy. And then the say they can't find anything. Imagine that.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Maybe we, the viewers, will really grasp the magnitude of how much $100,000 is, if they keep telling over and over that it's really a lot. It's important to stress "hundred" and "thousand" when ever one says, "one .... HUNDRED!!!! ... THOUSAND!!!! ... dollars". Also, say it this way every single time, and be sure to say it every couple of minutes.

Martin.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Laurie threw in WAY too many knick-knacks, making the room look small and cramped.

And I found it hilarious how Paige and one of the shoppers were looking for high end appliances in Best Buy. And then the say they can't find anything. Imagine that.
But the funniest was when Paige and the other woman thought they could buy 500 DVDs with $1,000. Ever get to fourth grade, kids?

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
One of the things that I found most interesting was that in the end Doug's room looked like a Doug room and Laurie's room looked like a Laurie room.

It just really struck me how much of the look in a room is really the cheaper stuff like paint. Now of course it was nice to get real hardwood floors, real (non MDF) wood tables, custom chairs etc.. But really those items have to do with the quality of the room not the look. Also I was surprised at the amount that the teams (with the at home home depot installers) accomplished in two days. Yeah they got a bunch of money but it was still tight getting everything done on time.

Laters,
Jeff

DeeF

Screenwriter
Well, installing an entire new kitchen in two days would be a task.

But I actually found that the time wasn't that cramped. Usually the couples have to do little art works, paint furniture (and slipcover it, or even reupholster chairs) in addition to the walls and ceilings. This time, almost all major work, like kitchen floors, cupboards, appliances, etc., was done by the outside contractors. I'd like to see how the budget was broken out, because I bet some of it went to pay contractors, something they don't usually do (in fact, they mentioned the price of the electrician.)

This time, almost everything was bought, complete with upholstery. In fact, I didn't really see the need for both Ty and Amy, though they obviously spent more time on their projects than usual. Ty had the mantel, the bookcase and that fun coffee table. Amy had the dining table.

Jodee

Screenwriter
It was funny too how they kept stressing the "hundred thousand dollars" when really it was $50,000 per room. During the regular show, they don't make a point to say $2000-- they instead stress the per-room budget which is $1000.

I think Laurie's room looked exactly how her room's always look. She always spends her money on over-priced fabrics that really don't make that much difference to the look of the roomanyway. I mean who touches curtains? Why would you need silk?

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
Thank goodness it was not Hildee, but I would have like to see what Vern would have pulled off.

I actually like the fabrics that Laurie chose for the curtains and with the price she paid ($175 yd) for it, that's about the regular price for a top quality silk and it does make a world of difference than using a cheap quality fabric for upholstery and drapery.

I don't believe that the rooms were done in two days, without a lot more help, even in the regular $1000 shows. Here in Canada we have the Debbie Travis's "Face-lift" and she has an army of professionals who do the work.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't as good as I thought it would be. Definately would have liked to see what Vern would have come up with with that type of budget. I didn't mind the constant flow of Home Depot shots, but I did with Sony, especially once they went shopping and the guy say "hey how about a Sony playstation?" almost right on cue.

One question, where were the speakers and components in Dougs room? I'm assuming the video and power cables were fed into the wall behind the tv, but there weren't any speakers of any kind anywhere and I didn't even spot the receiver or dvd player.

Laurie seemed to just pick out things that were expensive, just for the sake of buying stuff that was expensive. That was annoying everytime she went shopping or commented on a price.

Ty really got to show off some woodworking skill. Great stuff, and Amy's table was nice as well dispite the flawed planing by 'professionals'.

Most embarassing moment was definately the dvd fiasco. They should have just edited that out.

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
It was an interesting show. I thought Doug did a very good job, especially in how he spent the money. Rather than simply buying $3000 chairs and $5000 curtains he poured a great deal of the budget into craftsmen.

I imagine the $49,000 difference would be much greater in person, as the quality of the materials (wood, cabinets, wall treatment) is probably hidden by the camera. I am confident that much of the MDF crap they always throw together looks wretched in person.

Laurie's room was very strange. So much money on fabric and doo-dads! Things looked over-full and cluttered. The fabrics were strange and intrusive.

I will say that the wall unit Ty built has redeemed him as a carpenter in my eyes. It was beautiful, very well thought out and aesthetically pleasing.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Personally, I couldn't figure out how much money they were spending. I'm glad they repeated it every so often, just so I could retain the information. :rolleyes

Never thought I'd hear myself say this, but I LOVED Doug's room(s). Damn if he didn't make a nice space. Plus he spent wisely...workers...cabinets...and so on.

Laurie's room, while warm and comfy, was too crowded. And I agree...those curtains, despite their cost, were horrendous.

Ty's woodworking was just AWESOME...nice to see what he can do with real wood and a little more time. :D That mantle and wall unit AND end table he made were all great. Amy-Wynn's table was gorgeous too... I still can't believe that Doug wanted to stain mahogeny black. Yeesh.

Constant pimping was a little annoying...but I expected it the moment I heard about the show. There would be some MAJOR corporate sponsors for the 100,000 dollar show.

The budget WAS 100,000 right? ;)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Another thing strikes me: Doug did basically three rooms for the $50,000. Laurie did one. And that's all she was able to come up with. The mantle and cabinets were wonderful, but everything else was kind of...blah.

And when you stop to think about it, $1000 on DVD's isn't a whole lot. That's 10 season sets of a high-priced show like Star Trek. Then you have to add on tax...it sounds like more than it really is.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
I thought Laurie's room was "OK". LOTS of cash spent on the furnishings. I could not believe it as she was tallying up the costs of the chairs, love seats and sofa's that had arrived. In my brain it worked out to be about 50% of the entire budget, on 6 items! (Not counting the chair she bought right at the beginning of the show)...

Doug's room(s) were SO much better then the original stuff. My wife and I could not believe the fabric choices they had previously. Loved the look, but would hae been interested in seeing what they could do with a singel room as a HT, especially with free gear from Sony. Heck, I would take a free plasma TV!

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
It was funny too how they kept stressing the "hundred thousand dollars" when really it was $50,000 per room. During the regular show, they don't make a point to say $2000-- they instead stress the per-room budget which is $1000.
My thoughts exactly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks