What's new

DVD Reviews-Pixelization, Artifacting, Edge Enhancement (1 Viewer)

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
Nearly every DVD review I see mentions weaknesses in the video image referring to either pixelization, artifacting, and edge enhancement. If these are apparent to various reviewers that I assume are observing this with the naked eye, then why are the studios issuing movies on DVD with such apparent and easily correctable "faults"?

William Ward

Supporting Actor
It's not always apparent on smaller displays. But when viewed on front projectors or bigger TVs you can see it. Sometimes it's distracting(Die Hard with a Vengeance) and this is why reviewers mention it.
Yes, if whoever does the transfer would either turn off the EE or at least lower it, it would make some difference. Some say that it will soften the picture on smaller displays but if it can't be seen to begin with, it shouldn't be noticed if it's not there.
------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
It's not always the case that studios are putting out bad product. And it's not always the case that these faults are "easily correctable." Some of these faults are inhernet to DVD and there's only more or less of them instead of none.
As far as the reviewers, their job is to be picky. Just like a movie critic may harp on some plot hole, weak performance or cheezy dialogue that many viewers would probably overlook.
I like seeing reviews that get specific about these problems. I'm interested in just how DVD works, what's good or bad, which source material is difficult to reproduce, etc. I have developed a sensibility that I can enjoy a movie or video and ignore some faults, whereas some people learn about a problem and just can't watch it again. Of course, there are some things I just can't take, and that level is different for all of us.
The more important question, Jeff, is how does it look to you? If you're happy with the look, then the "faults" aren't really that important.
= Derek =

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks